Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta

I completed my analysis of the Pixel 1 and Pixel 2 source code: They have been using 2 config to support low and high power consumption bluetooth audio hal There is a config option to disable audio hal and do it the legacy way but that require rooting the device or running an engineering build of Android

1. (default) audio_policy_configuration.xml (this has no ASHA support, Lower power consumption on the phone) Using BluetoothAudio HAL
  2. audio_policy_configuration_bluetooth_legacy_hal.xml (this has ASHA support but higher power consumption) No BluetoothAudio HAL nor A2DP offload

Lets assume you are running an Engineering build of android

adb root
adb remount
adb shell mv /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration.xml /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration_old.xml
adb shell cp /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration_bluetooth_legacy_hal.xml /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration.xml
adb reboot

Background: I’m a Software Engineer with specialization in Android OS

3 Likes

Final System Update to Android 10 on the Pixel 3a, updates for the hearing aids and the Smart 3D app installed. GN support advised to add once again the hearingaids to the Smart 3D app.
Listening now to a podcast over my Lynx Quattro HA’s streamed directly from my phone! Extra functions in the app.
Happy :smile:

2 Likes

You are from europe?

Definitley unclear on what your post is saying. I think you’re saying that if one rooted a Pixel 2 and reconfigured to run legacy bluetooth that one might make it work, (but there it wold likely be glitches and it definitely wouldn’t be LE)

Secondly, since you’re a software engineer with Android experience, is there somewhere in the ASHA specs where it states what optional BT 5 features (if any) it needs? Specifically I’m talking: LE 2M, LE Coded and Extended Advertising (also if there is a minimum size for the Advertising)

Thanks!

@MDB Yes, that’s what i’m saying, i’m pretty sure the minimum requirement is bluetooth 4.2, not 5.0…
From ASHA specification…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I thought to, but then from this: GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA

there’s this quote near the end: Full streaming compatibility with Android devices requires minimum Android version 10 and Bluetooth 5.0 and that functionality has been enabled by the phone manufacturer and service carrier.

@MDB That means in engineering standpoint, they only had a bluetooth 5 chip on hand during prototyping, development and testing phase. In Android 10, most devices are using 5.0 chipset, it is simple to say 5.0 rather than a complex support matrix… 5.0 has less hardware and firmware bugs because each iteration of bluetooth hardware and firmware keep improving

2 Likes

Yes, the Netherlands.

Just updated to 10 with 3XL. Oticon Opn1s can be paired in the Accessibility menu and appear as connected devices on the settings screen when on and in range. But as expected there is no streaming support. Each aid is shown as paired with its MAC address. But the “connect” button does nothing; does not result in an “active” state. So I wonder if Oticon will update firmware for Opn1s to support streaming?

That is the $64,000 question that each of us has for our respective HA manufacturers. Are you listening, Signia?

Same here. Brand new Pixel 3 (purchased July 2019), new OPN 1 hearing aids (purchased Oct 2018), new update last night to Android Q/10. I’ve got both hearing aids paired and showing in my Android settings, I’m seeing them in my Oticon app, but no thrilling stream connect.
Hope this gets fixed as I was really looking forward to this freedom.

I updated my Pixel 3 XL to android 10 yesterday and has similar results. My Resound Quattro aids can show up as a Bluetooth device, but cannot connect to them. I reached out to resound customer support email and got the response from Resound “Now that Android 10 is officially released, ReSound is doing some final testing and the firmware update for the Quattro hearing aids will be release soon. We do not have an exact time or day.”

So for the Quattro, we are still waiting for a new firmware release before streaming is activated at the hearing aid device level.

3 Likes

Relative to getting Android 10 on one’s phone to be able to use MFA (along with needed support from HA OEM’s), The Verge has a great review today of why Android phones are so absymal about getting Android updates, including a graph of how few Android phones are updated and with what relative time lag.

1 Like

It’s possible … Check this out Starkey to get direct Android audio streaming?

1 Like

It’s not surprising they pair using the accessibility menu, because ASHA is BLE, which is what’s used by the Opn app. However, the HAs have to support the ASHA service, which they won’t until there is a firmware update. I sent my audiologist an email asking about this.

On the other hand, a post in one of the other threads states that Bluetooth 5 is required. I think the OPN range might pre-date Bluetooth 5. It amazes me that the hearing aid industry can’t get it together- or prefers not- to provide their customers with basic information about their products. Like… will your OPN 1 work with ASHA? Don’t they know? Don’t they care, because they’ve already sold you the OPN 1? They don’t think that we care? A bit of respect please.

2 Likes

@d_Wooluf
no you don’t need 5.0,
From ASHA specification…

implement a compliant BT 4.2 or higher controller. LE Secure Connections is highly recommended.
1 Like

I agree fully. It is amazing that we have to do so much “divining of tea leaves.” The manufacturers knew this was coming for some time. It doesn’t seem like that it would be that tough to give people a headsup like “these models will be supported” or “we’re working on a new model that will support this feature.” Same could be said of phone manufacturers as well.

1 Like

@AbramBaileyAuD Do you have somebody that you could contact to clarify whether BT5 is required or not? If you haven’t been following, original ASHA specs say BT4.2, but in the recent press announcement, it says 5.0. Thanks.

They would love for you to pay 300 dollars for bluetooth streamer device junk that mediate between your hearing aid and phone.

Android 10 support for ASHA is a threat to their big, fat profit margin.