Batteries when not in use

I have two sets of hearing aids. One set is best for everyday use but the other set has Bluetooth connection with TV and are wonderful fur music. These two sets have different size batteries.

So my question is on the Bluetooth ones I just use once in a while. Can I remove the batteries and put the little tab back on to preserve the battery life? I have always believed if they are just sitting in aids they will lose life shortly, same as being used.

So could some of the technical battery experts here enlighten me?

Bob,
I do this all the time but I use Scotch Tape to cover the holes and the batteries have been good weeks later. HA batteries need air to work and if you take away the air they stop working.

I just put the tabs back on. Seems to work fine. Scotch tape would also work. However, I wonder if the adhesive on the Scotch tape would tend to plug up the small air vents on the batteries? Vic

I’ve never had a problem with the Scotch Tape plugging the holes. I take a piece of tape long enough to hold two batteries and place the two batteries on the tape and make sure they are seated well on the tape and the batteries are good until the next time I need them.

Fantastic post Seb, I will try it:D Thanks

I don’t understand the need to “tape” the batteries. If the contacts are not against any conductive material there should be no loss of charge.

What am I missing?

sho,
Once you pull the tabs on the batteries the “clock is ticking,” the batteries will discharge whether they are in the HA or not because once exposed to air they start working and once you open the battery doors the HA stops working but the batteries don’t. By taping the holes you stop the process and effectively get more life out of the batteries.

Does that mean if when we take them out each night, if we tape them over they will last 8 hours/day longer? Hmmm…

I get 3-4 extra days out of #13’s when I tape them. If I don’t tape the batteries I get 14 days and if I tape them I get about 17 to 18 days.

Zinc-air batteries are actually zinc fuel cells. Once they get oxygen they consume the zinc until it is gone. Cutting off their oxygen supply should slow or stop the consumption of zinc. They don’t hold a charge like conventional batteries.

I started to tape them using the original tab a few weeks ago, normally I get 85 hrs of use without tape and now I get close to 120 hrs, a 40% increase. I Bluetooth a lot during the day, this 40% increase is great, at the end of the year it make quite a difference dollar wise. All this take about 10 seconds more per day to do when I remove my aids. Well worth the effort.

Well it is a great idea and it also prevents the leaking which is another serious concern with these aids.

I just got 11 days out of my 312’s taping them each night. I would get about 7 days if I didn’t tape over the holes each night.

It also helps to rotate the batterys back and forth between left and right each day. I mark the tape with a red marker and stick the left battery on that side of the tape each night. In the morning I put the battery on the red side of the tape into the right side hearing aid. This evens out the usage between your good ear and a bad ear.

Is there an advantage to keeping the new unused batteries in the refrigerator?

I’ve worn a hearing aid for over 40 years. The last time I had a battery leak was in the early 70’s during the waning days of silver oxide batteries (dang, them things got EXPENSIVE). I have not once had a battery leak otherwise, and I wear 7 days a week, 18 hours a day.

I’ve tried refrigerating my batteries, didn’t seem to make any difference. Never tried to tape them, research I’ve read said that the batteries, once exposed to oxygen, will continue to degrade, tape or no tape. Interesting to see information up here otherwise.

No. Here is what Wikipedia says: “Storage and operating life[edit source | editbeta]Zinc-air cells have long shelf life if sealed to keep air out; even miniature button cells can be stored for up to 3 years at room temperature with little capacity loss if their seal is not removed. Industrial cells stored in a dry state have an indefinite storage life.”

This is wonderful, I never did this…I’ll surely give it a try. Thanks seb.

seb, thanks for this helpful post!

I am taping mine a few weeks ago, thanks to seb´s recommendation and it have seen to improve.