Anyone having issues with Apple MFi Hearing Aids?

How did you get Apple’s attention to that degree?

Two things i did to get Apple’s attention.

1. use accessibility@apple.com email
  2. schedule a support call-back appointment

When ingot their attention i made sure to tell them i have seen this symptom across three brands and 5 or 6 different pairs of HAs and that i probably had helpful data for them and was willing to do a bit of work.
Now all i have to fo is figure out how to get them to pay me. :blush:

I get clicking intermittently. Used to be on phone but haven’t had it happen on awhile. I was steaming an audio book the other day. The clicking started in one ear … I opened battery door. Restarted that HA. Clean cling stopped for a bit then reoccurred. I thought maybe it was the item I was streaming , like the format etc. Reoeated the opening of door. Then never happened again. It was strange, but glad it went away. Could it be some type of interference. I was by the TV. I’m just happy it doe not happen too often as it is WAY annoying. With iOS 11.2 my HAs are performing with the iPhone much better. The HA app was updated also.

Resound Enzo report - the iOS update solved the drop out and hunting issues for me. And the switching is faster, too. Not audio artifacts either with the aids audio or music audio. Oddly every once in a while, the iPhone will feed a text message alert tone to my aids

Everything is working great for me with my Resound Linx3D and iPhone 7+. The only issue that still remains is the odd clicking or crackling sound when you are talking on the phone or listening to music, etc. I also find that from time to time, one of the hearing aids temporarily disconnects. My suspicions for both of these problems is just plain radio interference. It’s a new reality that when you live in a large city, all your neighbours are running Wifi networks along with numerous devices that are all connecting via Wifi, Bluetooth and other radio connections. I suspect that many of the radio bands that are used by the MFI devices are already full of interference. Not sure how you solve this problem and the only way to test this theory is to try the hearing aids outside of the city in a more remote area.

Does anyone here live out in the country? Curious what your experiences have been.

Jordan

@JordonK. I live very rural. My clucking has got much better. Just occasional clicking.

Wsomething strange happened before I left work. My doctor’s office called me and my my right hearing aid stopped streaming. My left HA, still streamed the call, but since my left ear is my worse ear, I couldn’t clearly understand the person on the other end. I just put the phone to my right ear and I could hear the other person fine.

Then I placed a call on my way home and I had the clicking in my left HA, but it was more like a tapping noise, not clicking. Drove me nuts.

I have the Oticon OPN 2 HA’s and an iPhone 6+ runnung 11.1 ( know I have to update to 11.2). Have had these HA’s for a month, no issues till today.

Funny you mentioned this. By the way, Apple now has released 11.2.1 (I know, just can’t keep up with them, can we?).

I have OPN 1s and it’s been working perfectly fine with my iPhone 7 Plus all along and suddenly yesterday my left HA stops getting the data stream from the iPhone. But it still connects and gets volume and program commands from the iphone just fine. The right OPN 1 still gets the data stream just fine, however.

I did everything I could (reboot the iPhone, forget device, re-pair several times) to no avail. That’s when I checked for software update and learned about the 11.2.1 release. Even with this new 11.2.1 install, it didn’t help.

Luckily I have an iPhone 6 Plus as a back up and both my OPNs stream fine from this 6Plus. So I knew for sure that it’s an issue with my 7 Plus. My last resort was going to be to restore the 7 Plus to factory default and if that doesn’t help, head over to the Apple store (although my 7 Plus warranty has recently expired already).

Lo and behold, before I started restoring my 7 Plus to factory default this morning, I tried it out one last time and all of a sudden everything works fine again (the 7 Plus starts streaming data to my left OPN again).

I have no idea why it happened and how it resolved itself. But the steps to try to resolve it yourself would be to forget and re-pair the OPNs first, if that doesn’t help then reboot the iPhone then re-pair with the OPNs. If that still doesn’t help, if you have another iOS device (like an iPad or a family member or friend’s iPhone), try your OPNs out with their iOS device. If that works well, then it’s something with your iPhone and not the OPNs.

Finally, if all else fails and you determine that it’s your iPhone and not the OPNs, then try to restore your iPhone to default factory settings. If that still is no good, then it’s time to claim your Apple warranty if it’s still under warranty. Luckily for me, I was able to avoid these last few steps because all of a sudden, it works well again overnight. But before that, it consistently failed to stream data to my left OPN no matter what I tried.

1 Like

Disconnecting BT and connecting again in settings sometimes works too. I had loads of problems with connections and streaming dropping from one ear or switching back and forth. Finally with Apple iOS updates and my HA app update things are cruising right along. “Knock on wood”. You know what happens when we say things are working … :flushed:

1 Like

I just wonder if the the the mometary streaming stoppage in the right HA had anything tondo with tapping in the left sid an hour later while I was on the phone. When I madd that call an hour later there weren’t any issues streaming with both aids, just the annoying. Consistent tapping sound in my left HA.

I’ll try the iPhone update, make the phone forget the aids, then re-pair the aids to the phone.

Don’t forget Volusiano’s suggestion about rebooting the iPhone as well. Just hold down both the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Rebooting is always something to try if your phone isn’t working right.

Just a small comment: for the iPhone 7, rebooting is a little bit different, with the power button and the volume down button (not the home button).

1 Like

Thanks for that reminder. For the iPhone 8 and 8+ it is also a bit different - you have to press and release the volume up button then the volume down button and then press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.

I have an iPhone 6+. I think for my phone it depends on what version software you are running. It used to be home button and the sleep/shutdowm button the right. Now all I get is Siri when I do that. You used to get and option to re-boot or power down your iPhone.

I have a 6S and I see Siri pop up when I do a reboot, as well. It doesn’t matter… just keep holding both buttons and it will reboot.

I have iOS 11.2.5 beta 1 installed and the bad news is the audio problem still exists. I’m on an iPhone X now but had same issues on my iPhone 7 Plus before this.

I reported the bug again to Apple and suggest everyone with this issue write to accessibility@apple.com.

I signed up to add I have the clicking issue like many have posted about and desIcribed here Bug #1: Clicking sound in Opn 1 while Bluetooth streaming phone calls / audio streams - Oticon - Hearing Tracker Feature / Bug Database. I have an iPhone X on 11.2.1 and am wearing a brand new set of OPN 1’s. I will send an email to Apple next, hope to find resolve soon.
R

I just want to say that if you experience issues with your HAs on the iPhone, just flip from the bottom up to get the shortcut? page (if that’s what you call it? I’m not sure what it’s called) then turn off Bluetooth for a few seconds and turn it back on and hopefully the issue will go away (at least for a while until it reappears next time around).

I’ve been able to use this approach successfully myself.

1 Like

You get to Control Center on an iPhone X by dragging your finger down from the right corner, or up from the bottom on iPhones with a home button.

The reason this works is that the clicking is caused by other devices using the same frequency and interfering with the signal. Turning Bluetooth on and off forces the phone to select a different frequency.

Jordan

2 Likes