Android vs Apple operating systems for HA's

I am an Apple guy, have been since their beginnings. I have Oticon OPN 1s and love the streaming sound quality direct to myHA’s. Far better sound than my prior Resound aids.
For those Apple haters, give them credit for making revolutionary product that has changed the world. Every smart phone looks and feels like an iPhone, Remember what phones were like before that.

2 Likes

BlackBerry invented the smart phone, a combination of phone and pda. The logical progression of the BlackBerry would be to stretch the screen size and make the keyboard part of the screen, which all the manufacturers did.

It would be nice if we could keep this topic on track. It’s about how HA interact with Android and Apple devices. Not a general smartphone debate…

Sorry if I’m totally out of line saying this. It is not with any ill intend, or to make anyone unhappy.

1 Like

Perhaps your logical progression, but not Blackberry’s. Their view was that all phones needed to have a physical keyboard. Look it up.
Any way, the screen size and keyboard are not what made the difference - give credit were credit is due.
The marketplace confirms it. BlackBerry, the market leader in product and revenue, couldn’t compete.
All smartphones look alike (guess why).

The main guys of Blackberry at the time also thought this iphone thingy would be a passing fad. Then they finally came to the conclusion that it wasn’t. Then they were too little too late. I still run the flagship device of that too little too late era…the Z30. (I used to have a Z10 thus my pseudonym).
Sadly it all collapsed after that. My phone is slowly getting outdated particularly on some web sites but it still does what I need it to do.

To the Apple fanboys…um…Android kills all in mobile market share. And I’m no fanboy. Just anti-Apple :slight_smile:
Yes agreed kudos as always to Apple for making something work for hearing aids.

1 Like

I think you made a wise choice. I’ve had 6S for several years and it handles my Oticon OPNs flawlessly including streaming.

1 Like

Blithely ignoring warnings about how old this thread is, I just discovered that Apple will support the iPhone 6S, a SIX YEAR OLD phone, with the forthcoming iOS 15. If Apple continues that degree of support through the next few years for still slightly newer versions of the iPhone, that will really stick it to Google and company where you can pay the same sort of prices (at least with Samsung, Google has given up pricing its Pixel phones as premium devices) for a phone that will soon be obsolete in just a few short years. The immediate payoff for me is that it gives me at least another year to wait for Bluetooth LE Audio to show up in (hopefully, at the very least) the iPhone 14, if not the iPhone 13. See under Availability at bottom of press release on iOS 15. iOS 15 brings powerful new features to stay connected, focus, explore, and more - Apple

1 Like

This country s he very reason I walked away from Android phones

I’m too stubborn and cheap. I will never use an Apple product. :slight_smile:

The last iPhone I bought was cheaper than the Android phones, and it was a new phone not used or refurbished. Your reason goes doesn’t hold water

There has never been and never will be a new iphone for sale for ~$75 (yes CDN at Staples). I have plenty o’ water.

I am talking no more than a year from new build and name brands.

Please share what you paid for a new, current iphone (or prices you’ve seen). I paid about $477 (all-in) (CDN) for a Samsung last summer. Is that name brand enough for you? As we narrow the goal posts.

$350 for the IPhone SE2020 just after it was released in 2020, I bought it off of Apple’s online store, and after I returned my old iPhone it ended up costing me $235. I get a Veterans discount or don’t buy it.

More goal posts. What anybody can get it for. MSRP for example. I found $399 US for the base model. All of $600 in Canada. Yikes. For a mid-range phone.

Like I said I never pay full price. I get the discount or I don’t buy. To me it isn’t about asking price it is about what it am going to have out of my pocket. And it is also about how long will i be able to keep it updated. I haven’t ever seen an Android get up days past 30 months. Most iPhone will get up days for about 5 years. My iPad went almost 6 years before Apple stopped updating. And as Jim sad the IPhone 6s about 6 years. That is an investment not a throwaway consumable.

Well aren’t you the savvy shopper. Not everybody is. And good for you and your investment decisions.
I won’t own an Apple device. <-period Too expensive for what you get depending on features you want. Too much like being a part of a cult…much like Tesla. Too slick and widespread advertising that costs a fortune thereby forcing that high price.
But certainly and as always, we can all spend our hard earned money however we like.

There was a time I felt that way about Apple too. I have learned different. I use the iPhone and iPad but I don’t go running out as soon as something new comes along. Normally i am years behind the new stuff. I just love that it just works concept. I am retired and don’t want to have to troubleshoot every time an update comes along. I was an it professional and when I retired I took my dad’s advice and retired from the it profession all together. No more windows OS, no more Linux, and no more Android. My life has been so much better and stress free for it.

1 Like

Yes absolutely fair enough. And yet I too have been a computer guy for much of my working life.
My own 2009 HP laptop now on W10 requires very little troubleshooting. It just keeps on ticking. Come later 2025 it might have to be curtains for it.
I ran Blackberry phones for 6 years. Few troubles other than the death of OS10.
I then got a Samsung S7. Still works fine. Last year I got a Samsung A31. Works great. I spend little to no time fiddle farting around with them.
I don’t understand all the troubleshooting people have.
Certainly at work people would do silly things. Is that the fault of the OS or device? No.

Yikes! I thought we might be heading towards a 54-40 or Fight! situation here!

Actually, I came across an article yesterday on Windows vs. the Mac that might explain a bit what’s going on with Apple (long iPhone lifecycle) vs. Android (relatively shorter supported lifecycle). The gist of the argument for Windows vs. Apple PC’s is that Apple, being a closed ecosystem, by keeping you on their product assures itself of continuing to make money from its services and additional Apple products that you might buy to go with what you already have. Whereas with Windows and free upgrades and a weak consumer ecosystem tied to Microsoft (save for gaming, which, paradoxically, Microsoft is enabling everywhere, even on iOS and Mac OS), supporting older PC’s is “free work.” Why Windows 11 won’t run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS | ZDNet

So I think you can supply the same logic to smartphones and Apple vs. Android. The Android ecosystem is so dispersed, no particular phone manufacturer can make money from selling you services or additional products while doing the “free work” to maintain your old phone on the current OS years into the future. So the wonderful competition that gives us a wide choice of Android phones (compared to Apple) also spells doom on having a particular phone work years into the future on the latest Android OS. Android enthusiasts might say that phones are still changing rapidly enough that who wants to keep a phone six years into the future but it’s nice to have that choice to make rather than have a choice forced on you.