Android vs Apple operating systems for HA's

I’m too stubborn and cheap. I will never use an Apple product. :slight_smile:

The last iPhone I bought was cheaper than the Android phones, and it was a new phone not used or refurbished. Your reason goes doesn’t hold water

There has never been and never will be a new iphone for sale for ~$75 (yes CDN at Staples). I have plenty o’ water.

I am talking no more than a year from new build and name brands.

Please share what you paid for a new, current iphone (or prices you’ve seen). I paid about $477 (all-in) (CDN) for a Samsung last summer. Is that name brand enough for you? As we narrow the goal posts.

$350 for the IPhone SE2020 just after it was released in 2020, I bought it off of Apple’s online store, and after I returned my old iPhone it ended up costing me $235. I get a Veterans discount or don’t buy it.

More goal posts. What anybody can get it for. MSRP for example. I found $399 US for the base model. All of $600 in Canada. Yikes. For a mid-range phone.

Like I said I never pay full price. I get the discount or I don’t buy. To me it isn’t about asking price it is about what it am going to have out of my pocket. And it is also about how long will i be able to keep it updated. I haven’t ever seen an Android get up days past 30 months. Most iPhone will get up days for about 5 years. My iPad went almost 6 years before Apple stopped updating. And as Jim sad the IPhone 6s about 6 years. That is an investment not a throwaway consumable.

Well aren’t you the savvy shopper. Not everybody is. And good for you and your investment decisions.
I won’t own an Apple device. <-period Too expensive for what you get depending on features you want. Too much like being a part of a cult…much like Tesla. Too slick and widespread advertising that costs a fortune thereby forcing that high price.
But certainly and as always, we can all spend our hard earned money however we like.

There was a time I felt that way about Apple too. I have learned different. I use the iPhone and iPad but I don’t go running out as soon as something new comes along. Normally i am years behind the new stuff. I just love that it just works concept. I am retired and don’t want to have to troubleshoot every time an update comes along. I was an it professional and when I retired I took my dad’s advice and retired from the it profession all together. No more windows OS, no more Linux, and no more Android. My life has been so much better and stress free for it.

1 Like

Yes absolutely fair enough. And yet I too have been a computer guy for much of my working life.
My own 2009 HP laptop now on W10 requires very little troubleshooting. It just keeps on ticking. Come later 2025 it might have to be curtains for it.
I ran Blackberry phones for 6 years. Few troubles other than the death of OS10.
I then got a Samsung S7. Still works fine. Last year I got a Samsung A31. Works great. I spend little to no time fiddle farting around with them.
I don’t understand all the troubleshooting people have.
Certainly at work people would do silly things. Is that the fault of the OS or device? No.

Yikes! I thought we might be heading towards a 54-40 or Fight! situation here!

Actually, I came across an article yesterday on Windows vs. the Mac that might explain a bit what’s going on with Apple (long iPhone lifecycle) vs. Android (relatively shorter supported lifecycle). The gist of the argument for Windows vs. Apple PC’s is that Apple, being a closed ecosystem, by keeping you on their product assures itself of continuing to make money from its services and additional Apple products that you might buy to go with what you already have. Whereas with Windows and free upgrades and a weak consumer ecosystem tied to Microsoft (save for gaming, which, paradoxically, Microsoft is enabling everywhere, even on iOS and Mac OS), supporting older PC’s is “free work.” Why Windows 11 won’t run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS | ZDNet

So I think you can supply the same logic to smartphones and Apple vs. Android. The Android ecosystem is so dispersed, no particular phone manufacturer can make money from selling you services or additional products while doing the “free work” to maintain your old phone on the current OS years into the future. So the wonderful competition that gives us a wide choice of Android phones (compared to Apple) also spells doom on having a particular phone work years into the future on the latest Android OS. Android enthusiasts might say that phones are still changing rapidly enough that who wants to keep a phone six years into the future but it’s nice to have that choice to make rather than have a choice forced on you.

I might quibble over “forced.” :>) My daughter is still using my old Galaxy Grand Prime that is running Android 5.1 (Lollipop) She says it serves her purposes well (mainly texts and calls)
I think I’m still of the mindset that for both phones and hearing aids that it’s advantageous to replace fairly often and not buy high end stuff. I’m a bit different with computers. I tend to keep them longer but still go with relatively cheap equipment. Whatever works for the individual.

1 Like

I have to laugh at myself and my memory and this laptop I’m typing on. Call it repairs (common to all repairable things), call it troubleshooting (it’s dead…is that troubleshooting?..also common to repairable things) etc… over these 12 years I have in fact replaced the motherboard, keyboard, CPU heatsink, battery and HDD (with an SSD). The cpu and the case itself and the screen (and the other hangers on) are still original.
Being a computer guy it was more like…well…it’s time…ok then. Used or new or after market parts are still available and of course doing it all myself.
Gonna tell me none o’ that goes on with Apple products? I thought so.

The “forcing” comes when you want to download a particular app from an app store and the app that you desire no longer runs on the most current out-of-date OS that your old smartphone is still capable of running. I’ve had that happen quite a few times with my 2011 Galaxy Nexus, which still runs fine as an “iPod” and its 4 rotated batteries, preserved loosely wrapped in plastic bags in the frig door butter compartment, still have great capacity going on 10 years after purchase. Same for my 2008 Verizon Omnia Windows CE phone - still works great, batteries in decent shape and preserved the same way but what is it good for? With these phones I’m stuck close to 2008 and 2011. Whereas a 2015 iPhone 6S will be able to use many of the 2021-2022 iOS apps.

Good point. Neither my daughter nor myself are very into the latest apps.

Not sure if you were kidding regarding upgrading Apple products. I’ve never dealt with them, but my impression is that it’s nigh impossible to upgrade memory or an SSD, let alone something more major.

I don’t know about Apple products. Like I said…never owned one, never will. So it’s an assumption that surely one could at least repair/replace some components. Not upgrading per se. Although an SSD was nice to install although same form factor, same connector. But the other things were just replacement/repairs. It’s also a laptop…not a desktop where one could upgrade lots of things and keep the basics alive.
If not…then…my case remains rested over all these years. :slight_smile:
As for phones…well…they’re all barely fixable. Screens and batteries are about it.

1 Like

And how the Android app situation is going to get more complicated: Google Seems to Be Closing the Borders on Its Play Store (gizmodo.com)

That is interesting. Maybe it’s a shot across the M$ bow with the upcoming W11. I don’t think I mind Google having some sense of control over the wild west of apps. I’m not sure what all they might want to do but I should think they should sniff out any nefarious deeds going on in apps.
Still and all…Apple makes Apple devices for Apple OS’s and software. People can make apps.
Anybody can make a device that can run Android OS’s and software. People can make apps. So Google remains back at the OS level allowing all comers to make a compatible device and apps.

1 Like