Any good hearing aid trade-in programs?

Hi :smile: ! New to the forum here, was wondering what does everyone do with their old hearing aids when they need an upgrade?

I was looking into some trade-in programs, looks all good on paper but not sure if it’s worth the effort?
Paid a lot of money at the time for mine and wanted to save a little bit for the upgrade :frowning: Does anyone know about a good trade-in program or just selling them/giving them away on ebay is the common way to go?

2 Likes

I always have at least one spare pair and preferably two spare pairs. I change relatively frequently but the older ones aren’t worth much, so I put them in a box in a cupboard and forget about them.

1 Like

i see, thought i might be able to get a bit more with the trade in, so wanted to know if anyone else has done it :grin:

I hardly hear about anybody trading in their hearing aids. If yours have custom molds and are not the receive in the canal type, but are the CIC type, you can probably forget about it. Hearing aids get obsolete quite fast and almost nobody wants an older model. Hearing care providers would rather sell new hearing aids to patients because that’s how they make their real money, in the juicy profit.

The only folks who are interested in older hearing aids are the DIY kinds who would buy from eBay. But only if your model is the previous generation of a brand new, recently released model. Otherwise, it’s probably easier to donate them to charities who can refitted them for the poor or something.

Most people just keep them as spares. I probably have about 3 or 4 sets of spares currently going back 20 years.

Has anyone donated their old ones? I now have an extra set, not counting primary & spare, so I was planning to donate to this charity, but haven’t gotten around to it yet: https://hearingthecall.org/

2 Likes

My VA Audi makes sure have a backup pair of aids in working condition.

1 Like

wow, thank you for sharing!! Just coming to realize that everybody actually keeps quite a few spares :smile: probably something I should pick up doing…

this’s really nice, thank you! I will look into this as well. I wonder if, like Volusiano said, what happens to the aids that are custom molded and can’t really be given away though… (pure curiosity)

In my area the Lion’s Club takes donated hearing aids.

1 Like

I buy all my new Resound hearing aids on EBay and sell my old hearing aids the same way. A top of the line new Resound One hearing aid model 961 can today be purchased on EBay for $2399 for a pair. This includes programming if you can send them a copy of your hearing test. Included is a 3 year warranty. The vendor is in Georgia. I have an audiologist who will service and program any hearing aid I bring him on a fee for service. A complete hearing test including REM costed me $160. A regular office visit is $40. There are audios around who now service hearing aids that they have not sold to the patient. Just call one and ask. Paying over $7,000 for “bundled” service is a thing of the past. Buy a discounted new hearing aid and have it fitted by an audiologist on a fee for service basis. That’s the way to go.

1 Like

I really hope hearing aids companies can do trade-in just like Apple did on their smart devices. Hearing aids are really expensive nowadays…

When talking about selling spared hearing aids on Ebay, I’ve always been worried that if I meet scam. So I do believe that an offical trade-in program from manufacturers would give me more confidence on trading my old hearing aids.

1 Like

Bro, love your profile photo lol. I am also a huge Star Wars fan, and Grogu is so cute OMG

1 Like

oh nice! (even though personally not a huge fan of starkey haha) mind me asking how does the trade in work? It was just all done through your audiologist (not online?)

1 Like