Basic hearing aids for my dad

My 75 year old dad has had the mdhearingaid for 7 months. The volume can go up to 4, but when I called customer service to ask about the screeching/feedback when the volume is set at 2, they said it should always be set to less than 2. my dad is turning it to 2 bc he says he wants to hear better and im concerned it may be causing additional damage to his hearing. prior to getting these aids, the audiological results are listed below. we just visited an audi who said that he’s at about a flat loss with about 45% hearing in both ears.

He’s beginning to show signs of dimensia with his reasoning and judgement occassionally off. when i’ve asked if he thinks he needs better aids he keeps going back and forth yes/no. He’s left the decision to me and let me know he’s only willing to spend less than 2K. I went to an audi based on a promo flyer for the AMP- although the audi said it would help, i researched it online and thought this would not be a good option since dad needs them in at all times. True? another audi in the office said the ignite 20 may be a good economical option. I was hoping for a few more unbias opinions on this site. what ha would you recommend? is there much of a difference between ignite 20 and mdhearing aid air? i also noticed warranty for ignite 20 was 1 year at audi, but 3 years on starkey website. can anyone explain why warranties vary? also, debating between cic, ite, bte. other than vanity, is there other pros/cons to make this choice? thanks for any help!!!

Freq L R
0250 55 45
0500 55 40
1000 55 50
1500 55 55
2000 55 55
3000 55 85
4000 60 55
6000 75 80
8000 80 80

ST L/R = 60/45 , WRS L/R = 20/40%

Hi Mikes,

You’re right, the AMP would not be a good choice for him. Giving his health conditions, I think the best choice is something that he can easily adjust himself, something that is very durable, and something that will be strong enough for him in the future if his loss progresses. It sounds like your dispenser recommends Starkey, so I’d go with the 3 Series i20 BTE with a 13 battery. This aid has a rocker switch on the back which will be easier for him control than the touch-sensitive controls of the Ignite line. Technology wise and price wise they are almost the same, and yes they are much better than MDhearingaids. You should be able to get that set for around $3k depending on where you live. The Ignite 20 does come with a 1 year warranty, I don’t know where or why the Starkey website says otherwise- it’s not 3 years.