Background noise when streaming radio by using bluetooth with hearing aids

I’ve recently been fitted with hearing aids (Phonak Bolero M) by an audiologist at my local hospital in the UK. I want to use the Bluetooth facility by pairing it with my phone (Samsung A34), mainly to listen to radio stations. I have successfully paired the hearing aids, but when I try to listen to speech (e.g. Radio 4, Radio 5) there is an annoying background noise that seems to be almost in time with the words. There’s no problem when I’m streaming music. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

So is this with FM radio or streaming radio stations, is it just those stations or any/all others?

If the Phonak app works with Bolero (mine are Audeo, so I don’t know); have you tried the app’s built-in adjustment for this? ( in my “Bluetooth streaming +mic” tab, click "ambient balance " button, slide Ambient Balance slider to far right) For me, this removes streaming hiss almost completely. HTH.

1 Like

My Phonak app does work with Biolero. I’ve taken a look at it, but I can’t see an ‘ambient balance’ button. I’ll look at the various other settings and see if they halp.

I’m streaming radio stations on my phone, with my phone paired with the hearing aids. The background noise is a bit like the sound associated with morse code. I’d also downloaded some (speech) podcasts from the BBC, and the same thing happens with those too.

I’ve discovered the ‘ambient balance’ setting on the Phonak app. I’ll try adjusting it and see if this works.

Yeah unusual, like t coil interference? don’t know what would cause this, hopefully you’ll find a solution.

When listening over Bluetooth you can also use the buttons on your HAs to set the balance with ambient sounds. I use the “Simple Radio” app on my Zenfone 8 without problems (with Phonak Audéos), hope you can sort this out.