Are you embarrassed to wear hearing aids?

I have to say everyone is different. But in my experience, I think a hearing loss is very noticeable, and I can usually tell after a few minutes speaking w/ someone, almost always. I don’t always notice hearing aids though. :slight_smile:

I’ve worn HAs since 2nd grade, and back then you dont want to be seen as “different”, so yeah, back then it was embarrassing. Since growing up, it’s not an issue, as people earlier in this thread said, it’s like wearing glasses.

I actually use that analogy when asked by a child what those things are (watch the parents cringe when their kids ask that question :slight_smile: )

BTW, once you explain what they are, they don’t give it a second thought.

Hi Betty, my Mum was actually really embarrassed wearing hearing aids at first and in-fact would generally go without wearing them at all and preferred to struggle just getting by with lip reading mostly through conversations. She has just been fitted with the octicon acto which she absolutely loves and they came at a great price too so maybe have a look at trying them and see if they help with your confidence of wearing them.

Ask your friends that wear glasses full time if they are embarrassed with those “things” hanging on their ears.

Most will say no, glasses are acceptable, but somehow wearing corrective equipment for hearing is different than corrective equipment for vision?

No, I’m not any more embarrassed to wear HA than to wear my reading glasses.:cool:

I’ve been wearing my HA’s since October and was very self conscious about them although no one really noticed them unless I told them. My hair was short when I got them and I have since let my hair grow a little longer. I’m not as embarrassed as before, however, my world has changed since getting them!!!

I don’t know why it took me so long to get them and my first thought was “Gee, it sure it a noisy world out there.” I’m hearing things I never heard before and it is nice to have someone ask me a question only once and i hear them whereas before I didn’t or mistook their words for something totally way off, lol.

I love them with the exception of having issues with one (not fitting right) of them which I’ll post to another thread…

I was a little self conscience and only wore them where I had to - work and golf. Today a got a paIr of starkey soundlens (otolens) and you can not see them at all. Also, your cell phone controls the volume and a few diff programs. No one will ever know you’re wearing them. I do agree with most everyone here though - it’s more embarrassing to not hear what’s going on esp when you make believe you do and you’re wrong.

Same here - shaved head. Like Renovator said - most people don’t notice and I really don’t care if they do. If anything it tends to make them speak a little louder. I’ve joked about making the right one bright red and the left one bright blue. With my white head in between I’d be patriotic.

Heck no! But I’m embarrassed when I say “what did you say?” a million times a day.

Never, got over that along time ago. The hearing loss was more noticeable than these hearing aids.

What is your reaction when you see someone in a wheelchair or walking with a cane or a walker? What would you do if you had some other kind of disability? Perhaps the way you see people with other kinds of disabilities might be a clue to how you feel about having one yourself. You are not going to hide in a closet because of hearing loss, just as people with other disabilities do not. Just go about your business. People will react one way or another - positive, negative or in an indifferent manner. People with big noses or big ears or a funny walk are all out there. Think of how some people look in shorts. We, as hearing loss individuals, should be out there too and not think much of it. If they don’t make fun of us about this, they probably will about something else. Accept it and move along.

Instead of trying to hide them, you can always “rock” them! My audi has a male patient who wears bright pink ones during breast cancer awareness month, because his wife’s a survivor. Put in that perspective, a little hearing loss is a minor thing. And I don’t consider it a disability anymore than having bad eyesight (which I certainly have).

“We probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of us if we could know how seldom they do.” ~Olin Miller

I tried something like that, went for some white ones 10 years back when iPods started coming around. Most people didn’t notice or care but a few jumped to the conclusion that I had cordless iHeadphones. :slight_smile:

I’m 20 years old, and have lovely purple power hearing aids. They’re rather large and somewhat noticeable. Even more so now that I’ve put rhinestones on them. :smiley: You have what you have you know, just like some people have glasses and some people have brown hair. to me it’s about doing what makes you happy. I very much enjoy being able to hear the sound of the rain, and birds and people and running water.

++++++ I am not wearing hearing aids but that’s my oppinion also!!!

Hey Guys,
Some people could be interested in alternatives to hearing aids if they feel that hearing aids aren’t for them…
Have a look at this assistive listening device (Comfort Contego FM loop system(Hearing Aid alternative) for sale on ebay for less than half the retail price. I dont need it and someone else could use it.

Regards,
Anyad Audiologist

Embarressed!?? NO!. Well, maybe at first…
Hearing Aids? That’s so… 1980’s!! I’ll explain -
But… FIRST!.. It’s 2011 -

• The world is INSANE!!
  • Gas is pushing $4 a gallon!!
  • The found 'HIM'
  • (just staying polically correct). Ok - I'm not!!
Do you think ANYONE is worrying about what's between my ears neverless what's hanging from them? Nope! Don't pay your taxes - then lookout! :eek:

You’re still looking at it just the right way…

1. I don't see a need to tell anyone - ANYthing.[LIST=1]
  2. Would I start listing all ailments and family history?
  3. I wear hard contact lenses... They hiurt, but you can't see them! And, I can almost see you!
  4. There's a steal pin or three in my knee.
  5. I have diabetes too!
  6. Hell... :confused: Do we have to do meds too!??
  • I'd be talking for so long I am sure realization / depression may Kick in! Damn-it... New meds...
  • I'd probably forget about the aids in the end since they are 'newer' than some of the other crap... Besides - anyone would have left by now!
  • [/LIST]HEAR's the Deal (did you leave too?)...

I just changed the name - Marketing people… .Call me!!

They are no Longer HEARING AIDS…

Let’s call them Communication Gateways. :cool:
    Seriously… Today - They are sooooo much more…
    People, It’s those my age and younger (50) are the edge of technology. Meaning we either went with it - or still think it’s stupid!f I went the techno side…

With hearing aids in, powered up and finely connected I can…

Have a conversation with someone who babbles on and on… What to do??
    WIthout Communication Gateways…
    Listen on and on… until he shuts up or forgets what he was saying…

With Communication Gateways…

1. Stick the finger up (pointer people, pointer finger)
    2. Say..... Excure me, I have a phone call!
    • Hello, oh yes.... blah blah..
    • Bye..
  • Now, Where were we?
  • Oh, look at the time..
  • I have to go to bed...
  • I'm connected to my work's Blackberry and my Droid. My Music... TV directly... Hearing has gotten SOOO much easier in a number of areas...

Sorry folks, but I have a right to feel embarrassed about wearing hearing aids. Why, because it was my stupid firing of “the most powerful handgun in existence” without using hearing protection that caused the effects you see listed below. I had just gotten out of the Army where use of ear plugs was mandatory on the range, but thoughts of my own hearing were nowhere in sight after I bought the .44 Mag revolver. If you didn’t screw up your own sense of hearing, then you should not feel embarrassed to try to make your ears useful again.

Are you embarrassed by putting your buttons in the right holes, by wearing the same color socks on both feet, I thought not. wearing contacts and going for the least obtrusive HAs you can live with is fine, but being embarrassed is just plain silly.

Just my $0.02 but I have been known to be stupid at least one time in the past,

TerryB

I don´t have any other chance except wearing Hearing AIds all the way. I cannot hear without HA, at all.

if nobody notices them i dont say anything. why would you unless there are communication issues. you wouldnt tell someone you had your gallbladder removed would you? unless you were already discussing that anyway.
    bottom line its none of their business, unless like i said there are issues.
    ken