Audiometric brainstem response ABR/BERA test understanding

hello folks here is my ABR test report and my old audiogram is in my bio in latest audiogram there is left high freqeuncy loss of 60-70 db in 4-8k rnage right is 40-50 in 6-8k range
what this variation means ? i am qualified for CI or can acomodate by hearing aid
currently wearing signia 7nx with streamline mic without mic i can not understand in noisy places
thanks in advance !

@AbramBaileyAuD @Um_bongo @Neville
can any one pls help with this ABR report understanding with my audiogram
if further reports needed ?

@parth_p

Different places / countries have different requirements for CIs.

Here in the UK, you’re hearing is way too good for a CI but I would check with your local CI centre.

Sorry, I have no experience of CI implementation criteria as NHS audiology deals with that.

Like has been noted above, you would be unlikely to be considered for a CI in the U.K. with a moderate/severe HF loss. CI are based on pretty invasive operations, the risk/reward from undertaking this sort of procedure is balanced against the the downside of long-term hearing aid wear. The choice might be different in the context of your age too.

Your CI candidacy would not be determined based on your ABR alone. I’m not altogether sure why they did it. I suppose they’ve ruled out auditory nerve spectrum disorder.

i have problem when even slight noise is present.
and people have to shout all time at me especially male though i can only understand handful words and guessing from lip reading
by microphone i can hear them
but audiogram is telling different story so ABR done what report i should do tympanometry is type A

i am just 30 and unemployed and academically behind in score as i can not hear well in classroom or recorded voice except with studio recordings…with no background noise

In my limited experience of your type of situation; I think you need a better diagnosis.

Unless you know specifically that it’s a (pre)Cochlea malfunction, a CI might not be the answer. If the discrimination issue is a retro-cochlea function, putting a CI in the system is unlikely to resolve the speech-in-noise issue; but will still give you all the surgical risk AND a huge rehabilitation issue to deal with alongside.
Also any naturally acquired stereo directional processing that you already have will be lost as the CI installation will introduce a temporal shift to the sound on one side.

I’d argue there’s a lot of methods to try first - even hearing aids with a near field partner mic would seem a better solution.

1 Like

yes i am using signia streamline mic for that

ya thanks my country also have such decible HL criteria for implant qualification
i do not meet that criteria

@parth_p

Have you trialed different Aids to see if they give you better results?

1 Like

Agreed. If it were me, I’d want to try a Roger On for issues with speech in noise.

yes widex evoke 440 and signia 7Nx
but i liked 7Nx
presently finding what is next best alternative for me
may be phonak for roger in or partner mic
or
oticon for more channel
as i respond too poorly with widex 15 channel while with signia 48 channel and narrow directionality giving more peaceful and more understanding.

signia streamline mic i am using but for it i have to clip it to partner but in practical young life most are not ready to co operate and to wear microphone
group discussion is nearly impossible for me if noise is present especially outdoor

or may be its due to binaural algorithm of signia similar to beamforming of phonak

while widex has inter ear or inter oral difference like resound where i am not performing well to differentiate two different input in different ear

not sure about oticon algorithm whter they use beamforming or not if some one has input it will be helpful

Roger On does not require being clipped to person to work. It can be pointed or lain on a table for group conversations.

can be installed on signia 7NX or widex evoke 440 fusion 2 ?

Much easier with Phonak Marvel or Paradise. Maybe with other aids but would require an intermediate device that will accept a Roger X receiver.

I have a Roger On. You can point it in your hand like a startrek phaser.

WH

1 Like