Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta

Welcome @jonathan.vogelgsang. You will be a hero of hearingtracker.com if you can confirm what jtoxx is saying. Have you read Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta?

At least Google itself advertised direct streaming on the I/o 2019. Have you tried Android Q beta yet?

No. I wish I had the Pixel 3 to test it. The post I linked to mentions a flag that needs to be set to enable hearing aid support. I was wondering whether you’d set it. Hopefully @jtoxx will be here shortly.

In Android Q beta 3 the feature flag menue is gone. However in beta 2 the flag was set but it didn’t work either. Hoping for jtoxx.

Between Beta2/3, I found that the “Feature flags” sub-menu (under Developer Options)
is no longer populated. Another difference, was that right/left aids are now shown in different colors (eg light green/light purple). Still not able to complete pairing.

Pixel Gen1, OPN1’s (~Aug-2016, Firmware 6.0))
Android version 10, Build Number QPP3.190494.015

Entered a bug-report last week. As it was pretty vague, I don’t expect a response.

That’s brilliant on Google’s part when the typical default colors to depict HA right/left are RED and BLUE! (maybe when they’re properly connected in the future, the colors will change to the “right” ones!?).

Going by memory, when trying to pair HA’s, we had a myriad of active
Bluetooth devices nearby, some of them BLE. (watches, roku remotes, etc).

The (pastel) coloring looked like a means to help further distinguish
between lines. (devices)

Pixel Gen1, updated from Beta2 to Beta3 a few days ago.
Decided to try a factory reset.

After the reset, we no longer see “Hearing Aids” in the Accessibility menu

This may be due to the lack of “Feature flags” under Developer options,
(eg: no way to set settings_bluetooth_hearing_aid, or
settings_audio_switcher, at 1st glance)

Or, perhaps Pixel Gen1 will never support BT/BLE hearing aids,
and the Accessibilty menu was changed to reflect that. (just a guess).

As of the third Android Q beta, feature flags
are no longer showing up. The menu for them is
still present in the Developers Options list,
but the list is now completely empty.

Interestingly, the list is still populated
and usable on a OnePlus 6T running Q Beta 3.

It could be because there’s a bug in the Pixel
build that’s preventing them from appearing,
or it could be that Google plans to
remove them but the other builds haven’t
caught up with their own yet.

We have heard about other differences
between Pixel Beta 3 and what other
phones are getting, so that could explain
it one way or the other.

Was reading Reddit and saw this post https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/bdqh9i/android_q_now_has_audio_balance_settings/. Does the Hearing Devices (as in this link https://i.imgur.com/6TqIC5z.png) not in the menu anymore.

Like @jonathan.vogelgsang, I too have a Pixel 3 running the latest version of Android Q beta, and I also have the Oticon Opn 1 hearing aids! I’m also seeing the same problem. I see the ‘Hearing Aid’ setting (in the 'Accessibility ’ tab) which says ‘No hearing aids connected’. When I tap on it a message tells me that I should tap my device on the next screen to pair my hearing aids, making sure that they are in pairing mode. However in the next screen. although my hearing aids show, nothing happens when I select them. By the way, they are already paired to the Oticon app. Coincidentally, I also have an LG TV with bluetooth, but I’m unable to connect to it. I would love to know how @jtoxx is pairing his. I keep trying every day. It’s driving me insane!!! :rofl:

What @jtoxx is saying he’s been able to do is use his phone as an a2dp sink. Bluetooth headphones and speakers are a2dp sinks as are Bluetooth audio receivers that pair with Bluetooth audio transmitters. If you Google, you’ll discover lots of posts over the years from people who want to use their phones as a2dp sinks but none from people who say they’ve actually been able to do it. I haven’t seen anything announcing this as a new feature in Android Q. So, has jtoxx stumbled on a major unannounced feature of Android Q? Come in jtoxx.

1 Like

Maybe of interest:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/132195989

last/most recent update, asof now (~29-May-2019 1633PT)

[…]

lk...@gmail.com <lk...@gmail.com> #6 May 29, 2019 02:20PM

None of the OPN hearing aids support ASHA. You can verify it yourself (with a BLE app like nRF Connect) that they don’t have the ASHA Service UUID: {0xFDF0}.
Why some user in the Hearing Tracker forum would postulate otherwise, I have no idea.

1 Like

Well that’s confirmed then, it’s simply not possible for direct streaming at this point.
Where’s the OP when you need them?

Thanks.

1 Like

I am not surprised. I am guessing OP is delusional or lying.

Cochlear (Nucleus 7) and Resound (Quattro) are working on the software update for ASHA support.

I doubt the 3d line is supported due to chipset changes. It says 3d but it should’ve said Quattro.

You never know for sure. Perhaps ReSound has a lot bigger existing market base to keep happy if the ENZO and LiNX 3D could somehow be included - it would be foolish of them not to, if it can be done.

I tried:
Android 10 (last Android Q beta) on a Pixel 3a. Using ‘Smart 3D’ app from Resound GN to manage my Linx Quattro HA’s. In the menu Settings/accessibility on the Pixel there is at the bottom ‘Hearing Aids’ When i turn of and on the Quatro’s they appear as two different colored GN. They can be connected. The GN software immediatly gives a warning that there can be interference and the HA’s should be disconnected. No sound is played from the Pixel to the HA’s.
I guess i have to wait until GN offers an update for the ‘Smart 3D’ app.

2 Likes

Audio direct streaming -as in Made for iPhone- does not need the app. Android Q has ASHA -Audio Streaming for Hearing Aid- support which means that Android itself is able to connect and control hearing aids with no need for a specific application from the HA manufacturer. So when the hearings aids have ASHA support you will be able to stream audio with your compatible Android Q smartphone.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Didn’t try that, The GN software immediatly gives a warning that there can be interference and the HA’s should be disconnected. I prefer using the connection for GN software and guess i have to wait until GN offers an update for the ‘Smart 3D’ expected in August.

1 Like

Hi, may I ask where you got the information from regarding the update in August?