Anyone having issues with Apple MFi Hearing Aids?

Just a small comment: for the iPhone 7, rebooting is a little bit different, with the power button and the volume down button (not the home button).

1 Like

Thanks for that reminder. For the iPhone 8 and 8+ it is also a bit different - you have to press and release the volume up button then the volume down button and then press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.

I have an iPhone 6+. I think for my phone it depends on what version software you are running. It used to be home button and the sleep/shutdowm button the right. Now all I get is Siri when I do that. You used to get and option to re-boot or power down your iPhone.

I have a 6S and I see Siri pop up when I do a reboot, as well. It doesn’t matter… just keep holding both buttons and it will reboot.

I have iOS 11.2.5 beta 1 installed and the bad news is the audio problem still exists. I’m on an iPhone X now but had same issues on my iPhone 7 Plus before this.

I reported the bug again to Apple and suggest everyone with this issue write to accessibility@apple.com.

I signed up to add I have the clicking issue like many have posted about and desIcribed here Bug #1: Clicking sound in Opn 1 while Bluetooth streaming phone calls / audio streams - Oticon - Hearing Tracker Feature / Bug Database. I have an iPhone X on 11.2.1 and am wearing a brand new set of OPN 1’s. I will send an email to Apple next, hope to find resolve soon.
R

I just want to say that if you experience issues with your HAs on the iPhone, just flip from the bottom up to get the shortcut? page (if that’s what you call it? I’m not sure what it’s called) then turn off Bluetooth for a few seconds and turn it back on and hopefully the issue will go away (at least for a while until it reappears next time around).

I’ve been able to use this approach successfully myself.

1 Like

You get to Control Center on an iPhone X by dragging your finger down from the right corner, or up from the bottom on iPhones with a home button.

The reason this works is that the clicking is caused by other devices using the same frequency and interfering with the signal. Turning Bluetooth on and off forces the phone to select a different frequency.

Jordan

2 Likes

Received this from my audiologist.

I received your e-mail and spoke with an Oticon representative to discuss your current issue with your hearing aids. The Oticon rep states that they are updating the firmware for the app (for Iphones) in January

As a new user I can only post 3 times in a single thread. I tried to delete a post without success. Here is what I have learned over the last few days in my own experience.

I am back and I was WRONG the issue absolutely is interference. I restored the phone to the current version 11.2.1 and started it new. I connected to the OPN 1 HA and it worked noticeably better without any of the clicking noises. 1 by 1 I installed apps and set up the device. I got to tile.app, signed in and connected to the nearby tiles and within minutes the clicking could be heard. Removed tile.app and the issue went away the moment all active BT connections were gone. I made several calls w/o issue and streamed 2 hours of music. I then paired the iWatch and again the moment another active BT connection was made the clicking like feedback returned. Again I removed the active BT device in this case by unpairing and in several more hours of calls and streaming its been working great. I am not sure what this means but the aids are being affected by other active connections sadly other MFG’s of BY hardware do not seem to be effected.

Is there a way a consumer like myself can be alerted when a new FW or software version is made available for the OPN 1 aid?

I am going to miss my watch :confused: headed to workout…

R

Yes, I’ve tried that with my Phonak Brio 2’s and the Compilot II. It seems to work most the time.

This is the technical explanation for @rick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Implementation
Bluetooth operates at frequencies between 2402 and 2480 MHz, or 2400 and 2483.5 MHz including guard bands 2 MHz wide at the bottom end and 3.5 MHz wide at the top.[15] This is in the globally unlicensed (but not unregulated) industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) 2.4 GHz short-range radio frequency band. Bluetooth uses a radio technology called frequency-hopping spread spectrum. Bluetooth divides transmitted data into packets, and transmits each packet on one of 79 designated Bluetooth channels. Each channel has a bandwidth of 1 MHz. It usually performs 800 hops per second, with Adaptive Frequency-Hopping (AFH) enabled.[15] Bluetooth low energy uses 2 MHz spacing, which accommodates 40 channels.

So low energy Bluetooth has 1/2 the channels which should result in potentially greater chance of interference.

I assumed that the clicking was only for MFi hearing aids, not the hearing aids that still need to use a streamer like your Phonak Brio 2s.

Thank you, that is helpful information. Wouldn’t it be cool if Apple acknowledged such.

My personal story: I abandoned MFI HAs for now, both sides of the equation (HA manufacturers and Apple) are woefully inadequate in responding to this problem. Seriously: “…a what, a clicking problem?” I can apply this quote accurately to Oticon, ReSound, Earlens and Apple.

Getting some new Signia Pure 312s in a week or so. Should I be optimistic?

Cheers.

I have Signia Pure 13 BT. In the beginning with earlier iOS I had lots of connection problems and ‘clicking’ on the phone. With iOS updates, the connection problems went away. I rarely have clicking and it doesn’t stay, for whatever reason. I sometimes swipe up to disconnect Bluetooth that that is rare. I’ve been MUCH happier with my HAs. I believe the updates made the difference.

Remember that BT and WiFi share frequencies and can cause cross band interference. If your WiFi router is locked to a band, you may improve things by changing bands. There are phone apps that display WiFi band use that may help.

Even the Phonak Roger System has problems with WiFi. My friend updated her Roger Pen to the 1.1 Pen and every time she turned the 1.1 Pen on, it stopped her WiFi from working. But with her old Pen, it didn’t stop her WiFi from working.

Sounds like the pen is defective. That should never happen.

I have an Apple Watch series 2 and it in connected all the time. No problem w/ clicking. I am running iOS 11.2.1. I have Signia Pure 13BT. I did have trouble at the beginning prior to iOS 11. I very seldom get clicking anymore. Occasionally, but either turn BT on and off or open battery compartment in the HA that is clicking.

Make that 4 manufacturers:

Now wearing Signia Pure 312 7Nx M HAs and running iOS 11.2.1 on iPhone 7.
Clicking sound persists.
Clicking sound occurring on 4 different brands of MFI HAs.

Cheers. Click. Click. Click.

Have you tried to restart the phone? (I have to ask :))

Delete HA on phone and pair them again?

Hope this helps

Best regards