Android vs Apple operating systems for HA's

I recently received new Signia Pure 13 BT Primax ha’s. I was unable to pair them with my Samsung phone. I took them back to my provider, she wasn’t able to pair them either, called factory support and was told I would either need a ‘phone clip’ or a newer version of Signia HA’s.
The new aids should arrive in a few days and I won’t need a phone clip to use them.
My question is, would I be better off changing to an iphone? I understand I would not need a phone clip or a streamer to operate Bluetooth devices with the new iphones. Is that correct? I especially want to connect to my laptop (not Apple at this time) and possibly other devices.
I hate to spend $1,000 on a new phone just to make Bluetooth phone calls easier and eliminate the phone clip.
I’ve been wearing ha’s for 30 years but, have not kept up with the latest happenings in the industry. I know Apple has been very active in the Bluetooth sig and apparently is now dominating Bluetooth.
Thanks in advance.

The iPhone will stream sounds, that are generated on the iphone, to the hearing aid. I think, but I’m not sure, you could stream sounds from an Apple tablet. For Android tablets, windows tablets and laptops, Google Chrome laptops, or generic Bluetooth transmitters (sound system, tv, etc.) you will need the device. The iPhone does not take the place of the Bluetooth device.

I also use mine to connect my office phone. I would not be without the Bluetooth device.

Also, the new hearing aids will talk to Android phones, for the operation of the app, which is to make control selections and adjustments to the sound (volume, bass/treble). The Nx hearing aids cannot stream from Android devices. You will need the Signia Streamline Mic.

My replies are repetetive but here is it again anyway.

I gave up on my Audibel hearing aids and my audiologist when my doctor said I needed a smartphone. I bought an Android phone and Sound World Solution Companion hearing aids. The phone and my Windows computer connect perfectly to my hearing aids without the need for any other device. The Surface Pro and Alead Mic connect to my left hearing aid and my phone connects to my right hearing aid.

Currently, there is a trade off between the perfect hearing aid, cost, and one that works well with Bluetooth devices. Mine may not be perfect but they satisfy the last two criteria. It also satisfies my aversion to anything Apple. I have never tried an Apple computer or device of any kind because I think they are overpriced.

2 Likes

No apologies necessary there member6. New arrivals will read your “repetitive” posts as new.
You’re having your own great success with your devices and that’s all that matters. I continue to keep my eye out for devices with actual stereo and any btle phone connectivity.
Your doctor saying you needed a smartphone was actually saying that you needed an iphone. Your Android is a smartphone too.
I’m with you on the Apple front. Over-priced and proprietary. No thanks. The rest of us are waiting for the roll-outs of Android btle and followed up with HA’s to work with them.

Are you trying to pair the aids with your phone to stream bluetooth or to use an app on your smartphone to control the aids?

I think the hearing aids for phone use will only pair with a I phone

Thanks to all for your input. First, for starters I want to pair my ha’s with my phone so I can use my phone without a phone clip or putting my calls on speaker phone to use it. Second, I am also anti-anything-apple or AAA!!! My wife has an iPhone and was caught up in the lowering power deal to make the spec look better ie, battery life. I was shocked when apple came out with an apology and offered a new battery for only $80!!! NO WAY, I told her that is a double screwing of their customers. And of course, Apple got caught again and lowered the battery replacement price…still too high but, more reasonable.
AAA forever!

Android streaming to HA’s is supposed to be included in the next version of Android (9).
I am an Android Beta tester and the latest beta build has the codex but it is not implemented. The full consumer version should be available in August or September. Looking forward.

2 Likes

OK, if I understand correctly, you want to stream calls directly to your non Apple Smart Phone without using an intermediary device. If I’m understanding correctly, the ONLY hearing aids that will do that are the Phonak Audeo B Direct and it’s Unitron and Costco Brio 3 relatives. The Signia NX you mentioned will still need the phone clip to stream calls to an Android phone. With the right Android phone you can pair the Signia NX with an app that lets you control the hearing aids, but it won’t let you stream calls. This whole phone/hearing aid compatability thing is very confusing. Oh, and to be thorough, there is a PSAP by Sound World Solutions that allows Bluetooth Streaming to any bluetooth phone that one forum member is very pleased with.

Wait what! Oh there’s a disclaimer. If I’m understanding correctly I don’t think the Brio 3 can do the same thing as the B-Direct/Unitron.

There might be some fine differences, but there is now a Direct version of the Brio 3, called the Brio 3 R C (c is for connect) See this discussion. Costco Phonak Brio 3 (Product Information)

Oh well howdy’bout that! Thanks for enlightening me. Interesting. Apparently I don’t read all threads.

Having gone through the same decision, I think switching to iPhone is a no-brainer for a hearing aid user with MFi aids, unless it’s unaffordable. So what if you’ll have to eat your past words about “anti anything Apple”? I have two adult kids who’ve had iPhones for years. When I told them I was getting hearing aids, and consequently switching to an iPhone, they didn’t care much about the hearing aids, but boy were they excited and a little triumphant about the iPhone.

As for the Apple battery thing, batteries go bad on all phones. At least Apple provides a reliable service for replacing them, at a price that I don’t think is exorbitant.

3 Likes

I’m not a big Apple fan either, but the bottom line is that they did the work to come up with a viable solution for hearing aid users, and Android hasn’t.

2 Likes

I have also avoided Apple phones, tablets etc until now, except their MacBookAir where I use with Windows 7 (Boot Camp) rather than the iOs.

I have been using two hearing aids, Resound Enzo 3D and Costco’s KS8. To simplify using my hearing aids I bought an iPod touch (V 6.0) which works very well with both the hearing aids using BT. I have a Voip phone (Magic Jack) installed on the iPod and telephone conversations are very easy.

I have several Android devices including Galaxy S8 which has a cellphone installed on it. To use the cellphone on S8 I bought a Phone clip + ($180) to work with the Resound Enzo, again telephone conversations pose no problem. However, I would need another device (Smart Mic) similar to the Phone Clip to use the S8 cellphone with my KS 8 hearing aids, costing $200 or more.

After taking into account cost and ease of use I finally decided to accept the superiority of iPhone for use the MFI hearing aids, which is a win for the efficient BT technology Apple developed for such applications.

Rather than buy an unlocked second hand iPhone (refurbished or not) which are generally found unsatisfactory by many buyers at Amazon I decided to buy a new iPhone 6S from ebay. For 16/32 Gb storage the cost is around $300 (about $200 less than what Apple charges at their website) which is not much more than that for a Smart Mic. I will need only this iPhone 6S with either of my hearing aids if I cannot use the WiFi based Voip, at home or out.

Cheers.

1 Like

I have always given kudos to Apple for developing a solution but

is still proprietary to them only.
I will continue to hope that the Android solution comes and that the HA manufacturers adopt it too.
Standardized btle to connect to any compatible bluetooth device…not just the proprietary intermediate devices.

If you deicide you would like to switch to an iPhone but you feel it is cost prohibitive, there are iPhones that are relatively inexpensive. I have an iPhone SE which was less than $200. However it is a small screen which maybe a turnoff for you.

1 Like

Which hearing aid do you use. I heard rumors that latest Resounds aren’t compatible with SE anymore. Their webpage shows compatibility with 5 and higher.

ReSound sent out a notification earlier this week that iOS 11.4.1 resolves the iPhone SE compatibility issues where users were unable to connect to their MFi hearing instruments to stream audio or utilize the ReSound app.

2 Likes