Before charge is gone…please help me find left (unpaired & Bluetooth “forgotten”) Oticon More hearing aid

Hello-I’m new to the forum and also to hearing aids—getting used to Oticon More. (Please excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong place or don’t yet know particular conventions of this forum). I’m hoping for some fairly quick advice for reconnecting a misplaced hearing aid before the battery charge runs out in about 16 hours. A traumatic brain injury that makes learning things harder (and also caused my hearing loss) and affects my memory and attention, so I lose things constantly now, including my new hearing aids. I’m thrilled and relieved these have tracking with my phone, but I think I messed up by telling my iPhone to “forget” them in the process of following bits of advice online elsewhere and would greatly appreciate any help you could offer for finding it with the Find My Hearing Aids feature.

Details: Somehow the left and right units got separated inside my house this afternoon. The right one was right where I remembered leaving both, but the left one is nowhere to be found, and is stubbornly elusive after quite a long while searching now and trying ti troubleshoot online.

Using the the Find My Hearing Aid feature in the Oticon app, the left one that is misplaced was showing as “disconnected” before I told my phone to “forget” the hearing aids. The right one was and is now again showing as connected afternoon I tried repairing/reconnecting s.

In trying to troubleshoot online, I read that causing my iPhone (13) to “forget” the devices and then reconnect might help the left one reconnect, so I did that. The right one was repaired and reconnected with no trouble but so far the left one is not showing as reconnected. P

If I understand correctly I need to be within 10 meters of the misplaced unit to pair/reconnect it to Bluetooth.

Fortunately, before I told my phone to forget the devices, I took note of where the phone displayed showing the last location of the left unit before it disconnected somehow. I tried to repair/reconnect with Bluetooth within that distance range, alas, to no avail.

I’m not sure how long I need to wait for the unit to connect within that m distance range, and I can t think of what else could be causing it not to show as connected since my right unit is again reconnected and visible in the Find devices app.

Any insights or suggestion that could help me beat the ticking clock to find the currently Bluetooth-unfindable left unit would be so greatly and sincerely appreciated.

I’ll be searching in the meantime, but I think it’s misplaced extra well since I’ve scoured the places nearly where last registered in the app before t becoming disconnected.

Try using an app such as this:

I’ve used Lightblue on Android and it’s helpful. I think there’s an IOS version also.

2 Likes

I’ve used the lightblue on ios. it is a game of “you’re getting warmer”/“you’re getting colder” with the signal strengths.

WH

2 Likes

Do you own a cat or dog?

1 Like

Such a great question. No pets in the home currently. Really appreciate you trying to help! :grinning:

Thank you for sharing that LightBlue worked for you and trying to assist. I did choose to “forget” the devices based on some internet advice elsewhere about iPhone software update connectivity issues when I noticed only the right hearing aid (which is not list) was showing up on Oticon’s Find My Hearing Aids app location screen. Do you happen to know if I can find them with LightBlue (other another app) when the lost hearing aid is “forgotten” and unpaired? Seems unlikely but I don’t know a lick about technology. Thanks again!

Forgetting means that the connection to your phone is gone until you reset it. Also, since you cannot force the hearing aid into pairing mode, a scan for Bluetooth devices near your phone will not ‘see’ it. What I do, old school, is get a strong focused flashlight and use that to search for the hearing aid. The spot of light focuses your mind on actually seeing what is there and that is significant. Extra light might help but that is not the essence of the technique. And it does not matter that the hearing battery is exhausted obviously.

1 Like

Lightblue and similar work by reading the local environment for any device that is using the BLE radio right now. It will pick up devices that you’ve never paired to as well as those you have previously paired to that are still switched on. The ones you previously paired to will have a better chance of showing up a name that you may recognise…

As previously said, it becomes a game of finding the device signal strength getting stronger as you get closer to a particular device.

2 Likes

Opps. Looks like my bad. Sorry for that. I did not realize the hearing aid was broadcasting if not paired.

You should try it out. It was amazing to find that the air is full of signal from devices I didn’t even know were on the air. At one point at work I saw more than 50 devices around me.

WH

1 Like

I was amazed by the number of devices I had no idea were nearby too when I tried it out. Great app to know about.

1 Like

Thank you! Reading the various responses hear was a great learning experience in problem solving and thinking flexibly when our assumptions or methods lead to a dead end. I did intimately did it the old fashioned way by doing a thorough and methodical sweep of the area I deemed mostly likely and tried not to make any assumptions about where it could be. I love the pint about the flash light focusing your attention—such a great tip I’ll keep for next time. Really appreciate your help!

Thank again, Mr Simpson! That was so interesting to did out some apps have the capability of scanning/locating even devices that had never been paired which is a nice surprise! And turning it into a speaker and listening for the sound is such a fantastic idea I’d never have thought of. I wound up trying out several apps that I learned much from in playing around with, so now have a sense of what options I have at my disposal for the inevitable “next time.” I feel well prepared so won’t panic or lose sleep absinthe, especially after discovering the friendly and helpful responses from the community here. I’m so glad to have found you all—losing my hearing aids for half a day was well worth the prize. Thank you so very much for your generosity of time and care to help me.

3 Likes

So were you able to find the lost hearing aid after all? I know somebody asked if you have pets and you said you don’t. How about children? Kids sometimes hide things for fun as well. My wife has had her keys hidden by a three-year-old before. I also remember looking for my reading glasses for half a day only to realize that they were on my head the whole time. Sometimes you place things in obvious places then don’t realize that you had them there the whole time. I know there are techs to find things nowadays, and the focused flash light was also a great suggestion. But don’t forget to use old fashion techniques as well, like rethink/retrace, or think about the obvious places you might have placed it, etc.

Don’t think she thought I was serious