Android vs ìPhone

Does one type connect better to HA’s in general.
I just switched this year to Android and I notice more connectivity glitches.
Much obliged, Max

Using Phonak Audéo and Zenfone8/Android13 here. Connections are automatic when both are on, never drop.

2 Likes

I wear Oticon Real HAs and use an iPhone. The most recent release of the Oticon app is very flakey, disconnecting for no reason and struggling to reconnect. Streaming music is marginal in quality, both right and left aids periodically drop out and reconnect 5-10 seconds later. Prior versions of the app were more stable (but still only fair in quality in my opinion).

2 Likes

I don’t think that there is a direct answer to your question. When I got my newest hearing aids a couple of months ago, my new (to me) audiologist told me that most of the brands of HAs that she works with are designed to connect with iPhone, but that Phonaks work better with Android. From what I have read from other users on this site, that seems to be a pretty accurate generality.

My previous aids, Oticons from 2013, required a separate device to connect to any phone. I found that thing to be a giant pain and quit using it almost immediately. Had to keep it charged, had to wear it around my neck like some kind of “rapper bling” to use it for phone calls because the mic for phone input was on the device. The only thing it was ever really useful for (to me) was changing the volume on the aids after the “up” button on my right side aid quit working.

I was completely fine with continuing to do without phone connectivity on my new aids because I really didn’t think I was missing out on anything.

I bought Phonaks based on the features they seemed to have - in my case the Oticon Real and the Phonak Audeo Lumity Life were the same cost - and basically let my audiologist bully me into installing the MyPhonak app on my Android phone once I got them.

I was shocked. It’s not perfect, and there are some behaviors that really annoy me. But I have them connected via bluetooth to my Android phone (Galaxy S23) and to my MacBook pro, and I use them daily for listening to music on airplanes, for phone calls - but only in quiet environments (the HA mics pick up everything in airports and restaurants & my wife says that it drowns my voice completely), and I use them for online meetings at work (Zoom, Teams, etc). They work great for that kind of thing.

My only real objection is that my days - from HAs in to HAs out is frequently 16-20 hours, which means that I need to find half an hour to put them in the charger at some point, or accept that I’m “going dark” for the last hour or two before bed.

5 Likes

I have the Real1 aids for Oticon and the Samsung galaxy S23 phone with no connectivity complaints, but I did have the iPhone 13 before and had a lot of connectivity issues. It all depends on how you need to use the connectivity to.

Streaming, and connectivity to the accessibility features of iPhone, are fine with my iPhone 13 Pro and Oticon Real 1 aids. The Companion app can take longer to connect than I think it should, but I don’t use it much.

It probably depends on which phone and which version of operating system you use. Apple owners tend to upgrade their iOS when Apple offers a new upgrade. So they are a bit more consistent for HA manufacturers to cater for. There are also made for iPhone hearing aids which offer some extra features such as “find my hearing aids”.
A lot of the decision depends on how attached you are to one type of phone or operating system including how many apps you have and use.
You should buy the hearing aids which meet your hearing needs. This is the most important aspect of hearing aids. How good you hear is the main thing.

1 Like

Android vs iPhone isn’t really a valid comparison.

iPhone is always an iPhone and it’s completely controlled by Apple.

Android phones are have countless manufacturers and models.

I have chosen the Google Pixel route and never looked back to Samsung. By going with a Pixel I get hearing aid integration as Google intended it.

I don’t have to worry about my carrier (Verizon) not implementing features and adding bloatware, or doing it poorly. I also don’t have to worry about the bloatware Samsung puts on a phone.

Narrow down your question to specifics models, then maybe someone can help you. Unfortunately, it’s pretty rare for someone to have more than one phone these days.

Maybe questions about Android Streaming for Hearing Aids (ASHA) vs. Made for iPhone MFI is in order.

3 Likes

I worked in software development of app on smartphones before I retired. It was always easier to ensure an app worked correctly on iPhones because Apple had a single operating system for iPhones, whereas with Android phones each phone manufacturer had a slightly different flavour of Android installed on their phones so unexpected glitches could occur in an app when it was installed on a manufacturer’s phones.
Our default practice was to test the Android version of our apps on Google and Samsung phones only to save time and $ cost.
HA manufacturers probably follow a similar approach for their Android apps.

2 Likes

I went to iphone in 2014 because of the MFi for my aids only. I left iPhone in 2023 because every IOS upgrade or update screwed up connectivity with my aids. I am now extremely happy with my Samsung S23.

2 Likes

No I don’t update my iPhone 13 when Apple brings out an update. I’m still on 16.5.4 and they are up to 17. 4

I have found iPhone 13 doesn’t complement my N8. BT is very unstable on 13, it cuts in and out. If I turn my head it cut out on phone conversations. I’m just waiting to see what iPhones are compatible with this new BT. I’ve heard it’s only 14 & 15. So I’m just waiting until that’s announced definitely.

I’m pretty close to doing this as like you say every iOS update or device upgrade seems to mess up connectivity with hearing aids. The whole mess with iPhone 15 Pro models was just ridiculous. It took three months and a lot of work with Apple engineers to resolve and it shouldn’t be like that.

I love the Apple ecosystem but was very disheartened after buying a £1k phone and having those issues, especially when it’s been many years down the line and these issues shouldn’t be occurring in the first place.

It appears the connectivity with Oticon Intent and certain Android devices is amazing compared to Apple so I’m slightly entertaining the idea of moving to Android….

That’s funny. I am also an Android user, and I use Pixel phones exclusively for the same reason. Other brands do not offer anything that makes them better, so I chose the Pixel to get instant updates and all the new cool Google stuff that comes out. What’s funny is that I got my 1st HA’s almost 2 years ago, Widex Moment 440, and the only phone their app Bluetooth was NOT compatible with was the Pixel 7! It would work with the other brands. However, when Android 13 beta was introduced (I usually run the beta) it was compatible. And now with my Pixel 8 it works fine.

2 Likes

I have had many different brands of android phones over the years and i prefer Samsung. But then again I haven’t tried the Google phones. Maybe next time i will.

I prefer them for a couple of reasons. One is I am dealing with pure Android as Google intended it. I don’t like to deal with overlay interfaces from the manufacturer of the phone forcing you to use over the top of Android. Also, I am not forced to use a manufacturer app because I can’t uninstall it, even when I know the Google app is better. The cost is usually a hundred or two less than the equivalent phone from another manufacturer. The main advantage is that I get updates for apps instantly from Google. I do not have to wait months for minor system updates, or in the case of full new versions of Android, the manufacture of the phone and the carrier it’s attached to may cause a wait of a year or so to get a full system update. I get it immediately. If you become a Google One member, you get another 10% discount on the phone if you get it directly through Google. Are their any specific things/features that you car about the most on your phones?

Samsung One UI is OK with me, but i do use the Google apps over the Samsung apps. I haven’t yet but I normally root my phone and remove unused apps that I normally cannot.

Ahh…I think that you would like a Google Pixel. If you remove apps, then you care about app bloat. None of that with the Pixel. And if you root your phone anyway, then just switch to the Pixel, get all updates immediately, and you’ll never have to root it. There is no need.

2 Likes

I do like the look of Pixel 8… have had iPhones for 14 years now but feel their connectivity over the years with hearing aid devices has worsened. I’m a Google One member, and use quite a lot of their apps so if I was going to swap to an Android device, it’ll be Google.

I’m in NYC in May so will visit the Google store to try out their Pixel 8 with my Oticon Intent hearing aids, if all goes well with the fitting and if I choose to keep them!

Cool. I hope you like it. Keep in mind if you buy it through the Google Play store, online, you save 10%. Perhaps if you buy it from them directly in the store as well, I’m not sure

1 Like

I have a Galaxy S21FE5G and had a bit of a problem getting things sorted. I use the app on my pc as well as on the phone. There was an update to an update which only appeared on the phone and then an issue with a muted mic. After that, both the phone and the app as well as the pc are all on the same page and perforing exactly as I wish. I have been surprised at how little battery time is used.