Are Costco hearing aids actually better than mid level ones from bigger names like the Widex 220?

Or perhaps they could pay Costco and then file with the insurance for reimbursement.

1 Like

Yeah, clinics don’t love giving out pricing over the phone when they have never met you. A little bit of “is this my competitor calling me and checking my prices so that they can undercut me? Bring me a quote so I can see if I can match or beat them instead.” But probably a lot more of “I am the receptionist and I have no idea” and/or “we don’t know whether this hearing aid is even appropriate for your hearing loss”. You’re probably better off booking a consultation with the clinician, who will know all the pricing and what’s included with that and whether a certain device is reasonable for you. You get a feel for the clinician, too, which is a good idea because, again, you aren’t just purchasing the device you are purchasing the clinician’s services.

4 Likes

@Neville: That’s the answer I anticipated … thanks, Neville.

@frogman: I don’t believe Costco has ever “made” any brand of hearing aid, either in Canada, or anywhere else, for that matter

2 Likes

Thank you. And yes I know I can’t determine what’s best for him and neither can anyone on this forum, I just wanted to make sure this isn’t a situation where it’s almost always a mistake to go for a Widex Moment 220 rather than a “premium level” HA from Costco.

He’s never used a hearing aid and is even more confused by this stuff than I am. I think he’s going to go ahead with the Widex, and if there are any problems or complaints then we’ll try out Costco and keep the one he likes best.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this discussion has been helpful.

2 Likes

@user108: Make sure you get the audiologist’s return policy in writing. I doubt they will simply refund your money if you’re not satisfied.

2 Likes

I had a month and a half trial period for the Signia Ax models I end3ed up buying. I could have said 'no" and started over again with another brand. All free, no money down. Independent provider. There comes a point where the seller has to say, “you made your choice and bought the product after a lengthy trial. Four months after that, you want a refund? And why are the electronics fried, like you dropped it in the toilet??”

yes, I worked in retail.

2 Likes

This seems like a fine plan. There’s a lot that goes into getting a first set of hearing aids including personal motivation and adjustment, figuring out what will work best in terms of physical fit, auditory adaptation, and a pile of little things to learn. Digging deeply into the details always seems like more of a second set of hearing aids thing to do. Mind the return period, dive in, and see how it goes.

1 Like

I’d prefer more transparency. If the prices (and related explanations) were on the website there wouldn’t be a need to potentially waste the clinician’s time with a consultation. Nor do I like the idea of wasting one clinic’s time in order to shop the quote to other clinics. The “private” pricing thing is probably a good part of the reason so many clients end up thinking about HA clinics in adversarial terms.

1 Like

Sorry but I totally disagree, this is what is so messed up with the industry, it hasn’t got anything to do “is my competitor ringing to find my pricing” who does that, no body, this is why the whole market needs “restructuring” this is why we call the market a cartel, trying to be secretive, it’s all
marketing ploy to get people in the door and sell…sell…sell.

More marketing ploy, get the person in the door, just so you can try and “talk” them into how bad that deal is and how good yours is.

So what,what’s that got to do with anything ,that’s just more of the marketing ploy you guys pull, you get asked for a price on say Phonak L90, you give your approximate price, who cares whether it’s suitable or not, that’s not your decision!

Why? Again another marketing ploy you guys pull, why should anyone have to pay to find out the prices on HAs, it’s just another way to get them in the door, find out how deep those pockets are ay.

It’s a doomed business model, the sooner it collapses the better, so many companies do give prices out on the phone, Boots, Specsavers, Costco, plus some advertise on their respective websites, if they can do it so can you! now that’s what’s called a real “competitive market” not that old school marketing that you’ve been brought up on, it’s doomed to fall in the digital age.

Mate, let the customer choose if the “services” are worth it, give the prices out freely, don’t hide it, be honest and the market will correct itself.

1 Like

:fire_extinguisher: @tenkan :fire_extinguisher:: FWIW - I agree with everything in your post. It’s a cartel. It needs to be broken ip.

1 Like

Sorry I did that before I read your post ; )

@tenkan : Claire Bouyant?

I agree with you. I like the idea of all pricing for all services and devices being posted clearly. But I’m not a business owner and don’t deal with that stuff. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

[quote=“Neville, post:56, topic:73569”]
But I’m not a business owner and don’t deal with that stuff. :man_shrugging:t2:
[/quote]v

@Neville: Do the right thing, Neville! Set an example! Say to the owner of your clinic "Enough! I’m not taking another shekel of your filthy leuqueur paycheque until you post all prices for our customers to plainly see!

Do the right thing! C’mon!

Here in the UK, there are multiple multiple clinics with prices on their website.

Maybe the UK is different?

2 Likes

I think there’s a difference in mindsets. Many think of buying a hearing aid as like buying any other electronic device. I think good audiologists think setting up somebody with an appropriate hearing aid is a service. I don’t think many businesses that are service oriented advertise their prices. They’d like an opportunity to talk to you. Unfortunately in many cases, that conversation can end up being high pressure sales.

3 Likes

I will have a new experience with Duke Health. They do not bundle their services with the hearing aid cost. Depending on the medical codes I hope the services can be covered under my insurance.

I would actually prefer that devices and services be completely separated. Services covered by universal healthcare along with perhaps a selection of devices that have secured prices through a tender process, but if there’s a private pay component individuals can use a prescription to buy whatever they want in that category from wherever and bring it back for services. I have zero interest in sales and I’m not a fan of the bundled model, although I understand where it has benefits to patient care.

4 Likes

I think the main benefit is increased profits for the fitter.