Back-Up Device?

Excellent! So good for you! :+1::+1:

Not aids but the TV Connector. It was intermittent from new and Phonak UK insisted on the u/s box being returned before they sent out the new one. Worse I had to send it to the original supplier and Phonak sent the new connector to my Audiologist - 4 chances of it getting lost and I was without for 3 weeks. U/S as it was I missed it.
I will keep my cheap NHS Siemens up to date as backups.

I sent my Roger receiver into Phonak a couple of weeks ago. I gave it to my audiologist, he sent it to Phonak and then Phonak sent it to my home address, it didnā€™t go back via my audiologist.

I understand your frustration tho on whether it can get lost. My anxiety was sky high waiting for it to come back.

My aids were provided through Veteransā€™ Hearing (UK) and I had to send the box to them. While tracking showed it arrived on a Thursday it didnā€™t arrive on the desk until the Monday. A simple box exchange should have been quick but i guess they might have tried to prove the fault first. Once chased they returned it but for some reason it went to the Audiologist.

My anxiety was less as we were talking only Ā£150 or so but my temporary loss more than made up for that. Surprising how soon you miss something that you have only just got.

Most audiology clinics offer patients loaners while personal devices are out for repair, even if they need TWO, so definitely ask your audiologist! I never let a patient go without loaners. Hearing is too essential!

2 Likes

I had an AUD that did the same. Was a life saver!! Such a vital service to offer!:pray::pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Many do NOT offer loaners. Yes, clients should ask, but they should also be aware of the need to prepare themselves in case the answer is ā€œnoā€! Especially for new users of hearing aids this is an important subject. Providers donā€™t want to broadcast the fact that HAs might fail and need repair, but itā€™s reality. Many users wear aids for 20+ years. Itā€™s not a short-term affair.

20+ years may be a little extreme. The oldest I saw while still in practice was 17 yrs but they were still working. The patientā€™s hearing had changed as well as technology so it was time for replacement. But the old analog full shell Electone hearing aids sounded pretty good considering the age.

I didnā€™t mean the SAME set of HAs, I meant the person may require wearing hearing aids (from whatever source and however often replaced). That could easily be a period during which they would have to cope with replacements or back-up devices.

1 Like

I am now doing self programming with good results after giving up on my Audi that I bought the aids from. My Audi couldnā€™t get the Aids working correctly or work with doing my own programming. These are my 1st Aids so I have no backups and canā€™t find an Audio that will work with me self programming. I have Resound Verso about 5 years old. Resound has a policy to only do repairs through a dealer. I need to get newer Resound aids so I can use these older aids as backups.
Who will sell me resound aids including warranty with me doing self programming and send them back if factory repair is needed? If my aids now break I canā€™t get any Audi to send it in for factory repair. Do most self programmers have an Audi to work with or online dealer?

Some eBay sellers claim their aids are warranted.
Taking care of your aids and using a quality dryer is the best insurance in my opinion. Reliability is important too. Some aids just seem to have a better history concerning repairs. Do your homework before buying your next set of aids not that what have are not good. BTE aids tend to be more robust but RIC aids do pretty good if they fit your loss.

Getting back up aids shouldnā€™t be a problem for you.

My Audi is ok with me doing my own programming. Perhaps if you search around a little more you can find one still. I live in an area with a large tech company and I think my Audi is used to ā€œus techiesā€ doing our own thing. I just let him know the changes Iā€™ve made and let him overwrite my programming when I see him.

Once or twice I have got into the shower with my aids on. Worst was when I dived into a swimming pool. Only when I realised I could hear did I realise. The battery compartment appears a little rusty but even diving into the swimming pool did no harm. They werenā€™t IP66.

Whenever I needed repair work and itā€™s been a long time since I have, my audiologist has provided me with temporary aids. Without that I would be deaf. Now that Iā€™m retired I could probably get by with just one aid

Your idea is very good.
Is your hearing aids rechargeable? I wonder how I can change the battery of my rechargeable hearing aids or fix them if they need after doing your idea.

My backup aids are rechargeable, I donā€™t have to worry about the batteries dying, because can get them replaced by the VA even though they are my backups because I am classified as not being able to fully function without aids. I keep a schedule that I follow to insure that I keep the batteries exercised. My Audiologist gave me the instructions to follow. I also seem to be on a short schedule for hearing aid replacement, as I have been told I am in line for aids as soon as Oticon releases the next update to their line.

2 Likes