Audiogram option in Apple Health app for iOS 13

I just noticed in the Health app in iOS13 an option for “audiogram” … appears to be a place where one could put their audiogram but I can’t figure out how/what to do? It just shows a blank graph now … anyone seen/use this?

It appears to be a placeholder for an upcoming feature.

2 Likes

As far as I know, the Health app doesn’t do audiograms itself, but can accept the data from apps that do, and perhaps there are other ways of importing the data.

The “Mimi Hearing Test” app claims to be (a) free, (b) now able to export results into the Health app.

While it seems to have very high ratings, haven’t the means or qualifications to determine its accuracy. There are claims that they’ve got EU certification, and are seeking FDA certification.

For best results, you should have a very quiet room; you need good earphones/headphones, and the only ones listed as “calibrated” are AirPods (not AirPods Pro), although I suspect something with better isolation might be helpful, esp. if a truly quiet room is not an option. You may end up doing it twice to learn to relax and respond accurately. It takes about six minutes, and does one ear at a time. I have no idea whether AirPods Pro or other noise cancelling headphones might interfere with accuracy.

While you can’t diagnose yourself, it might help you decide whether it would be worthwhile to consult a qualified professional.

There is a very basic app called iHearIt that allows you to enter your professional audiogram results and write them to the Apple Health app. It will also allow you to read and audiogram from the Health app, modify it, and write it back. (Why, I don’t know, unless you made a typo…?) At this time the app costs $4.99 but it is under active development (the most recent upgrade was a week ago) and the developer seems responsive.

I had a gift card balance so I paid for it and it does work as advertised. I would prefer that Apple give me the option to enter or import this data for free, but iHearIt is a decent no-frills paid work-around for now.

1 Like

Just downloaded, and when I enter the audiogram data it saves it as today’s date.

I wanted to enter a series of audiograms as my hearing has been deteriorating over the last 9 months… any ideas how to add a date to the audiogram?

1 Like

Actually, no. This was my first audiogram so I wasn’t looking at dates. I can see how that would be important going forward!

I have emailed the developer asking that he please add this function. Judging from the App Store notes the app is in active development so there’s a good chance that our request will be granted.

I would love to add a historical series of audiograms to map my hearing over time. Does this app do that or is there another one? Why doesn’t Apple offer its own?

1 Like

The date issue we are running into is that you can add the audiogram so that it shows up in the Health app, but there is no way currently to date each audiogram.

So, for example, if you put in three historical audiogram reports right now, all of them will post to the Health app on today’s date. There is currently no way to change the date on your audiogram entries.

I did hear back from the app developer today and he thinks adding the date is a fantastic idea. He is going to check Apple’s API and see if this upgrade is possible.

Hey, everyone! I wanted to circle back ans let you know that the developer of iHearIt on iOS has posted an update with our input.

Version 1.3 now gives us the option to backdate audiograms. I was able to import an old audiogram from Apple Health, click the Export To Apple Health button, and modify the date before completing the export.

Note: When you import, backdate, and export an audiogram it does not edit the original entry, it creates a new one. So you will want to delete the original entries after you post them with the corrected date. In my case all of my entries were on the same date so it was easy to find and delete them.

2 Likes