Auracast and purchase of hearing aids now

This is a wonderful assisted hearing device. @kevels55 @Volusiano @mdboy

Very interesting. But the connection is only possible with hearing aids equipped with BLE, right?
And currently no HA has BLE, right?

1 Like

It’s for buds as well and there are one or two models of le audio equipped buds available now. I don’t think Orsana is available now anyway. It seems to be a reference design that they’re looking for partners to develop.

1 Like

I don’t think so. There’s a transmitter/receiver product (Voce), there’s a Sennheiser assistive system for watching tv, and there’s one- maybe two- models of earbuds. That’s all that I know of. If I understand you correctly, you probably want your phone to be able to act as a LE Audio “sink”- something that a source could stream to. I think that would be very useful but I don’t know if it would ever happen.

1 Like

I agree. There’s already a topic on this.

1 Like

I attach an excerpt from Bluetooth SIG (special interest group)
frequently asked questions section. Auracast - FAQ | Bluetooth® Technology Website

Question “What version of Bluetooth® technology is required to implement Auracast™ broadcast audio?”

Answer “Technically, for any product to support Auracast™ broadcast audio it must support specific features that were introduced in version 5.2 of the Bluetooth Core Specification as well as the Public Broadcast Profile within the set of LE Audio specifications.”

I don’t know whether the specification that applies is hardware or can be achieved by a firmware upgrade. But I suspect that it is not something that can be achieved by a software upgrade.

Regards

1 Like

I have been off the board for several months now. I recently upgraded phones to a Pixel 7 pro. I did this because it has the hardware to support Auracast and LC3. I am hoping a new HA will come out soon which will support this new standard (BLE) and that there will be a new Hearing Aid that works with it as well. I hope there will be an upgrade to my pixel phone as well.

1 Like

I wonder if someone with experience in both can chime in to share their opinion about how well the Auracast works compared to the Phonak Roger Mic? Also maybe on the technical differences and compatibility differences between them? It seems like the Roger Mic is exclusively for the Phonak platform? While the Auracast can become more universal when more hearing aids support BLE or maybe LC3???

1 Like

Although Roger Mics works seamlessly with the latest Phonak aids, they can also be used with receivers that attach to the bottom of BTE aids. Receiver can also be used with Resound MultiMic and Oticon EduMic. Auracast offers the promise of universal compatibility but tough to compare to Roger as Auracast is currently essentially vaporware.
Edit: Roger Mics can also be used with any aid with a t-coil if an additional neck loop device is purchased.

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, you are right. There is no HA’s that can connect to the Auracast protocol. I thought MFI HA’s are able to connect directly to Auracast protocol. Hope fully it will be very soon.
Have a nice day.

Auracast is a Bluetooth spec. Roger is a device, so not directly comparable. What Auracast does do is enable devices like the Orsana.

AudioTelligence make claims about the performance of their advice compared to that of “existing assistive listening devices” (what else could it be except Roger?). Hunt around on YouTube if you’re interested. You’ll find demonstrations of its noise reduction.
If the demos are representative of real world performance, they’re pretty amazing.

(5 ways to help people hear better in noisy environments - AudioTelligence)

aiso™ for Hearing can improve the SRT by 16 dB, and at an SNR of minus -5 dB, a typical hearing aid would improve intelligibility by around 50%. One of the existing assistive listening devices would would improve it by around 80%, but aiso™ for Hearing can actually improve speech intelligibility by up to 98%. All of these figures are results from testing the devices not in a lab, but in a real world situation.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification and link references for me to peruse, @d_Wooluf ! I understand much better now! I saw the links for the AudioTelligence Orsana but couldn’t connect it to Auracast until now. Admittedly I was a little lazy and didn’t want to invest the time to learn the details beyond what’s on this thread yet, hence the dumb question.

1 Like

If Orsana gadget pick up the voice from the speaker around the table and transmit to the iPhone then the iPhone transmit sound to the HA’s. Is this possible at the moment?
BT 5.2 & above will be available for Vlog/video whereby the sound will be pick up by mic at the speaker and transfer to the Phone by a add-on receiver. If the iPhone record the sound then it might be able to transmit the sound to the HA’s. It is possible?

No. Apple doesn’t do Auracast, so there’s no way for Orsana to transmit anything to an Apple device. It looks like they are trying to enlist Apple as a partner, though. There’s a demonstration of what it would sound like (or what they think it might sound like- unsure which) if Apple Live Listen used their technology.

2 Likes

The LC3 codec may not be implemented in any hearing devices yet, but many companies are looking at it. The Pixel 7 pro has both the hardware and the o/s version that will support the new standard (with Auracast and LC3) and so I am hoping that they will soon support Auracast. There are also several companies that are offering Auracast dongles.

1 Like

I share the same hope, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. As far as I know, neither Google nor Samsung, which both have supposedly compatible hardware/software market LE Audio nor Auracast as a feature. Until major companies start marketing it, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

1 Like

Cochlear Nucleus 8 is the only device that is confirmed to get Auracast in a firmware update but i suspect resound is probably going to release a firmware update for omnia hearing aid as well with auracast feature due to technical similarity between the 2 BT platforms in the resound HA and Cochlear sound processor

1 Like

@d_Wooluf , there’s one piece here I’m not understanding. If a transmitter supports LE-Audio / LC3 and the phone supports LE-Audio / LC3, is possible that the phone receives the LE-Audio transmission (I think you called that functioning as an audio sink) which is then passed to normal LE-Audio to a hearing aid that supports BT 5.2 / LE audio like the Oticon More? Or are phone manufacturers only seeing their phones as sound “sources” (e.g. playing a podcast for a group of students) and never as audio sinks (targets) which themselves could be intermediaries.

Part of why I’m asking this is that there would seem to be a need for a phone involved in HA Auracasts in any case. Without a phone (or other intermediate device) there’s no way to choose an Auracast channel (e.g. American Airline flights versus Delta flight announcements, or listen to dialog of Batman versus Everything Everywhere in a movie theatre) or to do something like scan a QR code for a specific Auracast channel. If the phone can be an audio sink, I would think that makes the heavy lifting on the HA side easier (perhaps just enabling LC3).

2 Likes

I had a good reason to use my phone as a sink a few years ago with Bluetooth Classic. My searches indicated that it was technically possible with a few tweaks to the Bluetooth stack if you knew what you were doing (which I didn’t). I have no idea why phone companies didn’t want to expose that functionality. Support issues? Licensing issues? I hope they do this time around.

If the phone is the sink that opens up Auracast to wired headphones. Maybe mfi/ASHA too, but you might get bandwidth and latency issues.

Thinking about it, your phone is going to be an audio sink anyway. Audio from your hearing aid mics goes back to your phone. That’s no different from receiving an audio stream from a distant device.

2 Likes

VOCE makes dongle type devices which support Auracast. Available on Amazon.

1 Like