Anyone taken their hearing aids to a new Audiologist?

After months of seeing my audi/HCP for adjustments and changes, I’m thinking it’s time to switch. It’s been one step forward on one issue but one step back in another area. At this rate it could another six months to address issues and, this is the crux, I’m not confident we’ll ever get there. I should have another appointment coming, waiting to hear back (scheduling is never easy), and I’m thinking having that hard talk then, but I’d appreciate some perspectives and be prepared:

How would switching audi work, as there’s many angles. I don’t think they’re ‘locked’ like I have heard can be the case, but could be. Would another audiologist take me as a patient I’ve already got one? Would this switch pop-up on manufacturer tracking or be prohibited based on initial licensing to the first audi? My current audi is under contract for service and that contract is pretty slim, you get HAs and support, but no terms on performance or getting out of the contracted services. Is going DIY a better choice here, instead of switching?

TIA for any input.

Edit: I’m US if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

@DaveL has had great success doing this Altho he’s not the USA.

2 Likes

@Zebras

@user715

I’ve had problems with audiologists twice. I forgot I need to advocate for myself.

The last instance…good hearing aids (and it’s a miracle I got them. Hat’s off to my audiologist who made a case for me. Hearing loss is due to an award for hearing loss due to high levels of noise at work.)
But he never got results.
My wife saw this. Every visit she would say, “He doesn’t know what he’s doing.” That went on for almost 2 years. It affected me and my family.

My new practitioner set them up using the same methods as my audiologist did. Now I can hear. I asked for two years, “Is there something that is missing in my setup?” There was. Two items (maybe more I don’t know about.)

The day the new practitioner did his work, my wife said: “night and day difference.”

I considered diy but didn’t for several reasons.

• I have an award for hearing aids, setup and maintenance. I didn’t want to compromise that.
  • I have an iMac computer. The software requires a pc. I don’t have computer skill. I wasn’t about to take on learning how to use the pc software on my ancient iMac. I’m on fixed income watching my pennies.
  • I regret I didn’t try.

Strong regret–I should have moved decisively much sooner.

Hope this helps.
DaveL
Toronto

5 Likes

Unless your hearing aids are from a franchise (Miracle Ear, Beltone, Audibel etc) they probably aren’t locked. You can go to whom ever you choose. Be advised though that the new place will not honor the free adjustments and service. That was paid for when you bought the instruments and went to the original seller. Not all practitioners will take on someone with hearing aids bought else where. Most that do will charge a flat fee to take you on or will charge by the procedure. But if the current provider is not doing the job, it certainly pays to look else where. There can be a huge difference in competencies and empathy between providers. Good luck.

5 Likes

I switched to a new audiologist whom I like much better because she told me about some options I didn’t know about. She reprogrammed my hearing aids and said just before warranty is out to bring them to her and she will send to the manufacturer for 'clean and repair". The ENT told me I probably need a C.I. but she looked at my hearing test and said I can still benefit from wearing both HAs.

6 Likes

I’m in the USA and made a switch to a new audi. This was way back in 2005! I’d just moved to a new location, and the new audi was sporting a lab coat emblazoned with the very brand of aid he insisted was the best choice for me! He then proceded to take multiple ear impressions - none of which fit - on top of which I ended up with otitis and an allergic reaction to the last two acrylic molds he had made.

I was SUPER lucky to find my next audi - in that same city - whom I stayed with for 15 yrs till making another cross-country move. New place, new audi, and this time, I lucked out again! I really like my new audi cuz she goes the extra mile for me with Phonak service, and she really listens to my issues and takes time to read all the notes I bring to appt’s with me.

You can find good audis through referrals (friends, family, doctor) or do online research and find those who are highly rated, but ultimately, you have to “connect” with the audi, which takes gut feeling. When the chemistry is right, you can develop a wonderful relationship over many years, as this audi is a key partner for LIFE! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m about to switch but not going to tell my current. Might have to go back to her for something and no reason to burn that bridge. I have Phonak so she will see I’ve been somewhere else when she connects to mine. My contract doesn’t say anything about me agreeing she is the only pro who can update my hearing aids, and i will remind her of that if it ever comes up. You may be able to bundle some services for a set price. I’m guessing around$ 500-1000 usd. Or some will do pay as you go.

2 Likes

@1Bluejay

My audiologist-who-quit after failing to set up my hearing aids for 2 years has the best Google ratings in the city I live in. Perhaps that’s a warning?
DaveL
Toronto
(so I drive two cities away to go to my new Practioner. But I can hear now!)

3 Likes

I’m suspicious when there’s an abundance of gushing reviews that use a lot of words.

3 Likes

That was pretty much my idea, a new one but not burn a bridge with my current. I haven’t thought about bundling, and after being burned once it’ll be hard to put $500-1000 of faith in a new audi sight unseen… It really wasn’t until fourth fitting sessions I could tell my audi was struggling, when I really noticed we weren’t speaking the same language, and when throwing darts blindfolded didn’t work it became throwing sledgehammers. The next fitting is going to be undoing those sledgehammers.

2 Likes

It can be done, you just need to call around. I found a single practice audi that will do a hearing test, program aids, and preform rem, and with 2 follow-up visits for $300-400 in the So Bay area of Los Angeles (and he is very competent). Many others denied service without purchasing the aids from them. They were all group type practices but not franchise type.
Best wishes

4 Likes

@x475aws @DaveL Too true! I’ve learned online reviews for medical service, both 3rd party and especially, provider hosted, are best taken with a very large grain of salt. It’s almost a red flag.

4 Likes

those are reasonable rates, for sure. Of course, for us, the HA wearers, we have to go in not knowing if the new audi is any better than the old; of if the old audi was fine but our expectations too high; or the issue is with the aids and a new audi can’t do anything more than the old. the upside for audis for charging low-ish rates for folks who come in with aids they bought elsewhere is, those folks will stick with them going forward if they’re successful. Trying a new audi is a gamble for the patient, especially if it’s costly going in.

All major brand HAs are very good. So it’s down to the audi, the practitioner, to be able to program them well. Still, there are a certain percentage of patients that are nearly impossible to work with, I imagine. They want their old hearing back, or more. Nothing will satisfy them. I’m not AT ALL suggesting this is the case with the OP!!! there are plenty of people here who’ve finally found a competent audi that made their very good HAs actually work!! The audi is crucial; programming is everything and some audis can’t seem to do it well.

3 Likes

I am about to switch. I used the same audiologist for 30+ years following her when she left a position with an ENT to join a non-medical firm. She eventually retired to Florida. The firm she was with has changed hands and I don’t see much value in travelling the long distance that has not earned my trust.
I made appointment with a local ENT and will bring my hearing aids for examination to see if they can work with them. They are in need of reprogramming for my changed hearing, but they are otherwise very functional. Since I have no insurance to defray the costs, I am not interested in purchasing a new pair of hearing aids.

4 Likes

I have a cochlear implant and I moved to another state. During that time, I chose a place with a large CI center which does hearing aid as well. They requested my entire medical file and mapping file so they get a better understanding on me and my CI operation.

3 Likes

I have an appointment with an audiologist. I recently bought hearing aides from Costco and she is having difficulty setting them up. I hear that Costco’s hearing aides are locked so it may have to.be a full return with Costco, pay back the reimbursement and start all over again.

1 Like

No that’s incorrect, none of the models sold by Costco are, there were some many years ago but it’s not the case now.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I will see how they handle it. I am being told I have to return the Jabra’s and purchase from them ( audiology group). Red flag???

2 Likes

I could see their thinking that returning the Jabra’s is for a credit instead of a refund. But that case could only be argued if the Jabra’s are outside a trial period.

Might not be locked, but there’s software that’s not necessarily uniformly available across the board for the Costco product.

3 Likes