Auracast: Can I Get a Connection?

5 Likes

Informative video. Funny, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time, but I don’t think I’ll be eager to get it.
My KS9, TV connector and Partner Mic let me do everything I need to. When it all gets sorted out it will be very nice to have a universal system.

1 Like

Excellent info! Andrew is putting a lot of legwork into helping the rest of us keep up with this emerging and very exciting tech.

2 Likes

Andrew is my favourite presenter. @mdb If I were in your situation, I wouldn’t be in a hurry either. Don’t fix what’s not broken. I don’t think everything will ‘just work’ in the LE Audio world for a while.

6 Likes

I liked the real-time speech-to-text at the top of the presenter’s screen. It was very accurate (but then he has a very clear speaking voice). @AbramBaileyAuD , do you know what app or software he used to do that?

1 Like

Your next hearing device may very well support it. Then you could integrate other consumer devices like TVs as you go, still using compatible TV connectors & remote mics as you need. As LE Audio gets rolling there will also be 3rd party providers of these.

1 Like

Glad you found it useful!

2 Likes

@Andy_Bellavia Much appreciated for all your hard work in helping the hard of hearing community.
Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I can tell by watching that it was done by a professional steno captioner. I didn’t see one in the audience, but it can be done remotely. I was in that profession, taught the software for a decade prior to retiring.

1 Like

Your kind words are much appreciated!

See also my reply to @MDB

That was arranged by ADA for every presenter. It worked really well, and the audio quality in the rooms was excellent too.

1 Like

You are welcome, it is my pleasure!

1 Like

I’ll have to ask Stephanie at ADA how it was done. I also wondered if it was a live captioner because it was so good. There would have been five of them that afternoon to cover all the concurrent sessions.

Thank you @Andy_Bellavia for your very interesting video :grin: And @AbramBaileyAuD for promoting it… Subtitles helped immensely, for clarification, although audio was pretty crystal clear, via Bluetooth.Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

I probably wouldn’t have said them if I’d known you’d be listening. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

This is very cool! I am trialing a ReSound Omnia at thx moment and ReSound is already as was said in the presentation touting Auracast. When I first saw that Auracast would be available on ReSound aids, I thought it was some new sound tech to hear clearer with hearing aids. In a way it is.

I am also a recipient of Cochlear’s 622 implant arrays for their cochlear implants. On the Cochlear Nucleus Smart app, you can now control your newer ReSound HA’s with the exceptions of custom made programs and less the sound enhancer with one app instead of the two. However, you also have a set of Cochlear accessories that work with ReSound, but this tech will mean no more separate accessories for everything that these devices do. This might also mean that different brands of cochlear sound processors will play nice and be compatible with different brands of HA’s. My ReSound is compatible with Cochlear brand sound processors, but personally I prefer the detail I hear with a Phonak HA. Someday through Auracast technology, my Cochlear sound processor will be compatible with a Phonak HA. A main difference presently is Phonak connects to traditional BT, Cochlear and ReSound are MiFi connected.

It will be nice for all not to carry so many different accessories and be able to connect directly to a particular TV in a bar or gym. Now I know what all this Auracast hype is. Thank you for the video. All the possibilities!

1 Like

The new Costco Jabra Enhance Pro 20 Micro should support it using the ReSound TV Streamer+ or a Jabra equivalent and I hope that streaming battery life will be extended with this new technology. An excellent discussion on this topic that seems to imply improved battery life can be found at Inside ReSound’s Nexia Hearing Aid Technology: A Closer Look with Laurel Christensen, PhD. I suspect that a firmware update may be needed but I’m not sure. I may buy the TV Streamer+ after I get my new Jabra Enhance Pro 20 hearing aids next Monday.

1 Like

No no NO! The Omnia will probably never get Auracast! Ask to trial the Resound Nexia. It replaces the Omnia in the Resound lineup and LE Audio / Auracast is onboard.

4 Likes

I’ll ask if they have the Nexia. The might have givem
Me the Omnia because at the time, I thought my insurance covered aids once every 4 years. Found out it’s 3 years. I also thought I’d have to wait until February, but I can switch HA’s now.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it! Kudos to my Rode wireless mics, they do a great job in audio quality.

1 Like