Apple announced Hearing Aid functionality in AirPod Pros 2 with clinical Tone testing

Added a link to HearingTracker’s coverage in your post @kiki. Hope you don’t mind.

2 Likes

Well I’ll be danged! I didn’t know that. I used to use a pair of Sennheiser headphones to answer phone calls WAY back in the day around my Oticon OPNs. Oticon’s streaming device was delayed for these aids by a good year or so. I gave up and took many a call with my Sennheiser,

Yes, I am an audiophile, and have not seen the eyephones either - proof that I live in a cave. These make me GIGGLE! I should read up on them, but are they for music, TV streaming or just strolling around my 'hood looking like an alien? :alien:

If it works and they want to screw with them on their own I don’t care. I just know situation and they would put me back in the stone age. As my audiologist and the one before says I don’t have a textbook hearing loss, my hearing loss is one to be added to the book. From my experience over the last 6 years I still won’t attempt to try to fit myself.

Yes, the old momentum 2 wireless! I too was a fan until the CClip was released. On occasion, I still listen to some tunes on them.

The creator of these insane audio products does this as a personal project with a very bizarre sense of humor.
With the link I provided, you can click on his profile, and see his incredible assortment of wild headphone inventions.
So, although he goes to extreme lengths to produce his vast array of outrageous products, they would not be very practical for us mere mortals.
His posts on reddit are cherished by the audiophile headphone crowd, because of the sheer audacity of it all!

1 Like

First report of the new firmware bits from my son:
So weird
Good weird
Closing doors is quieter now

I saw an announcement that Apple had dropped new firmware bits last night in prep for the new ios next week.

WH

1 Like

Yes, mine got updated to the latest firmware (7A294) today, but the hearing aid feature isn’t available yet.

Have you put your audiogram into the hearing section of the health app? It does quite a bit. It helped me some, but I couldn’t live with the occlusion.

WH

Yes, I’ve been using “Headphone Accommodations” with “Custom Audio Setup” based on my audiogram for a while. While I don’t mind the occlusion, the AirPods Pro 2 still fall a bit short for me. I’m hoping this new hearing aid mode will be better than the custom transparency mode.

2 Likes

LOL! He does seem to be from another planet! What a passion for perfection and creative imagination. I used to attend the hi-end audio shows just to see what’s new and improved, and I’ve seen GROWN MEN crawl on their belly over to a receiver or equalizer and snap a picture of it. Without a blush. :joy:

1 Like

Sonova’s purchase of Senheiser is quite recent and as of now nothing come out of this fusion [including Senheiser all-day clear which is all Phonak with Senheiser’s name slapped on].
I hope we’ll see something better than this:

One of the tricks I do to make them work with my weird ears is to put in the airpods and twist them upwards slightly. They look weird but they stay put better. :smiley:

I wouldn’t place much stock in that review. They say they’re comfortable, but complain about the fit?

I have no skin in the OTC game, but just a random search produced some very positive reviews, so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

You don’t have to look far, just go into details of HearingTracker’s review.
While on the surface it might look fine [overall score of 4], it has one of the lowest scores for speech in noise [1.0].

As explained in other threads here, these airpods do not work as standalone HAs. They cannot store your audiogram, your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) does. So if you have an Android phone and an iPad (as I do), you need to carry the latter in your backpocket to enjoy using your HAs. Typical Apple walled-garden thinking.

This is wholly expected. I’m not an Apple user just to be clear, so it won’t affect me directly, but I expect them to have an effect on the market as a whole.

1 Like

Do we know that limitation will carry over to the new hearing aids function? Probably but maybe not.

Hopefully some rich forum members will buy the new Air Pod 2s and trial all the new features in iOS18 and report back here on their experiences.

My son has AirPods Pro 2, and we expect 18 to drop tomorrow.

WH

The nice thing about this is AirPod Pros have been out and on sale around $200 on and off for months and months. 2nd gen with magsafe charging option and usb-c and lossless audio was back in March 2023.

They’re currently $191 USD on Amazon.

It cost is a concern try to at least test fit them to your ears (from a friend or a store with a good return policy) as some people find the fit doesn’t work for them.