Auditory processing training

I seem to have Auditory Process Disorder as a result of my long covid (completely separate from the reason for my aid). Self-diagnosed as it seems completely out of my hospital’s wheelhouse in both testing and rehab…

The result of my BrainHQ exercises point to issues with auditory discrimination, auditory memory, auditory sequencing. With the discrimination part, I do not have too many issues with typical conversations as there’s context but lots of difficulty without context or a new or shift in topic. For example, I have lots of difficulty watching the beginning of non-subtitled tv and movies, listening to adult audiobooks, learning new things, understanding GPS (street names), etc; it sounds like a garbled mess or a foreign language.

Anyone happen to know of training for this?

There actually is training/treatment for various types of auditory processing disorder, lots of scams but some legitimate. However, proper diagnosis comes first. My advice is to see a neuropsychologist.

I can’t get another neuropsych; there’s a limit in how often one can be assessed and I had one in 2021. My assessment did not differentiate between visual and auditory issues; not sure if my neuropsych does not conduct testing for this or I had too many/severe issues at the time and there wasn’t a point.

All of my PT/OT/SLP I ask for without any testing/diagnosis but it seems this is a bit outside my SLP (and audiologist) knowledge.

Interesting.

So, you had this same hearing loss prior to covid but without auditory processing issues?
When you were self-diagnosing, were you streaming the audio into your good ear or into both ears at a comfortably loud volume? When you have difficulty with TV and audiobooks, are you streaming into your ears at a comfortably loud volume?

These links might help:
https://www.igaps.org/

My hearing loss in my audiogram is something I’ve likely had since birth. I started trialing one aid (left only, most basic kind without bluetooth) beginning of last year, but not because I had any additional hearing difficulty.

Ive never had difficulty with TV/movies/audiobooks/GPS, etc prior to covid; these things I listen to through TV/laptop/cell phone speakers with my aid; have also tried with over-ears headphones. I don’t have issues listening to easier things like Nancy Drew.

Am in long covid clinical trial using BrainHQ on iPad and I noticed some “strange” results which was confirmed when I asked them about my results. All the exercises I had difficulty fall under auditory processing; there is a giant difference between my visual vs auditory performances.

I realize it’s not for diagnosing and I may have more encompassing brain issues, but I see no harm try some exercises to see if it helps, whether or not I have an actual diagnosable disorder. I searched here and someone had mentioned Angel Sound; I have difficulty in modules on that too.

Interesting. How long has the long covid been now? I’ve heard that it can cause a lot of symptoms similar to post-concussion syndrome, but I guess we probably still don’t know a great deal about it. Have you been seeing improvements in some areas?

Do you have difficulty with live speech, or just recorded speech?

1 Like

Since Mar 2020. I experienced trauma/shock end of last year and overnight my vitals, bloodwork, etc returned back to pre-2020 :person_shrugging:. Now, along with massive deconditioning, I imagine I have a bit of “resulting damage” from all those years like how an organ gradually stop functioning and completely died last year. But, I can now slowly get better.

The results of the exercises was quite shocking to me; I do not feel I have auditory discrimination issues live and I would have sworn it was the program malfunctioning. It’s possible this is part of what causes me to be unable to respond to people sometimes though. I am very aware that I have memory and sequencing issues live, just didn’t realize it was auditory related.

Oh, interesting and strange. Sometimes it feels we know so much in this modern world and then suddenly we’re reminded of what we DON’T know.

What area are you in? It may be worth having a full auditory processing assessment with an audiologist who does that if you can find one nearby.

Evidence for the efficacy of auditory training is still a bit weak overall. For children with auditory processing issues I believe the most powerful emerging intervention is on-ear remote microphone technology (put a microphone on the speaker and pipe it right into the child’s ears with devices that essentially look like hearing aids). This is convenient, because it was something we were doing in classrooms anyway to provide support, but it turns out that in addition to increasing the signal-to-noise ratio and helping them out directly with their difficulty, it actually appears to have long-term therapeutic effects whereby after 1-2 years of semi-consistent daily classroom use there are lasting improvments in the auditory system when use is discontinued, as measured by EEG as well as behaviourally, and improvements seem to generalize well. This makes sense from a brain function perspective–neurons that fire together wire together, and by providing a consistent, clear speech signal the pathways in the brain dedicated to processing that signal become stronger/fire in better synchrony.

Auditory training for specific auditory skills is. . . a pathway that is still being pursued and something many clinicians are enthusiastic about with limited scientific evidence. I think that there is reasonable indication for benefit in certain circumstances right now. For example, in the case of amblyaudia where one ear is ‘weak’ in dichotic listening tasks, this seems to be affected relatively quickly with training to good benefit. On the other hand, there are a lot of other attempts at targetted auditory training where there is evidence that the individual gets better at the particular game (or whatever) that they are playing, but it doesn’t appear to generalize to other aspects of life. In some ways I also think that specific skills training might be a bit of a red herring: When we test for auditory processing disorder we select a handful of tests that assess a small subset of our auditory skills. It seems likely that if a couple of those are disordered there may well be other untested skills that are also disordered. Trying to boost each skill individually with artificial stimuli may not make practical sense compared to trying to just using the target complex auditory stimulus of speech.

So that is my perhaps-unasked-for rundown of the current state of auditory training, and keep in mind that my opinion is my own and there is actually no gold standard for diagnosing and treating auditory processing disorder yet, although at this point there is a general consensus that it is a real thing. Clinicians and scientists are still arguing and researching. It’s a new area where clinical practice is running a bit further ahead of scientific evidence than we might prefer. But I also have a heavy scientific research background and I can sometimes be more demanding and skeptical than other in my field. Clinical audiologists are eager to help the person in front of them.

Your case is a bit further complicated by the facts that: A) You already have a unilateral hearing loss, though mild, which is reason enough to consider your hearing a bit disordered and would be expected to result in speech-in-noise difficulty all by itself, and B) your current symptoms are acquired from a new disease rather than developmental in childhood, which is what a lot of the literature is focussing on right now, Plus, long covid and may well be associated with other cognitive impacts.

As an aside, this is anecdotal, but a fair number of my concussion patients (who often struggle with sound and noise sensitivity and auditory processing issues of their own) report that they have specific difficulty with recorded speech while live speech is okay. I have no idea why this is. There appears to be some way in which the post-concussion brain is more sensitive to the distortions associated with recorded audio. I’ve heard other clinicians mention it, but I don’t think it is something under investigation right now.

What does all of this mean for you? I think it is just a caution that it may not be worth pursuing anything that might present a financial burden to you. Nothing in current auditory training is risky or damaging, apart from using up your time and money. So as long as you feel that you are up for taking a chance you can likely try anything, but if someone quotes you $10k for lengthy training sessions I might hesitate, even if they are enthusiastic about it. (Or insert whatever amount of money becomes difficult for you rather than acceptible experiment for your disposable income.)

And then additionally, you can probably chase some of this on your own. You mentioned Nancy Drew audiobooks were fine. You can probably work on spending some time doing focussed listening at a comfortable but loud-ish volume, and up the difficulty over time. You can also be more aware of the ways in which distance and noise rapidly degrade a speech signal and that this might be impacting you, so organize your environment a bit to manage that.

Sorry again for the long post; it’s an area of interest for me.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Buffalo model for APD go back to the 1950s with later refinements? Are you saying those treatments do not help APD or that other forms of training are less proven?

Does recorded audio as it’s being reported to you include telephone or live but amplified? I wonder whether the distinction may be connected to digital audio versus live and unamplified.

The Buffalo model is clinically very popular. I wish there were better evidence for its efficacy.

Telephone yes, live but amplified I’m not sure. But yes, that’s what I speculate–it’s something in the digital processing.

I don’t believe formal testing would be helpful, especially since I have other cognitive and neurological issues. Like many of my other long covid tests, the results would probably be inconclusive or just plain wrong.

I have seen many apps, and my SLP was looking at one too, but they are all fairly pricey without knowing the efficacy. I feel though, getting an app that’s more targeted, versus just back and forth conversations (which is what my SLP is doing) is better as I don’t have issues with general conversations.

They used Buffalo model in this study The Hearing Journal The three training they conducted seems exactly what I need too
So I was hoping my SLP or audiologist would be familiar but nope…

1 Like

The author of that paper is the same audiologist providing training as was linked above by user490, if that interests you. It’s the same therapy, but she did it in person for that young doctor whereas the above website offers self directed virtual training, which will be cheaper.