Anybody using the new-ish Relate Hearing Aids (CIC) from United Health Care Hearing

New for 2021 insurance for hearing aids from UHC, their own label, “Relate” on Unitron made hearing aids… Anyone using them yet? I just had molds made yesterday to get a pair of the CIC model 10 (on the left in the photo). I’m going to be looking for a download for the Unitron 4.3.1 programming software if anyone has it.

Hello @kydave,

I would love to hear you experiences getting the Relate hearing aids and working with UHC. We are considering switching our medicare insurance to UHC for their hearing aid coverage.

1 Like

The process is a bit clunky. I set up the audiologist appointment through UHC Hearing. Saw him Thursday and had a test (last one was 5 or 6 years ago, but it turned out not much had changed). He did the molds. I signed the contract and he emailed it into UHC. Now I have to call them next week to confirm receipt of order, then pay the co-pay (these have a $575 each copay). Then they send the authorization to the audiologist who then puts in the order with the molds. It’ll be interesting to see how long the entire process takes and the user quality of the hearing aids. I don’t do it for a living any more, but I’m a musician. While anything will work for use during the work day in the office, I’m hoping these will be able to be adjusted to improve singing/guitar playing sound over what I have.

2 Likes

Hello Again. The new hearing aids arrived, with a bit of a cluster… It turns out Relate (the Unitron made brands new 2021 house brand for United Health Care Hearing), while virtually identical to comparable Unitron aids, has its own software. After a bit the audiologist got it on his computer and set up the hearing aids nicely for first pass.

Fortunately for me, the software is downloadable, it works with my Hi Pro, and after buy a set of connector cables I am able t to fine tune them and am getting them dialed in for live music performance.

Unfortunately, the audiologist determined that the custom molds are a little bit small, not as tight in my ear as he’d like to see, and is causing a bit of squealing occasionally.

Fortunately, they are in the trial period and he is sending them back to have new shells made.

They have 14 EQ bands, vs 12 on my past couple of brands. The potential is there for much better music playing/singing adjustment and have already made great headway.

The insurance co-pay was $575 each, so for under $1200 for the pair I am getting some pretty darn nice CIC hearing aids.

Relate CIC Specs.pdf (263.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much for the update. It sounds like the United Health Care process is worth it. As you indicated, $1,200 for a pair of CIC hearing aids is obviously a good price. I would love to know how it goes once you receive the new shells.

You’re welcome. I’d be curious for those in the know to look at the specs (see my post above) and see what comparable “name brand” hearing aids cost.

Check your PM, cheers

2022 Update:

Went in to get new pair of Relate hearing aids. The co-pay for UHC has almost doubled this year which sucks.
THEN what really sucks is that I was going to go to the half-shell this year. According to the specs, the half-shell / full-shell models have 2 mics as well as bluetooth.

After new molds sent in, Relate informs my audiologist that due to faceplate size vs the size of my concha, neither the 1/2 shell OR full shell will fit in the space available in my ear. WTF?!?!

I have pretty normal looking ears. From what the audiologist told me after talking with Relate (Phonak/Unitron), people need a huge concha to have enough room for the 2 mic/bluetooth faceplate required. No mention of this on their website, of course.

Anyone run into this issue with ITE aids of any brand?

I like these hearing aids well enough. They’re my first pair; however, with today’s technology, it seems negligent NOT to equip these hearing aids with noise-reduction.

Welcome aboard!

The Relate Hearing Aids I have do have noise reduction. What makes you think you don’t have it? What type and model are yours?

Dave

I actually gave up on the Relates. Was getting too much feedback on a RIC single HA. Probably more of a problem with the company that provided and supposedly adjusted it. Found the whole process with UHC very cumbersome. Ended up with a pair of Phonak Lumitys from a local practice. My particular UHC plan didn’t provide that much of a discount.