Background noise vs listening accessories

I already know which Roger equipment I will use and how I will use it. I teach in 3 classrooms this semester. It could be the same classrooms or different ones next semester, so I use equipment that is easy for me to bring with me and doesn’t require setup in the room.

The telecoil is not for the classroom. it is for loop systems installed in various venues where I attend performances or other events.

I’m going to make a bold statement: If any particular manufacturer’s speech processing was significantly better than everyone else’s, we’d know about it.

I was looking for reasons to try another manufacturer and having to adapt my hearing aids to Roger or just buying Phonak lumity L90 and having them properly programmed.

I would stay with Widex, but they seem to be falling behind at the moment and won’t have a next generation platform until after I’ve already purchased my new hearing aids.

That’s what I think, but I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable to know for sure.

1 Like

@BorisBleu No worries.
Some in here like Widex because of their music processing, some like Oticon because of their spatial sound and Opensound paradigm…
I do like fish and chips, but Rayman doesn’t, so it is relative.
How easy for you to try different brands, so you can make up your mind?
Costco have Philips, not sure if they have Jabra, which are affordable.

I have an ent and audiologist I trust.

They have all the major brands.

I was specifically asking about speech in quiet and noisy environments. I really don’t care if they sound more natural or more open. I want to understand speech in a wide variety of settings.

I think my hearing loss is not odd or unusual, so any of the major brands would work for me.

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that no one has hearing aids that put other brands to shame, so I see no reason to not buy the Phonak.

No one here has given me a reason to try any other particular brand.

I understand that there’s some personal taste involved, but I’m looking at assistive devices - which I definitely need and the ability to pair my hearing aids with the bluetooth on my laptop for conducting online classes.

If I’m wrong about my assessment, I’d like to know about it.

I wasn’t able to make my Phonak P-90s directly use Zoom or Google Meet for headset use. I can listen to music, videos, youtube all day. But the equivalent of a call gets disconnected. I use a TV Connector now. They are a little more than a $100 on ebay. I use a behringer U-control dongle to provide a TOSLINK port and use the TOSLINK with the TV connector. This way the connector doesn’t disconnect during periods of silence as it would with the analog input.

Best wishes.

WH

2 Likes

Which table mic with which hearing aids?

Until the new Bluetooth LE Audio becomes mainstream, you cannot use Bluetooth or “Roger signal” with a looped venue or to interface with FM or Infrared receivers. For now, you need both BT and t-coil.

Personally I think Oticon is at least as good as Phonak and costs less, but you need to get microphones in front of your students and Phonak allows you to network mics.

You’re not wrong.

2 Likes

I made two attempts earlier to post a video link about the Starkey Table Mic. Hopefully successful this time.

1 Like

Go with Phonak for everything and consider getting Type 2 receivers. That opens up the entire system without compatibility issues. Thinking ahead not just right now. Contact Phonak educational support.

They also offer the EasyGain option within the receivers which I really benefit from normally.

That looks identical to the Phonak Connect mic.

Hi, Boris,

I’m a recently retired middle school teacher. In my last year of teaching, my hearing loss became much worse. I requested help from my employer and they recommended the Roger On. They wanted me to have the students pass it around. I researched a lot of options; I think that looping the room would have been the best one, but the district wouldn’t pay for it.

The Roger On was insufficient for my needs. However, since you are in a college level teaching situation, perhaps it would work for you. Kids in middle school interact with one another a lot more, and I needed to hear them all.

Personally, though, I don’t think that even the Roger On is much help. I think that there needs to be improvement in the technology and overall support for people with hearing loss to do their jobs, in general. And, as you may have noticed, I chose to retire rather than to struggle any longer in a bad situation.

(I got Phonak aids when I got the Roger).

4 Likes

In what type of situation do you use it?

Hello @birdcountry99, it is very sad you may have to retire, due to lack of support from your school or school board! There are many different Roger systems out there, that would greatly enhance a classroom experience, I am thinking along the lines of the Roger Touch Screen, where singular or multiple remote mikes could be used, controlled by you, via the Roger Touch Screen…The likes of, Roger Pass Around the Mic, it is fairly versatile, or Roger Inspiro’s (Older Tech) I picked up 3 of these 2nd hand, and working perfectly for £40 each, in the UK they are still on sale new for approximately £1350 each, the Roger Pass Around cost me £10, from eBay, they normally cost around £400 new… Touch Screen was acquired also from eBay at £350, again in the UK they would cost you new at around £900, you would also need 2 x Roger X (type 2) educational receivers! I think it’s a sad indictment of the apathy towards hearing impaired workers, and generally most governmental departments the world over, talk the talk, but they do not, walk the walk! If it’s going to cost them money, you are on your own! I am sure you are very valued by your young middle school kids, and fellow teacher’s alike, in my book, there is no substitute for experience… Especially in teaching! I am not suggesting you buy your own Roger equipment, but it is an option you could possibly pursue if you have the wherewithal, and eBay is your friend if finances are limited? Perhaps the school has a “parent association”, and if they were aware you might be retiring, just because, you need “fit for purpose” ALD’s, they might be willing to do some fundraising, you will never know, unless folks are aware of your predicament! Anyway, good luck, and hopefully you will not be forced to retire, where there is a will, there is usually a way… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, Kev,

Thanks so much for your kind suggestions! I have already retired as of June, but I agree that it was sad to leave the kids!

I was about to retire because I was 65 last year, so it made sense.

In appreciation,

Katy

6 Likes

Apologies @birdcountry99, tis the dyslexic in me, I missed that bit that you had already retired, that’s unfortunate for the kids! But enjoy your retirement, you have earned it! I retired myself last Monday at 66, in many ways it is a blessing… You take care Katy, cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed post and your audiogram.
Looking at your audiogram and word understanding I suspect you have not been fit well with previous or current aids.
Have you had testing and updates with your current aids?

2 Likes

Wow; congratulations on your retirement as well!

2 Likes

I am curious. How would looping the room have helped? You’d still need mics and a system to send the audio to the loop.

WH

1 Like