Apple Working on New Health Features for AirPods, Including Hearing Test and Body Temperature Measurement in 2023

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2023-07-02/apple-airpods-plans-hearing-test-body-temperature-cheaper-models-usb-c-ljlfwffu

"Separately, Apple is exploring how it could better position AirPods as a hearing aid, a $10 billion-a-year market that’s ripe for reinvention.

Apple has already added hearing-aid-like features, such as Conversation Boost and Live Listen, but they don’t yet have regulatory approval. Last year, the US Food and Drug Administration eased hearing aid purchase rules, allowing for over-the-counter sales without an exam or prescription. That’s created more of an opening, and Apple has hired engineers from traditional hearing aid makers as part of this effort. "

5 Likes

Sounds promising @d_Wooluf, for mild, and moderate hearing losses… Apple have a lot of clout, if they decide its profitable enough, they will probably make that transition, and gain a few billion in sales… Somehow, I don’t think the major hearing aid manufactures would be able to compete with Apple, I could be wrong though, but, it should help to drive the overall cost of hearing aids down… Hopefully :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t see a downside @kevels55 even if I doubt that with my hearing loss I’ll ever wear an Apple device as a full time hearing aid. Any new players in the industry I see as a good thing, especially if it’s a company with the resources of Apple.

1 Like

Well @d_Wooluf, I think, I am definitely out of the equation :rofl: But, I totally agree with your sentiments, it’s a win, win for the mild/moderate HOH threshold, which is IMO, essentially the most lucrative part of a hearing aid market, in terms of actual sales… Apple are renowned for quality, they will be far cheaper than the competition (hopefully) a main player like Apple, is perhaps on the cusp of driving a wedge through the major hearing aid manufacturers, it has to be a good thing for product & price… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like