Asymmetric unilateral loss fitting question

I finally have my first fitting appt. next week and I’m nervous after having done so much reading that has made me think that my loss might be hard to fit. I did have a very quick appt at Costco a couple weeks ago where I was hoping to try a hearing aid, but HIS wouldn’t allow bc my MRI was still pending (came back negative), but she also said she didn’t recommend a HA at all and to just come back in a year. Said cost wouldn’t be worth it. It was all so rushed, I didn’t even really have a chance to push back and say I wanted to try. Overall, it wasn’t a great experience, which I think is also making me nervous about my next appt at a private audiology practice.

My initial assumption was that I would only need a HA for my right ear but, even before really reading about it, I was already concerned about the potential for annoyance/problems from having different hearing experiences on each side (one assisted hearing, the other normal “natural” hearing from left ear). Then I read several people’s accounts on here of similar situations who ended up preferring two aids even with one ear having normal hearing. Additionally, delving into all this binaural hearing literature is also making me think it might be better to have both ears aided (or leave both unaided longer and just do close follow up, although I really think I’m having some trouble now that could be helped by aids) and, thus, have the same sound entering both sides for better binaural processing/summation/etc.

Just looking for advice from anyone with experience, personal or professional, or just knowledge you could share on what you would suggest for my loss pattern.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have a friend with 1 x HA and 1 working ear but her bad hearing is severe.

You have a mild loss in your bad ear so amplifying will be around maybe only 5 dB to 10 dB.

Definitely try it tho as everyone is different in how they get on with things. You may like 1 or 2 or none. We are so individual.

2 Likes

I would go back to Costco and get an appointment for a test with a differant person. Then try out at least 2 in the store walking around for about 30-40 min each. See the differance in the short trial and then buy which ever you think sounds/feels best. You do have to pay up front but you will have 180 days to realworld trial it. If you don’t like it take it back and trial the other brand. If still not satisfied take it back and get refund completly. All you will be out then will be your time and gas to get there and back home. Years ago when I 1st went to Costco the lady who did my exam and set my aids up didn’t do a good job. I went back for an adjustment and she happened to be out that day so the other guy that worked there did the adjustment. He did great,and I have never seen the other lady again. At that time they just had the 2 people but now they have 6 fitters working there and I have used 3 of them for any adjustments with no problem I just ask for anyone but her when I get an appointment.

Costco is great for your average hearing loss, from my experience. The tech skills vary greatly, and none are at the level of an audiologist.
When my cochlear hydrops started doing crazy things with asymmetry, distortion, tinnitus, frequent large swings up and down, I found I had to go with a good audi. I bit the bullet and bought some unbundled phonaks on eBay for $2k less. I go to my audi and pay out of pocket for anything insurance doesn’t cover.
I think you’ll have a better assessment with an audi. I think you’ll like bilateral hearing aids for binaural hearing with phone apps (music, movies, calls, tv audio streamer device) even if you feel that you don’t need it for ambient sounds.