Are some people just unable to wear custom molds?

@zuikoholic

I trialed a pair of Phonak Marvels last year and the molds were the C Shells, which are a 3D printed mold.
It was acrylic, but fit like a glove.
I preferred the sound of Oticon, so went to the ON S MiniRite, and the 1st 2 pairs of molds had the same issue, the left would slip, and occlude.
They finally came up with the same design as the Phonak C Shells, and are great, so check if you’ve had C Shells, and I understand Phonak offers a Titanium mold that may help ( $$$).

Could you please post a picture. My search turned up a confusing range of possibilities.

This is a screen grab from Dr. Cliff’s you tube video:

The image on the right is the titanium cShell.

From phonak order form here is the images of custom molds offered for marvel/paradise

Thanks for the picture …

So, then, I guess that’s what I have? If so, I can concur with your assessment of their performance.

(Sorry, the twitchy site software won’t let me upload my pic.)

[Okay … after 11 tries to upload a pic of my mould, I give up!

Wow, even skeleton molds wouldn’t stay put? Or perhaps they were painful? Maybe some of us need velcro tabs sewn on our ears? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oticon calls them “MicroShell”, just about the same.
if your receivers are sealed in the mold, that’s what you’ve got.

Here’s a link

@flashb1024: Thanks for the link … mine seem to be called “Micro Shell”.

[My moulds are fitted with 100dB receivers, BTW.]

I have the power shell with canal lock,I am going to ask for a skeleton when I go to the clinic on the 13th of May

Keep in mind if it’s acrylic mold canal lock can break off easily if dropped accidentally.

1 Like

Something that I will have to deal with, with the power receivers the acrylic ear molds are my only choice. And I now have canal locks and my left mold still will not stay in place, so I would like to have more fuller ear molds

The skeleton molds stay put but the the left one was painful.

Jim

2 Likes

From what I know, when you change a sleeve or dome to another size or brand, the hearing program should be adjusted. I have been told it is one size does not fit all programs. The change can be simple or more complex, so I have been told.

4 Likes

My ear canals are small and I got custom molded and they were just physically too large. All of the cones they had on hand were also too big so the Audi fit me with tulips temporarily while they got re-made. The tulips worked fine and only needed a few minor adjustments to stop feedback. When the replacements came in. I didn’t like them at all. They didn’t feel good. The occlusion was annoying, and the port was so tiny that it wouldn’t let in the lower frequency room sounds that I could hear just fine without the HAs. I went back to the tulips and told her I didn’t want the custom molds. I told her I would have to get by with the tulips or I’d end up just not wearing them with the custom molds much at all. If my hearing was much worse, I might have had to adjust to the customs. I’m happy I didn’t have to and have worn the HAs 15+ hours a day for the last year and a half. I’ve had to learn to mitigate feedback by not covering my ears in certain environments where I have them turned up more, but that became a natural reflex after a while.
So, there are physical limits due to the size of the receiver and for ports that can function as intended.

2 Likes

I am lucky i have large canals, my step son has extremely small canals and has so much trouble with ear infections . He would have a terrible time being fit for aids

2 Likes

I tried two times fitting molded Oticons, but they didn’t work. I even lost one of them the first week. Luckily I had an insurance on them.
So I gave them up. I think a lot depends on the skill of the fitter. Anyway, after a year with BTE HA i saw an ad of the new Signia Silk ITE which was to supposed to fit instantly using silicon sleeves of different sizes. And it did! Have never looked back. And when one of them started to malfunction it was simply replaced , no waiting for new moldings. Maybe they dont work for everyone , but for me they are great.

1 Like

Finally have a set of molds that work! It took five tries and two different manufacturers! I wound up with a set of silicone skeleton molds from Westone. (second pair they made ft or me) The new molds are comfortable and stay pit!

Jim

5 Likes

Congrats. I may consider skeleton molds next time. Even with substantial concha locks mine back out a bit.

1 Like

Yeah they are very secure. Nice to know they are going to stay put, especially when cycling or climbing.

Jim

1 Like

I have Paradise P90s. I have been told if your hearing is good at Low frequencies, molds would not be good to get. But Jim, looking at your audiogram, it is similar to mine. How are they working for you. Do the molds help with speech. I really like the P90s.