Anyone with United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan?

My phonak marvel 90 r hearing aids warranty is about to expire in April 2022. I’m hoping to find someone in this forum who also has United healthcare Medicare advantage plan hearing insurance. I plan to replace my marvel 90 r aids with phonak Paradise r90 aids. The insurance plan that I have with United healthcare requires a copay of $1,450 per aid ($2900 for a pair) for the Paradise model p90r.

Have any of you had the experience of actually using this insurance benefit to purchase hearing aids through United healthcare’s hearing coverage program? I’m very curious as to how this worked out for you.

1 Like

Isn’t the Phonak Paradise 90 the current one offered by Costco as their signature brand, the KS 10? I could be wrong. I’m sure some will come along and clarify.

But if I am correct, then you can go to Costco and get the pair for $1800. You won’t be using your insurance at all. Burt you will be less out of pocket.

Definitely something to investigate.

1 Like

Yes you are close to correct. They are exceedingly close. The phonak version has the mic lined up differently than the ks10. Costco doesn’t activate tinnitus or support it. And the Costco version doesn’t offer fine running of tap control. There are other very minor differences, but essentially they have nearly identical specifications.

Is Costco now charging $1800 as you mentioned? Until quite recently it was just $1400.

1 Like

Yes, I have. It worked well. United/Epic sent me to HearUSA. I trialed some Signia’s before trying and keeping the Phonak’s. I paid extra above the $2000 United covers for the Signia’s, and the extra amount I paid was refunded to me from United/Epic after I returned them, then I ended up paying a total of $2,498 for both Phonak’s P90 13T RIC above the $2000.

Costco would have been cheaper, but they won’t sell me hearing aids… too complicated a case, I guess! Too bad, since I live two blocks away from Costco.

1 Like

I had a United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan last year when I got my Phonaks. The insurance saved me only a small amount on the cost of the hearing aids, but it did pay for the fitting, and follow up appointments. Overall, I was not too impressed. I have since changed to a different Medicare Advantage insurance provider, but not just because of the hearing care benefit.

1 Like

I will say that according to the United/Epic agreement, I may be limited in follow-up appointments with HearUSA after the 45 day trial period. I’m looking for the exact quote, but can’t find it right now. So far I haven’t gone over the amount of visits stated. I received these in July of '21.

1 Like

It does now. The KS10 had a firmware update.

2 Likes

I have UHC Medicare advantage. Check your coverage with the contact number on your insurance card. I am able to use my audiologist (because the practice is a member of the Epic program). I have Oticon More aids and paid $0. I can get new one every two years. Again, each policy is different. Check with your UHC representative for exact details.

1 Like