Are all Costco hearing aid centers created equal?

I visited the nearest Costco center last week (about 25 miles from home, so I am not yet a member) and while I found the general appearance of the store “up scale” and the optical (eye glasses) center rather impressive. However, the hearing aid “counter” was very small (not more than 15’ wide I estimate. It had the look of an after thought, just added on and almost a “back office” appearance. It had a hearing testing (I assume it was) booth crowded behind the counter.

The Costco hearing aid counter may simply reflect the amount of business they do, but I wonder if another store in the area might have a stronger looking appearance. I understand form reading posts on this forum that Costco honors hearing aids purchased at any store, not just the one that sold the hearing aids.

Anyone know what “certification” the Costco staff has - and Audiologist? Is that a college degree, a state license? What professionalism can I expect from Costco hearing aid fitting, sales and support.

I was attracted to Costco by their Kirkland Signature 5.0, and the $1899 price for a pair.

Thanks,

There are a lot of excellent reports from people using Costco. Our local one has a tiny hearing aid center. I got my HAs from another place that cost a lot more for a comparable product. Had they been available at Costco at that time I most likely would have gone there. Wouldn’t care if it was in a refrigerator box in the parking lot.
Like any other profession you get people with credentials that are good and not so good. An ophthalmologist isn’t better at fitting glasses than an optician. I have an awesome audiologist who was very patient with repeated visits. You want someone who will work with you. This is not easy like fitting glasses. You have to have someone willing to tweak them and respond to your feedback to tweak some more.

— Updated —

There are a lot of excellent reports from people using Costco. Our local one has a tiny hearing aid center. I got my HAs from another place that cost a lot more for a comparable product. Had they been available at Costco at that time I most likely would have gone there. Wouldn’t care if it was in a refrigerator box in the parking lot.
Like any other profession you get people with credentials that are good and not so good. An ophthalmologist isn’t better at fitting glasses than an optician. I have an awesome audiologist who was very patient with repeated visits. You want someone who will work with you. This is not easy like fitting glasses. You have to have someone willing to tweak them and respond to your feedback to tweak some more.

tmrsuz,

Thanks, it was a surprise to me to see such a small “foot print” in the Costco I visited for the hearing aids. I have no need for expensive bells and whistles in the store, I prefer quality products and services at a value price to any fancy show. Your answer makes me feel better that the store I visited can is typical physically and can be as good as any other store. I have read generally good things about both Costco and the Sig 5 hearing aids.

I had my exam at Costco last Friday and decided to purchase the Sig 5. I wore a pair of hearing aids around the store that the tech adjusted to my hearing needs While in the booth I immediately noticed I was better able to understand the speech of the two people participating in my examination. It wasn’t explained, but I believe the other person was in training. In the store I was surprised how noisy it was, but still I could hear people talking much clearer than without the HAs. I decided to purchase but had to first join Costco. I wore the HAs while I was in line at the customer service desk and know I was able to hear what the Costco person said much better than I would have without the aids. I was surprised to learn that Costco did not take Visa or Master Card. They offered an American Express but I declined. I may get the AX card when I go back on Monday to pay and place my order for the Sig 5 HAs. I had a debit card which Costco would accept but didn’t use it. I may use it on Friday but think it a good time to open the AX as my first purchase, after the membership, is almost $2,000 guess that translates to $20 in payback for use of the AX. Costco is new to me, and not near my home, but worth the trip at this point.

I

All three of the local area stores I’ve been in had the same exact “very small footprint” booth. All stores displayed the license specs on their fitters - somewhere near the fitting booth door, IIRC. All are HIS’ in this area - none are Audi’s.

Nice that you find a HA that fit your current needs. I have been wearing HA since the mid 1990’s and have to change units more than a few times due to the changes in my hearing. Eventually you will become an “expert” about what you want your HA to do for you - not want the provider suggests - and find that some units are just better than others within the same price range. My current HA are in the Full-shell ITE unit that I found preferable to the BTE units primarily because I have small ears and also wear glasses. As for Cosco Centers My closest one also offer hearing Aids and speaking with them - at least at this center - they are not certified Audioogists but trained to use the test machine. For my latest set of HA I did some research with a copy of my latest HA test and found a pair like you did for under the $2000. price range at another HA provider .

Thanks, it is unclear to me what certification is important.

My insurance company (soon to end, 2014 and Obamacare kills my current coverage) pays $1,000 for hearing aids, one time. I contacted them and asked what is needed for me to file. They said a “doctor” needs to prescribe - define the need. So, on my annual physical I got my Primary Care Doctor (MD) to write me a “note” saying I need hearing aids. His staff does a quick test on hearing as part of the physical. So I decided to go ahead with the Costco HAs and hope the documents provided by Costco and by my MD will satisfy my insurance company. If not, I need HAs anyway. I’ll report my results.

The insurance company might want to have a statement (from an MD?) as to the type of hearing loss. My insurance company has told me that their coverage – maybe the same as yours – is only applicable for Sensorineural hearing loss – the most common kind, and the kind I have as a result of 21 consecutive months of Vietnam combat experience decades ago; lotsa loud noises. (And no, the VA won’t help.)

I call BS!
exactly why do you think the VA won’t? if you were in country (RVN) I can damn sure assure you that you qualify for VA Health Care. go to your local VSO and get the paperwork going. then you ask your primary care Doc to send you to Audiology they will test your and give you FREE top of the line aids, all accessories and endless batteries. If you also file for disability you will be rated and received a check every month. this is absolute fact!!

I thought we were done with Huston Hearing’s self-serving posts.

I asked my Costco pro about this and it is not true. I was told there are some manufacturers that stop repairing some hearing aids after 5 years, but it is not a Costco decision.

But, Costco is a business not unlike every other hearing aid shop. They are not going to keep the software and training that goes with it for old models, indefinitely.

Of course they certainly do have the newest technology.

Just catching up, I don’t get email notification when a reply is made… don’t know why, I have Instant Email checked…but that’s another subject.

I haven’t yet gone to the trouble to start making a claim on the insurance company…strange, I usually worry about every penny : (

I agree in theory on the VA, notwithstanding the mess we see now uncovered, and as a Navy veteran myself I checked on the possibility I might qualify for hearing aids paid for by the VA (tax payers) I was not ever under “fire” but I worked on the Navy flight line in the late 1950s (no war going on, other than the cold war). I was told that if I suffer from tinnitus (SP? ringing in the ears) the fact that I worked on Naval Air Craft gave me a good shot at being approved. I do not have any ringing in my ears so I dropped the issue.

good for you, saving the taxpayers money… it’s a lot of work to have the VSO fill out a claim for you.

you either checked a long time ago or got bad information…

I’m still not getting email notification of replies…maybe my ISP is blocking.

Not sure on what bad information: I talked with a NJ VA adviser at our Senior Center about a month ago. I got the impression he was working hard to get me qualified, not trying to turn me away - e.g., working for the VA and paid to deflect, deter, delay …

if your happy that’s all that counts…

— Updated —

if your happy that’s all that counts…

I got a call from Costco today. I have an appointment for picking up/adjusting my new HAs (Signature 5) on Monday. I look forward to a happy ongoing hearing experience. The Kirkland HAs have good reviews on this forum, a major input to my decision to purchase.

Actually, the veteran generally needs to have a documented change in hearing thresholds while in service, or records of being treated for hearing loss or tinnitus while in service to receive disability. Being in country does not automatically assure approval, so that’s not “absolute fact”.

Being in RVN guarantees you to be eligible for VA Healthcare. This absolutely FACT.

I was referring to the part where you stated that if you file for disability you will be rated and receive $$$. Just being in RVN does not guarantee that you will receive disability.

IF the veteran is rated for a disability they will received a monthly check. very few official medical records still exist for RVN Vets. that’s also a fact. the other fact is you do NOT need documented change in hearing while you were on active duty. if he was on a flight line of an aircraft carrier I’m willing to bet he can get a disability rating if he went through the proper procedure. it don’t cost nothing but he could end up with a nice tax free check the first one including back to the date he filed. .