Android 14 and Kirkland Hearing Aids - Bluetooth Difficuties?

I have Kirkland SIgnature 10 and Kirkland SIgnature 9 as backups. Both work great, but after I updated my Android phone (Pixel 7) to 14, they no longer want to fully connect via BT to my phone. I’ve tried both the Esay Line and My Phonak apps with the same result. I always use fresh batteries or a full charge when trying to connect. Here’s what happens: The apps will “see” the hearing aids, but will fail to connect to the left aid (both apps, both styles of aids). The right side will just display a spinning wheel until I give up after a few minutes.
I will be taking the KS 10s to Costco to make sure there is nothing wrong with them, but it seems to me all signs point to the recent Android 14c release. I was wondering if anyone else has or is running into a similar issue.

Have you tried removing any old pairings? Basically I’d try to start as fresh as possible. It’s quite possible there’s some glitch with Android 14. You do realize that the phone pairing for streaming is typically the right aid only using Classic BT and the app uses both aids with LE Bluetooth?

2 Likes

To add to MDB’s post I would remove both the Easyline and MyPhoak apps from the phone. Then boot the phone.
Then reinstall probably the Easyline app and start from there.

Good luck.
You have the phone I would probably go to next. The pixel 3 has been great.

1 Like

My KS 10’s have worked great for 2 1/2 years. I had a Pixel 5a and a few months ago, bought a Pixel 7a which is running Android 13. About two months ago, I started getting tones in both ear pieces. Sometimes, 25-30 times a day. It’s the tone’s you get when you walk a distance from your phone and the Bluetooth disconnects and then the tones happen again when the system reconnects when you get back in range.

My wife’s Phillips 9030, purchased in Jan. 2023, have been great as she uses her Pixel 5a’s (running Android 13) connection to her hearing aids when ever she talks on the phone. In the last month, she’s been having one hearing aid turning off, then the other and then both and has to use the speaker phone. Android had a update on Sept. 5, 2023. I suspect that Android updates from Google are the source of the problem for both of our hearing aid problems.

I did contact Google about the problem but, after three weeks, have not heard anything.

And, yes, I uninstalled/reinstalled the apps from the play store many times (and am getting really fast at re-pairing our hearing aids).

On Monday, I think I’ll mail them back to my “local” Costco (a 2 1/2 hour drive from our house) and let them sort things out.

Costco reset my let aid as it wasn’t responding to button pushes. Thankfully nothing else was wrong so they didn’t need to be sent away. I pulled the apps of my phone, reinstalled them with a cold reboot in between and now everything is happy again.

1 Like

Do you have the “always connected” option turned on in the app? Mine do the same thing since I turned on that feature. You could either turn it off or see if Costco can turn the sound notification off via a remote appointment and save the drive.

2 Likes

Yes! Reinstalling the apps and turning the phone off and on fixed the BT issue. Costco alos had to reste the left aid so that it would respond to button pushes on the aid itself. It seems I have few few issues happen coincidentally which made it seem like a bigger issue with 14.

1 Like

Bingo!! I turned the always on option off and haven’t heard a peep since!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I realize now that the problem started around the time I changed the program.

Interesting.

My Pixel 4a5g just updated to Android 14, and my Phonak Bolero m90 rechargeable aids are still working perfectly. Absolutely no issues. In November I will be getting my last security update, and might need to upgrade to the Pixel 8 series. I really hate to do that because the Pixel 4a5g has been so totally reliable and trouble free. It’s the best phone I have ever owned.

On my Pixel 7 the Android 14 upgrade was seamless with Starkey Evolv.

Later today, I’ll receive a Pixel 8. I’ll report back later.

I would be interested in your experience with the Pixle 8, because I also need to replace my wife’s pixle 4a along with my Pixel 4a5g. The 5x optical zoom telephoto lens on the 8 pro has caught my attention in a big way. It could replace most of my conventional cameras.

It was seamless. Not sure why it was so easy Android 14 to Android 14, Pixel 7 to Pixel 8, or a combo of both.

The Pixel 8 had everything setup exactly as my Pixel 7 was. Icons on the screens, folders of icons, authenticators had their accounts, wifi was setup and connected. It was crazy easy and took about 1.5 hours.

Activation of the phone with Verizon was a peice of cake.

My experience was the same. I ordered Pixle 8 phones for my wife and I off the Google Fi website and just set them up. Coming from the 4a & 4a5g, it was so easy to transfer everything to our new Pixle 8’s.

Setting up my Phonak Bolero m90 aids was no sweat, and according to folks I have talked to, the calls sound natural on both ends.

If our older Pixels had not reached the end of their security updates, we would have kept them, but the Pixle 8 phones are guaranteed 7 years of system and security updates, and I have to say the camera in the Pixel 8 is fantastic. Even better than the 4a series, and I was really pleased with them.

1 Like

I finally was able to get full functionality of my KS 10’s with my new Pixel 7a with Android 14. I spent a day puzzling over Easy Line’s inability to link to the LH aid and its failure to report battery levels and provide any control over HA response. My problem was that I had left ON the BT links of the old phone nearby, an Android 10 Moto E(2020). Once delinked from the old, Easy Line worked fine on the Pixel 7a.

I write this in response to the reports by others that only the RH aid was visible to Easy Line on other Pixel phones in the 7 series, and replies by others not to worry, because the RH aid was the active one in receiving stereo. Perhaps their problem was their old phone nearby grabbing the signal.

2 Likes