Anyone taken their hearing aids to a new Audiologist?

@user715

Totally agree

Sorry to call you out on this, but that’s utter tosh.

There’s three routes to the industry;

1, BSc - proper Audiology degree with the NHS.
2, Foundation Degree with an Undergraduate program and on the job training.
3, The old HAC year Course, exams and 6 month portfolio and on the job training. (No longer available).

At no point can you call yourself an ‘Audiologist’ unless you went route 1. You can use ‘Hearing Aid Audiologist’ or ‘Hearing Aid Dispenser’ in relation to 2 and 3 once you’ve passed. These terms have ‘Protected Title’ status in the U.K.

We’re (Dispensers) regulated in the U.K. by the HCPC, they keep an up to date record of qualifications, continuing professional development and any patient conflict issues.

The half life of a 30 year old degree isn’t what you might think it is, and I’d be careful about spouting out of date opinions in relation to the qualifications of dispensers in the U.K…

3 Likes

You’re right.
I believe the most important thing is setup. So the person doing it is key.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

@Um_bongo

Thanks for the update on this. I guess I misinterpreted what my private Audiologist was saying, and therefore apologise.

It does make me wonder how many of the staff in our local hospital Audiology department are actually Audiologists though, and how the ratio has changed over the years of cutbacks. I know the first one I saw at my last NHS replacement fitting (and 2nd fitting) was qualified, but not sure of those afterwards, who said things that didn’t sound right, and said things like “you’ll need more powerful hearing aids”, when the parameters of my loss is well within the range of the Audeo Marvel. Anyway, that’s why I went private.

Peter

3 Likes

@PeterH

My hospital has apprenticeships audiologist.

Not sure how that training works tho.

2 Likes

There were different grades of ATO indicating the level of technician and pay scale. Any Audiologist should have the BSc course behind them. I believe there were ATO grades from 1-4 and BSc audiologists landed at grade 5. Then went on to become Clinical Scientists with further study and managerial grades.

Unfortunately there’s a culture of the NHS looking down at the private sector from some departments. I used to work across both, and encountered very rudimentary skills in some NHS hospitals and some cutting edge. Same goes for private practice: some practitioners are just more switched on than others. There were independents and NHS people who were equally afraid of Pc based testing and fitting, before we even considered video otoscopy.

That’s why I have a bit of a rip on here when I see a handwritten Audiogram. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a bad audiologist, but it tells me where they are in their technology evolution.

3 Likes

A good Audi like a good Bike Mechanic should become a friend for life. Always move around if not happy you don’t need to stay in a relationship that isn’t working for you.

My Phonak guy is worth his weight in gold, he treats me and my KS10s they same as his own prescribed patients

1 Like

Great advice!!! I don’t care if it is an AuD or a HIS, if they know their products, care about their patients and use best practices, stick with them. There are many great hearing care providers out there but unfortunately there are also some who just lack empathy, real knowledge or are just after a quick sale. It becomes a personal relationship in the best cases. I can definitely vouch for that after being a practice owner for 22 years and consulting around the US for eight years. There are really good and really bad ones. Stick with the good ones.

2 Likes

@Um_bongo

That’s exactly my experience.
My audiologist worked miracles getting me Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s.
However, he was never able to set them up so I could hear. After 2 years he suggested that I find someone who can help me more, and we parted friends.

However, his last audiogram showed my hearing had miraculously improved. That’s how we parted company, the audiologist and I. He did request that I let him know what he had missed with his setup.

Hand written audiograms…oh my.

DaveL
Toronto

My audiiologist does those, and she’s good.

1 Like