Audiogram Direct

When I used my audiogram top program my Audeo v90’s, I could tell that the Target recommended settings were way off. I have played around with the settings trying to get to a place where the sound isn’t so aggravating but still helps my high frequency loss with little effect. I found that Target will not let you adjust certain things. I assume it is using your audiogram results to decide what you need. I tried Audiogram Direct and after a little time spent figuring out how to use it, found that the audiogram it created showed less loss at high frequencies than the one the Audiologist did. It does have some limitations. You can’t test at 125 Hz, or at least I was never able to, and it won’t go above 6 KHz. It asks if you want to use these results in programming and I chose “yes”. Next. I manually adjusted the MPO settings down about 10 to 15 dB in the higher ranges that I don’t hear anyway. I turned Sound Recover up to maximum. People now seem to whistle when they speak, but intelligibility seems better. The really annoying sounds I was hearing seem much reduced too. I am going to try this for a few days to see if I actually get any real benefit from it. So, it seems that Audiogram Direct is at least useful, if not a true replacement for an in office audiogram. And, the Target recommended programming doesn’t always work. I doubt seriously if a fitter would have ever tried the rather extreme changes I made. If you have Target, by all means give Audiogram Direct a try. You don’t have to use the results you get unless you just want to.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever you’re happy with. Your description of “aggravating sounds” is pretty typical for getting used to hearing aids. Another approach to consider is to use acclimatization settings to let you gradually get used to new sounds. With Sound Recover, you might try backing the settings off a bit. The goal is to be able to hear “s” sounds without distorting other sounds too much. Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve gotten good results with Audiogram Direct. I wear Phonak Sky Q70 UPs and use an iCube II to program my HAs.

The article Phonak wrote about it says it should agree within about 10 dB or so of a conventionally done audiogram. My variation was more at some frequencies, but I don’t think that is a big deal. Although my high frequency loss is pretty bad, I am still not convinced that aids are worth the trouble. So far, I am seeing way more down side than up side to wearing them.

I think for DIY programmers it is a bit like a poor man’s real ear measurement. The audiogram itself is not a replacement for a full clinic audiogram but it does take into account the output of your aids in your ears.

I found AD more useful than entering my audiogram. I would accept a tone value based on a volume beyond the level where I heard the tone. I had also used it so many times I knew what effect I’d get from experience.