Apple Watch

I’ve just ordered an Apple Watch and plan to link my ComPilot Air to it.

2 Likes

@Zebras Here’s Apple’s advice on Watch/iPhone compatibility just in case you haven’t seen it yet and are like me, ordering it through a third-party. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine, always the (overly) enthusiastic newbie, I am. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@jim_lewis thanks. That’s good to know.

2 Likes

I just remembered, I added a complication to the Infograph face you show above for hearing devices. Go into the Watch app, then Accessibility and at the bottom add Accessibility Shortcut as Hearing Devices. Then back to where you edit the Infograph watch face, add Hearing Devices as a complication. Mine shows the volume (R + L) of my Resound aids. Tapping it lets me adjust the microphone level and the program, though each aid is listed separately so it has be done twice. The Resound app complication would be much better.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, Tim. I tried the Hearing Devices complication but as you said, found it was limited compared to the Smart 3D app. It does show a pretty good digital approximation of the charge level of my Quattro Li-ion batteries, though, something the Smart 3D watch app does not, surprisingly. The watch version of Battery Life, under the right circumstances, can also show me that as well.

1 Like

Yes, that could be my main watch face for the same reasons you state - most useful complications. I have it next to the old Modular that gives most of what I want through the day, and a plain Numeral for when I am somewhere that someone gets too interested in what I have on my watch, like a neighbors grandson. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just purchased an Apple Watch and it doesn’t seem to communicate with my Oticon OPN 1 hearing aids. I haven found anything specific to these HAs in the forum here. Anyone have any experience with this brand and the Apple Watch?

The Watch can’t connect directly to the Oticon aids. The watch has to control the aids through communication with iPhone or by way of the connect clip.
In other words the Apple Watch doesn’t have the MFI capability…

1 Like

Thank you. I am disappointed - this was a reason I bought the watch! :pensive:

1 Like

I use my watch mostly as a means to see incoming notifications, to change programs on my aids, and as my alarm. I have to a times get up before my wife and the watch vibrates to wake me up. A sound would have to be loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood for it to wake me up.

3 Likes

I have almost all audible notifications off on my phone so I don’t have my HAs going nonny on me while they try to play some audible thing I don’t need to hear that way. I can hear the notification from the watch acoustically through the HAs just fine, for the most part. Great little tool even if there isn’t a “MyPhonak” for Apple Watch…

WH

1 Like

Don’t know about Oticon but for ReSound one can install almost the equivalent of the full Smart 3D app on the Apple Watch itself (or a lighter weight version, if one doesn’t want all the HA control features available on the iPhone). The Watch has to have Wi-Fi or BT connectivity with the iPhone but HA control works pretty well via the Watch without having to pull one’s iPhone out or pump and press HA buttons, etc. That’s the reason I got an Apple Watch and I am quite pleased with my purchase.

It’s too bad the Watch doesn’t have MFi. I’d like the Watch to be able to send alerts, like alarms and countdown timer alerts, directly to my HA’s. Also, it would be nice if one could use Siri directly from the Watch without having to have the iPhone nearby - and hear Siri’s response directly in one’s HA’s. But maybe someday MFi will come to future Watch versions.

I have.given up on the Oticon app, the iPhone and watch control panel does everything I need done

I have the Oticon More 1 and use the Oticon On app for iPhone and Apple Watch. I like using the Watch app to make quick program or volume changes when phone is in my bag and not easily accessible.

1 Like

I think the new Phonak Paradise P90s will connect to an Apple Watch via Bluetooth directly (no extra device needed and no phone nearby). Is that right? Any other new ones folks know of that are doing Bluetooth for real either now or coming soon? (Not just MFI)
My understanding is the Apple Watch will never support MFI.

It connects if you want that. I don’t. It doesn’t give control (which I would want — kinda jelly of the MFI aids that do that) and gives me all the notification noises (silencing everything else for a while ea time). I think I can change volume. But I can’t see/change programs, balances, etc. I suppose good for phone calls and streaming media. But I do that through my phone.

I have Phonak audeo p90r has, iPhone 12pro max and watch 7.

WH

I’m so impressed with what you have done.

I have a work iPhone SE. I finally bought an iWatch 6 about 1/2 a year ago. I haven’t found any way to make it work with my my Phonak Audeo P90’s–the Paradise rechargeable hearing aid.

I’ve found my hearing aids to be challenging to maintain and change settings on.

Thanks for your post.

Dave

1 Like

Thanks. The Apple ShortCuts do have their limitations. I wish Apple would make the ShortCuts even more powerful. But perhaps it’s safer for most users to limit what ShortCuts can do.

1 Like

I had a thought as to why hearing aid smartphone app complications might not be available for Apple’s newer watch faces as pointed out by Narenkona in a post above.

While rambling on in another thread about Apple Watch complications (see the Edit_Update at the end of the linked post), I remarked that Apple warns users that complications have app background refresh on the Watch always on even if you think you’ve turned background refresh off in the general app Watch settings. Some always-on complications can cause watch battery drain. I seemed to have found that out the hard way for the Reminders watch complication where the iPhone copy of my Reminders app was linked to a pretty active Exchange Server account, causing the watch complication to frequently refresh and rapidly drain my watch battery.

Perhaps the reason that Apple or MFi HA OEMs have not made HA app complications available for newer Apple Watch faces is that HA app complications with background refresh might cause a significant watch battery drain. Perhaps Apple or the HA OEMs did not want to pull the rug out from under users by killing off HA app complications for the older watch faces that folks were used to using?

OTH, an Apple Shortcut complication to a HA app on the watch probably isn’t doing much until you touch the complication on the watch face to indirectly launch the HA app.

1 Like