Behind the ear, aid question. Scratchy noise?

This also happens with me. I also wear Phonaks. It most likely is your hair rubbing on the mic on top. move your HA. Move your hair or HA a little and see if it stops.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. Will talk to my audi to see if she can change anything and try to arrange my unit a bit different. Thanks.

I have that. If I just tap the hearing aid, it’s like styrofoam rubbing styrofoam. I assumed this was normal. The costco hearing aid fitter said this is how you check to make sure they’re on & you haven’t lost them. So, is this not normal?

While I use 3M medical tape to secure the wire next to my skin (keeps the silicone domes from sliding out of the ear canal & holds the BTE unit pretty stable), I think you may also benefit from a pair of EarGear sox. These are not cheap at $30+ at Amazon, but I slide these over my aids when getting my hair done. I’ve never detected any kind of hair rustle, diminished sound quality or negative issue at all with these sox that cover the entire BTE unit.

1 Like

That’s a neat deal. Think I’ll pick up a pr of those little socks.

I had that same problem until I added a hearing aid “sock” to each. Check them out on eBay. They stop the scratching noise.

Is it like this? :wink:

1 Like

Exactly. Like a bunch of albino dancing cats.

Real cool! Thanks! :sunglasses:

1 Like

You probably near a hair cut. Seriously, brush your hair, with your finger away from the HA microphone. My audi showed me when I complained. We had a great laugh. I now know when I need a haircut because unlike a lot of people, I hear it!

1 Like

If you want to put the sock on right, remove the silicone dome on your receiver, then slide the sock over the receiver, wire and onto the actual BTE aid itself. They are shaped to be put on like that.

Yes, it’s a bit of a hassle to reverse that process and remove them, but I have backup aids with the socks kept on them permanently. You simply slide the sock UP a bit over the wire to open the aid’s battery door at night.

Details!

1 Like

And then there’s us women … with HAIR. Drives me batty that my LEFT aid in particular seems to pick up a ton of hair rustling. I fantasize about a Cindy Lauper cut with the sides of my head SHAVED bald as an egg, and any longer hair left just flopping around in a mop. :older_woman:

I am another Ear Gear user—they eliminate some of the scratchy noises.

1 Like

That is true! I didn’t think about that till right now.

I love the LOOK of them! I have really zany, bright orange/red socks. They are so much sleeker, fit better, and stay put behind the ear than those GIGANTIC, flesh-colored BULB-shaped blobs. Never could understand why anyone would use them, cuz they add too much BULK to the precious real estate behind our ears.

1 Like

Every time I get a haircut the hairs just above the ears are just the right length to scratch against the microphones of my Phonak BTEs. I have to always slick them down and back when this happens - which works for a few minutes before it starts again!

Do you think the red / orange socks will go with my HAs? I can’t decide.

2 Likes

My left seems to pick up hair noise but my right doesn’t. It’s rather annoying.

LOVE those zany aids above - hey, wear ANY socks you like. The more color, the better!

OK. Oddly enough, my LEFT aid also picks up all the hair-rustling - so much so that I’ve contemplated shaving a 1" strip around that ear. I wonder if our LEFT aids are the dominant aid - the one that transmits phone calls and Acoustic Phone sound to the right aid?

I don’t remember having the sound much at all when I trialed with the Oticon OPN
but it’s been a constant minor issue with my phonaks. My audiolgist has incrementally tuned down something to fix it, and at one point till it was almost gone, but I feel like it just started to creep in on blocking other good sounds. We’ve found a compromise setting and I have mostly just gotten used to it.

I do resonate though with the “hearing that i need a haircut”! in fact I need one now, and think I’m going to ask for a little tighter around the ears this time just to see… I normally have it clippered with a 1-1/2 on the sides, maybe try a 1 this time.

1 Like

Having worn HA for 61 years I have found it depends on the location of the mike on your aid. The older aids had a cover over the mike that was opened to the front or the rear. It was hard for the hair to rub on the mike. The Phonak’s I wear have the mike on top where the hair is able to rub the mike. For me this happens for 4/5 days after a haircut until the hair grows out a little.