Battery Fire! Phonak Paradise Aid knackered!

Hi All, I have Phonak Paradise P90s with size 13 batteries from Specsavers UK

One aid started to play up and keep restarting! But I then noticed that I could feel heat where my hearing aid was! I took the hearing aid off and then discovered that the hearing aid battery was hot and leaking.

The battery has killed my hearing aid and left a burn mark inside the battery door! So it would seem that one of my aids has been destroyed by a faulty battery!

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

What brand of batteries?

Energy density can be a problem for some cells.

2 Likes

Perhaps these batteries have a non-standard shape and are short-circuited with side contacts?

1 Like

My nephew had a crane toy, it has 4 AA batteries, one of the batteries started getting really hot. I noticed this when I was holding the remote control, I quickly took it out because it could be dangerous, something could catch fire. And the battery was Duracel.

I’ve never experienced that in a hearing aid.

It is written on the Internet that the cause may be

dirty contacts that lead to a short circuit and the battery can overheat.

It may be a damaged battery that has short circuited internally and eventually overheated.

It also says online that the battery can overheat if exposed to high temperatures, perhaps if held next to a heater or similar devices.

It is not excluded that it is a factory error, they usually withdraw such batteries from sale if they discover that it is

1 Like

There was a short circuit somewhere. But zinc-air batteries don’t catch fire through thermal runaway like lithium ion batteries do.

1 Like

WOW! You have my empathy. That is truly bizarre. DO TELL us the brand of the batteries tho, cuz I’ll never buy them if I have a choice. I still keep my years-old Phonak Marvel aids that take size 13 batteries.

Does anyone here know if an insurance company would cover the damage for the self-igniting battery in a hearing aid? Assuming the aids were on the policy? Or is that considered “an act of GOD”?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of this with Zinc Air batteries!

3 Likes

How do you know that? Could be a short circuit in the HA which caused high current consumption for the battery. This in turn leads to increased heating of the battery

1 Like

Maybe, but either way, the battery has caused some kind of reaction! I can’t believe my luck.

The battery was a size 13 Zinc-Air battery from spec savers.

1 Like

The battery was a standard size 13 Zinc air battery that was supplied by the place I got the hearing aids from. The size and type of battery was correct but it would seem that I was very unlucky.

I think you may be right I can’t explain it! The battery must have leaked and caused something to short out. Either way, the aid is dead.

The batteries I use are from Specsavers, size 13. I have taken the aid back but now I have to wait and see what they’ll do about it. But as they supplied the aids and the batteries I’m sure it will be covered by warranty. I have to wait a week for them to do tests and then I’ll know.

Nor me, it’s a nightmare lol. I had a problem with the rocker on the other aid too so that was sent back at the same time but now I have no aids at all. I’m also waiting for a new pair from the NHS but they’ll be ages yet so I’m a little stuck for sound lol

Yes I agree, you may be correct.

Yeah, that’s a White-label, it normally says somewhere who actually manufactures it.

1 Like

I did look for the manufacturer on the pack but it only says Specsavers! I don’t think it matters though. The chances of having a battery go bad and destroying a hearing aid are SO slim it’s just a freak event. I hope it doesn’t turn into an expensive one lol

OK, so this sounds like a branded battery that Specsavers sells with the aids. Not Duracell, Ray-o-Vac, et al?

Um. Does the battery pack say WHERE they come from? I’m real picky these days about the country of manufacture. Too many companies shave money having products made cheaply. Not like they pass the cost savings on to us! Take Le Creuset for example. Not made at a factory in France anymore.

Hi,
are you absolutely sure, that they really gave you zinc-air batteries?
There are a lot of cells with exactly the same size, but a different voltage.
There is not only the (orange) A13=P13=PR48=PR754 with 1,35V (ZincAir)
(you have to remove a seal to uncover some pinprick-sized holes);
there’s also a LR48=LR754=AG5 with 1,5V (alkaline) that may work but stress the electronic and will be soon empty
and a SR48=SR754=SG5 with 1,55V (silveroxide) where the HD-type can supply enough current to burn sensitive electronics.
and there is :imp: :skull_and_crossbones:a LIR854 with 3,6V, that can ruin everything.

3 Likes

They’ll be from one of the big firms. That’s why I was going for the country of origin, you’d usually be able to work out the manufacturing company from that.

It’s a packaging requirement of anything sold in the U.K. to state this.

2 Likes