Anyone experience hearing loss after Covid vaccination?

Not sure about the effects on hearing loss … but I was knocked out by my first dose of the Oxford vaccine … temp ramped up to 104F, very weird cough very deep in my chest, changed taste & smell, uncontrollable shaking from the fever.

Luckily all this wore off after 2 days.

I’m not looking forward to the second dose.

I have never had flu and have never got flu shots. I never get colds, maybe a little sniffle and that may be allergies. Because of my history I will not I will not take a vaccination. I will be 76 in less than a month. I am also pill free, thank God.

3 Likes

The people most affected by COVID-19 are usually well past reproductive age. If the people most affected by COVID were at or before their reproductive age, we could actually have evolution decide the outcome as to whether it’s better to get vaccinated or not. The people who make foolish decisions with regard to whether to get vaccinated or not, will most likely have already handed down their genes to future generations. C’est dommage. In such a “grading system,” the penalty would be very slight for a infectious disease that’s not terribly lethal (COVID-19?) but much more severe for a disease that’s really heavy-duty (SARS-1, MERS, Ebola, bubonic plague, etc.).

Edit_Update: I should add that one may be past the usual reproductive age but by not getting vaccinated, one still might prevent someone younger from reproducing or even contributing a full life to society (or privately enjoying their own full life!). So getting vaccinated or not is not just about “moi” (as Miss Piggy would say). It’s about everyone and maximizing everyone’s chances of escaping a very nasty readily transmissible infectious disease. A chain of infection is only as strong as its weakest link and getting people vaccinated breaks the chain of infection - since there are many possible people to link up to and continue the chain, the great majority of the population has to be vaccinated before a disease will die out for lack of people to infect. Remaining an infectible link helps to increase the chance of “passing it forward” in a bad way.

4 Likes

So one of the perks of getting older is being ineligible for a Darwin Award. I was past reproductive age before I started reproducing, so I’m not sure where I fit. Maybe some of the anti-vaxxers could take a wider societal view on this. They may be bulletproof but the person they infect may not be. Not the first time it’s been said but it probably bears repeating.

4 Likes

Maybe you should forgo the second dose? I had a minor reaction on numbness around my jaw from the Pfizer vaccine shot. After almost three weeks I can still feel the numbness, but it’s getting better. I contacted my primary doctor and was told not to get the second shot.
That was disappointing to me ,however, I have read that one shot can be up to 90+% affective over two to four weeks after the shot.
Even though I had a reaction , I would still encourage people to get the shots. I have had no hearing loss that I can tell.

Very eloquent commentary, in my opinion:

https://youtu.be/ZnbOKH9Oe9s

2 Likes

Hallelujah! Have the New Jab! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

How do you know that you didn’t just happen to get a toothache or tooth abscess that has nothing to do with the Pfizer shot? Some people have actually dropped dead at some point shortly after getting a vaccination (and so far, all such deaths have been ruled coincidental). With tens of millions of people getting vaccinated, most of them elderly folks right now or folks with serious medical conditions, there are going to be a large number of occurrences that coincide with a vaccination. Correlation is not causation. More rigorous investigation is usually required to prove that something that happens at the same time or close after something else is actually caused by the initial event. There are no lymph nodes located in the jaw itself but there are several on each side of the neck under the jaw. Lymph Nodes Under the Jaw – Explained | Journal of Natural Medicine Presumably, having receiving the shot in an arm, you might very well also find the lymph node under your armpit for the arm that was injected engorged compared to the non-injected arm. Rather than being dismayed by a swollen lymph node, you should be happy that your immune system is responding to the vaccine and presumably preparing very well to zap any COVID virus it sees in the future. But you might want to decide whether you just have swollen lymph nodes or a more serious dental problem that happen to start developing at the same time you got your shot.

If you’ve received the COVID-19 vaccine and later feel a new lump or tenderness under your arm, near your armpit or on your neck, you might be worried that you’ve found cancer.

Physicians are learning that the two COVID-19 vaccines currently in use can cause your lymph nodes to swell on the same side where you received the shot. This does not happen to everyone, as everyone is different.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) reports that 11.6 percent of vaccine recipients experienced swollen lymph nodes after one COVID-19 dose, and 16 percent after the second. Swelling typically appeared within two to four days after vaccination.

The lymph nodes should return to normal size anywhere from in a couple of weeks up to a month or two later, Dr. Marshall says.

If the swelling doesn’t go away in a couple months, talk with your doctor about getting the swelling evaluated.

“Wait a few weeks, and if there’s no change, then come in and we will evaluate it,” Dr. Marshall says.

Surprising Side Effect of COVID-19 Vaccine: Swollen Lymph Nodes | University Hospitals (uhhospitals.org)

CDC Statistics on Side Effects Below (Pfizer-BioNTech, then Moderna, vs, placebo):

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/reactogenicity.html

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/moderna/reactogenicity.html

1 Like

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. More specifically, the numbness occurred just below the lip in the chin area. I should have been more specific than just stating jaw.
My physician called it numb chin syndrome. Web searches define it as “Numb chin syndrome (NCS) is defined as reduced or absent sensation in an area of the chin and lower lip within the distribution of the mental or inferior alveolar nerves . The causes of NCS may be neoplastic, traumatic, dental, toxic, drug-induced, inflammatory, autoimmune or infectious.”
I made a report as recommended by my doctor for Vaccine Adverse Event Report at https://vaers.hhs.gov?, this web site is set up to help the government gather more data on side effects.
The numbness started about 25 minutes after the Pfizer shot. It did not get worst, but I felt I should contact my primary care physician. Cause and effect seem to closely related to rule other causes, i.e., dental, etc.

Weighing in with my own JAB’s worth: I got the Moderna Round 1 shot on 2/10. NO hearing issues AT ALL as a result. I was tender over the injection site for 24 hours, had a bit of a fever the 2nd morning, and then VOILA! Nothing more. I look forward to my 2nd shot on 3/10, and then cautious freedom - albeit with mask ON for quite a while.

I’ve never had a reaction to any vaccination with regards to my hearing, but I swear, taking Coricidan as a child on a few occasions KILLED my hearing big-time. Maybe I was allergic to the stuff, or since it was the 1970s, maybe the drug back then was TOXIC, but I so rue the day I took it for an ear infection at 14. It caused tinitus that’s been with me ever since.

I may be from Planet Mars, but I find my hearing is FAR more affected by changes in barometric pressure. I can tell a storm’s coming (or even summer weather!) about 2 days in advance thanks to my nagging ears. They go BONG! BONG! BONG-BONG-BONG! non-stop when the weather’s going to be better; and my hearing fades to black in one or both ears when it’s going to get colder or rainy.

1 Like

I was told this a long time ago: “Everything in life that is worth doing or having comes with risk, if you are afraid to take a risk then you are not a live anyway”

4 Likes

Since the vaccine is injected intramuscularly into the deltoid muscle of an arm, 25 minutes sounds like an awfully short time for a reaction to arise specifically in the jaw and not anywhere else (unless it were something along the lines of an acupuncture connection …). I’m not a physician but looking over articles on the syndrome the latter possible causes you cite are way down the list in differential diagnosis of what might be causing the syndrome - and you don’t report any inflammatory reactions elsewhere. You have to follow your physician’s educated and considered advice but since what little I’ve read says the condition can be a warning flag for a metastatic neoplasm, e.g., leukemia, if the condition has persisted, maybe it’s worth looking into further just to be sure you’re not writing off a warning sign for something else as being the result of your vaccine shot. I hope you’re right and that you feel good as new soon.

3 Likes

I have had both my 1st and second shots of the Moderna vaccine. After the first shot I had a slightly sore arm at the site of the injection (very mild) and the next day I felt a tiny bit “off” for part of the day but it was a very slight feeling. After the second shot the next day my arm was a bit sore at the injection site and I felt slightly ill (no fever or chills) but again it was quite mild and by the second day the sore arm was almost gone and I felt fine.

For both shots I did not detect any change whatsoever with my hearing or anything else for that matter.

2 Likes

The anaphylactic reaction is very rare. It happens to people who have had the reaction earlier, and they should have their EPI pens handy. If not the medical staff is prepared to handle it.

You probably have a bigger chance of dying if you drive to your appointment.

I seldom get sick. One mild 2-day cold every 15 years or so.

I’ve never had the flu or got a flu shot, but I got the COVID-19 vaccine.

Why?

If I catch the flu, I could get sick for a few days.

If I catch COVID-19 I could die. Even if I don’t die, and even if I get a mild or asymptomatic case, I could end up with permanent damage to my lungs, brain, kidneys, heart, liver or other major organ.

Since the risk of getting vaccinated is next to nothing, and the dire effect that are possible with COVID-19 can be extreme, for me getting vaccinated was a no-brainer.

Now when I go out on essential errands, and an uncivilized, mask-less person passes me, I am a lot more comfortable than I was before the vaccine.

3 Likes

Don’t underestimate the risk of the flu. Plenty of people die from it too.

6 Likes

Ditto… had the second shot (Moderna) and spent the better part of the day after in bed, very tired, aching, soreness and low fever. Two and a half days later felt fine. No effect on hearing loss that I can tell, maybe a slight increase in tinnitus volume, difficult to tell for sure.

2 Likes

No problems yet! My 2nd shot was Feb. 1. Have been seeing a AU Md. every 2 weeks. No known problem with shots.

2 Likes

I am 81, wife 79, we had our second Pfizer shots a week ago. We both wear hearing aids. Neither of us had any reaction to either shot including no loss of hearing or tinnitus. I was back at work in well less than an hour.

5 Likes

Backstory on “The Von Trapped Family” of ‘Have The New Jab!’ - ‘Hallelujah!’ fame.

The kids nixed Dad’s idea to do a spoof called “Oh, Corona!” derived from the title song from the musical “Oklahoma!” They’ve donated money they’ve received from virtual appearance on various TV shows to WHO’s pandemic efforts.

Von Trapped: The Family Is Stuck Inside, So Why Not Sing Parodies? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like

I had my second shot of the Moerna vaccination about 10 days ago. I had a mild flu like reaction the 5th and 6th days after the vaccination. Have not noticed any worsening of my profound hearing loss.