Any experience with Wholesale Hearing?

NHS gave me domes and when i sampled hearing aids in private audiologists, they have all used domes and the sound has been realy good. I might be wrong but with my loss only being high frequency and good in the low frequency, I only need domes.

2 Likes

We do REM.

We offer them in conjunction with our testing and fitting procedure.

I’m not sure how I’d price them independently of the other fitting elements as I’d need to do a full test to get the start point anyway and I’d be unwilling to accept a test done elsewhere tbh.

Normally we’d charge £200-250 per aid.

Issues:
The aid could get bricked or broken.
You might not like the resultant fit.
You might need further adjustments.

There’s also the possibility that they might not take kindly to you circumventing their ability to earn a margin to pay themselves. I’m not getting into the whole argument about this, but the kind of independent (nationals won’t touch you) who’s likely to be doing it is also getting squeezed at the moment by the rising cost of doing business.

1 Like

To throw a wrench into this…
Buying used aids off the Internet and self programming can be very satisfying and save’s a bunch of money.

3 Likes

Super power and ultra power aids are tuffer to find used.
Be patient.
I have had great luck with used aids.

The OP asked about a seller and I am giving options.

2 Likes

@BSingleton
I know Dr Cliff etc keep going on about REMS, but I seriously aren’t concerned about that. My private Audiologist didn’t do it, and he’s been brilliant. He listened, and understood my loss, but also understood my expectations, and programmed them accordingly. He said he had to fight against Phonak’s software, but he got there.

There is REM tests in Phonak’s Target software. He deliberately kept away from that.

Peter

1 Like

I’m watching a few of these (as backup against my UK NHS) and am wondering why you’re saying this?

My view was to get a backup pair of slimtips, get the right receivers, and self programme some cheap P50-90s.

Am I missing something?

Peter

2 Likes

It is more to do with rechargeable batteries, they don’t hold charge for long and I will have to send them for repair in case they die for good, this will cost more £££ down the road.
So, I prefer HA with disposable batteries.

2 Likes

@Baltazard
I’m entirely with you on that.

I have NHS Phonak’s from 2015, and they all still work. The older ones (Spice+ & Venture) will actually last 2 weeks with streaming via the Compilot II system on standard 13 batteries.

Not a chance with Marvel/Paradise. Still, the Paradise are great (hence my question).

I didn’t go for Lumity because of the ‘rechargeable only’ policy.

Thank you

Peter

2 Likes

I have made more enquiries about hearing aid prices in my local area (sorry if this is slightly off topic as the original OP wanted to know about Wholesale Hearing).

I have contacted 5 providers, including Hidden Hearing.

The only reply so far is Hidden Hearing, whose customer services department say they do not know the prices and I would be told the prices after a hearing test for the appropriate aids that I need.

Interesting but not very transparent. I know Hidden Hearing are Demnant. On their web site they don’t have prices and it’s hard to get any information about them.

4 Likes

What are they hiding???
Hidden hearing, well if you get Xceed it’s not going to be hidden, that HA is massive.

1 Like

Well, clearly their prices must be north of £4000.

The smugness of not releasing them tells the story.

3 Likes

Just had contact from Specsavers.

They do REM at my local store. This was unexpected.

They do the Lumity for £2800 and then charge £125 for custom receivers/moulds.

The white label Advance Elite I am told is the Advance 72 and is the Lumity. The Advance Elite is £2000. I thought the Advance Elite was the previous generation - Paradise - so this seems like a good deal! They also said that they will exchange for the actual Lumity if you wish within 100 days providing you pay the price difference.

Edit: One thing I didn’t mention and it’s not listed on the Specsavers website, is that they do the Phonak Naida Lumity (for the same price as the Audeo Lumity). Might be of interest to anybody in the severe/profound loss category.

3 Likes

Just found this thread as I am looking for fallback to my current KS10s (Phonak Paradise UP90) with custom earmolds. Costco very kindly agreed for me to have an extra set of custom earmolds at around £30 each (bargain compared to Specsavers/Boots £125).

I DIY program my KS10s, so Wholesale Hearing looks appealing. I am considering going for the Phonak Audeo Lumity L90-312 which also alleviates the issue of battery life on the rechargeable KS10. And the price is nice compared to Boots/Specsavers.

I am assuming the RIC in the custom shell that works with the KS10 will work with the Phonak Audeo Lumity L90-312 too.

@DaveUK

Yes, go for it.

My only concern is that Wholesale Hearing insist on a hearing test which includes the normal audiogram, but also a conductive test and that test that tests your tolerance.

You can to the latter in Target with your existing aids, but not the conductive.

Good luck

As it happens I have booked a review with Costco so they should be able to provide me with an updated audiogram and BC test. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I had a good experience buying Phonak Lumity 90s from FitHearing.com for around $3300 US, which was half the cost quoted to me by a local HAP - but twice as expensive as the Costco Rexton Reach I subsequently bought. (FitHearing had a good rep and good support policy, but I returned the Phonaks due to charging problems.)

I suggest that you phone Wholesale Hearing and discuss it all with them. They have to supply the aids set up you against a recent audiogram because that is a regulatory requirement in the UK. You can’t diy your own audiogram, because they won’t accept it, but it’s easy to get one free from Boots or Amplifon or Specsavers.

I found them very helpful and very fast to supply the set up aids. In my case I ordered a pair of Omnias on a Thursday and they ordered them from Resound on the Friday. The aids came in to them on Monday and they despatched them to me all setup late Monday. They were delivered to me by a courier on Tuesday morning.

They supply them to you with new receivers. I told them exactly what I wanted and they ordered those from Resound at the same time as the aids.

1 Like