Batteries dying very quickly!

Hi Everyone!

i have a pair of new linx2 (size 312 battery) that have been working well since the last software update but for the last little while my batteries keep dying very quickly (sometimes within a few hours!). I thought it was just a bad pack of batteries (shoppers brand) but I bought new batteries and it’s happening again!! In particular things seem to be fine unless I do any streaming. When I do it cuts out with the “battery to low to stream” alarm. After a few reconnection attempts made by me the battery goes totally dead. I have an appointment with my Audi coming up but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be? I’m guessing it’s unlikely to be a hardware issue since it’s happening to both AIDS the same time? I control my aids via the iPhone app and I am running the new iOS beta version. Could that be it? Help!! :grinning:

I’ve experienced the same issue with Costco KS6 aids, which are rebranded ReSound Linx 9 (previous generation). I’ve found that ZeniPower batteries from eBay and Amazon, or PowerOne from the same places work best. Worst are Rayovac, which are also Costco branded batteries, and Duracell.

I’ve had them all die within an hour from opening when streaming. Hit or miss, but if I was planning to do a lot of streaming, I made sure the batteries were ZeniPower or PowerOne.

Wow. I’ve never tried ZeniPower or PowerOne. But I can’t relate to this at all. Ray-o-vac has been my favorite battery for 15 years. Premature failures are virtually non-existent for me. In my old Oticons a 213 Ray-o-vac was good for 8 days, but I didn’t stream. I stream frequently with my Trax 42 and Costo batteries and i get about 6 days.

It may be an issue unique to ReSound. I can stream with my Phonak aids and the ComPilot, and never have an issue. The power draw with Linx is likely higher since there’s no intervening device like a ComPilot.

Thanks everyone! Sorry to hear that you’ve had a similar issue jay_man2! It’s odd for me though as I haven’t had this issue until recently and I was doing a ton of streaming. I’ve also noticed that when the battery is dying the aid makes a hissing sound and then cuts out!

I’ll try some new battery brands and will see if it helps. Thanks!

There was an article that said that the 312 had marginal power for streaming. It’s possible something in the components causes some extra drain in your instance. I find that the Costco aids last 3-4 days while I can get a week with my Duracell batteries. Another mentioned Ray-o-vac. You might try a different brand to see if it gets better. I like the Duracell for the plastic case I can carry in my pocket along with the longer tabs that are a help for my arthritic hands.

I’ve had the same thing happen with PowerOne and Costco batteries. It seems bad batteries run in batches so it could be that all batteries in your local store are from the same batch. I would try a couple of different brands to test whether it is the aids or the batteries.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that batteries that are several months old but well within the expiration date seem weak. I bought a year’s worth one time and near the end they didn’t last long, and they had almost a year left on the expiration. Maybe the seals start to get weak and let air in.

New batteries should have nearly four years on the expiry date. Shorter dated stock is likely to be sold off cheaply. My current stock has a June 2019 date.

Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone! I bought Duracell batteries and the issue didn’t repeat itself! It was just so odd that the same thing happened with 2 different brands but I guess that I just got a bad batch from both?

Same problem with Linx 2 with latest updates. Audiologist replaced HA from Resound and no more problems. Uses size 13 batteries. Now lasts a week.

— Updated —

Same problem with Linx 2 with latest updates. Audiologist replaced HA from Resound and no more problems. Uses size 13 batteries. Now lasts a week.

I am having the same issue a friend of mine is also having the same issue. My aid is at the audiologist now being checked out. Whats strange is that only one of my aids and one of my friends aids are having the problem. Not both aids.

Both I and a friend picked up our aids Linx2 on the same day. A week later both of us have had one aid that seems to require battery change outs much more then the other aid. I used Four batteries in the right aid to just one in the left aid. Sometimes the battery may last a couple of days and some times only hours. Both our aids are now at the audiologist being checked out. I called to Resound. They say they are not aware of this issue. Sounds to me like someone is hiding something.

I had a Duracell battery die after a day in my left aid, after getting 6 plus days out of ZeniPower batteries in my Phonak aids. I think it’s battery issues, particularly if you do a lot of streaming. It seems the power output for streaming is higher than for regular everyday hearing aid use.

This Duracell battery did come out of a pack where in some cases they were dying within two hours while streaming with my KS6 aids, which are rebranded ReSound Linx aids.

I do not know much about streaming, what is it?

Would you think it uses more power than just regular aid use?

Is this like driving your car at 100mph and then wondering why it runs out of gas so quick?

:slight_smile:

Hi Meg,

I know this is an old conversation but i’d like to use your question to provide help to anybody searching for answers today!

The increase in features of modern hearing aids demands a higher power from their batteries. You can get the most of your hearing aid batteries by following some simple steps to ensure you are using your hearing aid batteries to their optimum efficiency!

Rayovac have a great article on how to make the most of your hearing aid batteries: Factors affecting hearing aid battery life | Rayovac Hearing Aid Batteries