Bass Domes

We used to use a little ear punch for genotyping or identifying our knock-out mice that would probably work really well.

http://www.braintreesci.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EP-T

Mago I looked those up - they look like they would be really comfortable. I would consider trying those if I had a clue they would fit my Resound Forteā€™s.

Um bongo Do you know if Starkey domes would also fit Resound aids?

Neville: As I was reading the thread I had been trying to remember something like that and you brought it all crystal clear. So I also found this.

1 Like

No idea. I havenā€™t bought a Starkey dome in years tbh.

I was told the Starkey ā€˜closedā€™ comfort domes are fairly new. Prior to these, I was ordering and using domes from GN Resound for the P100 receivers on the Oticon Alta2 Pro and now the OPN1 (will not fit Epoch). I wear 9mm Product # 53271-004 and 7mm Product # 53271-003. These domes eliminated all feedback comfortably. Keeping them very clean, also stopped the itching & irritation. Hopefully this info will help determine if they will fit other brands.
I would love to see a detailed data base of which domes fit which
aids / receivers and any helpful details.

Thanks Mago-

I decided I would take a chance and ordered some of these.

I will report back to the forum if they fit ( or not), and if they do fit, how well they work for me.

Take care with all this dome switching. I excavated a dome from a patientā€™s ear the other day that had probably been in there for 1-2 years. It was not a dome that matched his hearing aid, and not one given to him by us.

You make a very good point. All my trial domes have been given to me by my Audi and I order from him. I actually had a Oticon dome come off in my ear when I removed the Alta Pro aid. It was scary!
I canā€™t imagine not knowing for that long something was inside your ear.
Adams, I hope the Comfort dome works for you. My dome fits snug on my receiver and keeps itā€™s shape.

Yikes!!! No practitioner in that span of time never bothered to look?!

The patient did not see a practitioner in that span of time. Which probably describes all the self fitters on here. :wink:

TouchĆ© :slight_smile: ā€¦

I had Bass domes with my OPN, but they ended up giving sound in the side instead of in the chanel. Now I have molds, and after getting used Iā€™m fine. They are less irritating. Itā€™s correct that another phone then my own iphone doesnā€™t work this way, since the mic is behind you ear, and doesnā€™t catch the phone speaker, and the direct sound is blocked to much. With the Widex I had as test, it worked with a phone better. But the made for Iphone does itā€™s work.

When my receiver broke from the wire it was about 10 seconds after I removed it from my ear - even with the best of practices one can end up with these things stuck in an ear. The question is how did the patient not notice and do something about the missing dome. Perhaps more care with removal and checking if all is intact is in order.

Oh certainly. A dome in the ear is not uncommon.

Unfortunately, a few domes in the ear is not outside of my experience, nor is a dome in the ear for multiple months and beyond.

A primary phsyician not recognizing a dome in the ear is also not uncommon.

Here they would probably notice the dome and fish it out but they suck at wax removal. No one wants to own that one.

Iā€™ve heard audiologists arenā€™t actually allowed to do wax removal in Australia? That you have to see a specialized nurse? And that irrigation is not allowed.

Iā€™ve also heard that if you go into emergency in The States for a dome in the ear, they fish it out and charge you $600 for ā€œsurgeryā€. O.o

I use earplugs when I want that effect, which I often do when streaming TV but no other time. Works very well.

My GP told me that for wax removal she insists on 4 days of wax removal drops followed by syringing by her nurse. She said to cease wearing the aids for the 4 days. She has no idea of the impact of that and how unrealistic it is. Oh and it takes 2 months to get a non urgent appointment. The GPs are nervous about syringing. One GP in my city apparently does do suction under a microscope but they are the exception. ENT surgeons are mostly not interested except for one ENT in my city who, according to his website, has an open clinic for the suction of wax under microscope. He is an ENT with special interest in hearing loss and does cochlear implants.

The audiologists do not routinely offer wax removal but at least one chain say on their website that they do this manually. I guess it depends on their training. I did see one of their conferences offered training at one point. Everyone is nervous about perforating an ear drum and no one really wants to own the problem.

Our public hospital emergency departments are free(included in our Medicare levies) but something so ā€œminorā€ as a stuck dome would result in a very long wait - maybe many hours. Our private Emergency centers would charge at least $350-400 just to set foot in the door. None of that is claimable on insurance or our Medicare unless you are admitted to hospital.

Itā€™s not totally unreasonable that they are nervous about syringing. Iā€™ve seen some pretty serious perforations from one of those big metal syringes used improperly by GPs with limited wax removal experience. One of my patients was irritated that his GP refused to syringe his ear the other day and insisted he see the nurse, but frankly the doctor was making the right call if it was not something he had done much of. But there are other options for irrigation that arenā€™t as aggressive as the big silver syringe.

The trouble is when the ENTs wonā€™t deal with it and the GPs donā€™t want to deal with it and the audiologists arenā€™t then that leaves a lot of people with blocked ears for a long time.