Apple CarPlay and Oticon OPN

Had Apple CarPlay installed yesterday with a Kenwood DNX994S in a 2017 Honda Fit LX. Seems to work well, but the hearing aid connection is a bit of a tricky issue. I had not experienced this before as I did not listen to the radio in my vehicle.

When I use just CarPlay to make a call, the radio shuts off as it does in pretty much most auto entertainment systems. However, when I have the call go to my HAs, the radio keeps playing. As I see it, most of these entertainment systems have a simple protocol. Call comes in or goes out? Stop playing radio or music, till call ends. Same goes for navigation instructions. However, when the call is routed to the hearing aids, it seems to tell the system “Other activity has terminated, you can resume”

When I use my Oticon OPN with my iPhone, works very well, and I really enjoy being hands-free with my call.

When I wear my HAs in the car, I can hear the music, calls, map navigation quite well, but would still prefer to have it routed to my HAs.

As it stands now, when I listen to music or watch YouTube on my computer, I have to remove my HAs and use earphones or earbuds. In my work, I have hour long consulting calls several times a day on either Skype or GoToMeeting and have to remove my HAs and use earphones or earbuds. So, a lot of my hearing day is having to be without my HAs.

Talking to Apple, my audiologist and hopefully Kenwood soon, to try to resolve this.

Hands free?

I have Apple Carplay in my car. I’ve had this before I got HA’s and wear Oticon OPN 2 mioni RITE.

I stopped using Carplay for one big reason. Everytime I’d connect my phone to the USB charging cord to the car and Carplay would load, the music on my phone would play, very irritating when you just want to drive and charge your phone. Sure you can turn the radio off or change the audio source, but several times during my drive, my music would start playing again. I started using a USB 12-V adapter.

So, I don’t know if in my car with my HA’s if Carplay works. However, it would be a concern if I connect my phone through the regular USB while wearing my HA’s that the musicAsfar aas my playlist would suddenly start playing on it’s own. Could be startling and cause a possible accident.