Are Costco hearing aids actually better than mid level ones from bigger names like the Widex 220?

@prodigyplace: I thought sound frequencies were laid out along a step-less continuum . What are "normal frequencies? Are there such things as “abnormal frequencies”?

What are the practical implications for your hearing?

The typical audiogram has discrete measurement points, for instance 509 Hz and 1000 Hz. I was also tested between them at 750 Hz. The extra measurements are uncommon.I was measured between the normally marked measurements.

@prodigyplace: Yes, I understand. But these are simply arbitrary points. Of what significance are they to your audition?

I thought it indicated more than the usual attention to detail.

My initial opinion is that it sounds gimmicky. Unless there’s a reason to do it. Does it provide some concrete means to improve your fitting?

WH

@prodigyplace: Yes, but unless that detail has some practical merit, it’s just window dressing, isn’t it?

1 Like

It could have been needed by the otologist, I guess. It would also depend whether the audiogram input for the programming software accepts and uses the additional data.

@prodigyplace: Far be it from me to comment on the medical uses to which the additional data points might be put.

I was prompted to post because you are using this minor action of questionable aetiology as a selection criterion for audiologists: my point is simple - I wouldn’t read to much into it.

2 Likes

Well, “750 and 1500 Hz should be tested if there is more than a 20 dB difference in thresholds between the adjacent octave frequencies”, per Kramer. So the Duke(?) clinician may well know exactly what they’re doing, surprise, even if they extended this to other frequencies, and used other criteria to trigger additional testing. Don’t know why non-professionals would think they know better.

2 Likes

@x475aws: No statement was made that such testing should not be performed. Rather, a question was asked as to the significance/value of such a test to actual hearing.

This question remains unanswered by the flippant comeback.

1 Like

Perhaps it is being overly optimistic. After 20 years of hearing aids and exhausting the reasonably local audiology choices, I am grasping for a ray of hope. I currently see a large personal and business impact from my current situation.

1 Like

@prodigyplace: I have a great deal of empathy for you and your situation. I send you my kindest and most sincere best wishes for a successful resolution of your hearing-induced challenges.

Speaking of challenges - what I’m saying is don’t let this ray of hope blind your perspective. If I were you, I’d be challenging everything, saying “why are you/are you not doing this”? Try to discern the practical value to you of everything being tested and tried.

That’s the entire substance of my (opinionated) advice to you, and I offer it because - even though your rational mind is clear - emotions are running high. I say: just let your keen mind take the helm …

:anchor::sailboat:🛟

Peace

2 Likes

We only usually test the half-octave points if there’s a 20dB or more difference between adjacent values.

Sometimes I’ll drop in the 3Khz level as it helps to define an area that’s quite important for speech, it often comes up in respect of tinnitus and feedback measures. The 6Khz usually only gets measured if people fall off the scale at 8Khz.

2 Likes

Did you read something he’s written, or learn of something independently, or have a similar experience of your own that leads you to distrust the university clinic he’s going to? In the absence of any of that, dampening his hopes seems quite unhelpful and unjustified. Harmful, in fact. Simply not understanding the reason for some non-invasive clinical measurements doesn’t justify what you’re doing, in my opinion.

Thank you for your support.

None of us really know. They are supposed to see if they can adjust my KS8!aids tomorrow but I do not hold much hope in that. I expect I will end up choosing a new set of aids which they would need to order.

joke here deleted upon better reflection.

I would take widex sound over Philips any day… For what Is worth Philips / bernafon and sonic
are nearly identical (all channel free) similar wording on their tech. by identical

I am very interested in the tinnitus treatment feature, and that is why my brother insists that I go with Widex (not sure which level, but I assume the top end). Does anyone know whether Costco now offers a tinnitus (mitigation) feature in any of their HA models? Thank you

As @WhiteHat mentioned Costco models do have the tinnitus features just as any of the others sold from the clinics, unfortunately they won’t offer to provide programming the tinnitus features for anyone, but any other clinics could still do it for you,Widex do have a good controller, they also offer “notch therapy” as well, no one really talks about it, does it work… I doubt it, but anyways both ReSound (Jabra) and Signia
(Rexton) also offer very good tinnitus features, so Costco could still be an option if your prepared to find another clinic willing to sort through your tinnitus issues.

1 Like

With more recent hearing aids there is the possibility of remote adjustments being made.