Amplifon + Audiologist Problems

Reginald, oh, wow, I had been interested in Oticons; it seemed like they would be a good choice for musicians and music lovers like us. I’ll have to try out the various options in the store. Of course, that is a limited experience, but it would be something to start with.

Do you like the Phillips over the Jabra? Or maybe that wasn’t offered when you bought yours.

I have no experience with Philip’s offerings whatsoever. When I was picking my HAs I was testing Resound/Jabra against Rexton/Signia. Weighting multitude of factors which are going to be different for you. It was a bit over a year ago, new generations came out in meantime and things have changed a little.

Personally I would focus on Jabras, being the newest and most feature rich, second being Phillips. Rextons are waiting to be updated to the latest tech that was introduced in Signias recently and I wouldn’t get them for that reason, at the moment.

New York City publishes a list of places with Telecoil (hearing loops) installed
You can look at the list of local venues with hearing loops
https://www.nyc.gov/site/mopd/resources/deaf-hard-of-hearing.page

Yes, I am most interested in the Jabras, they seem the most up to date and feature-rich. I think that they cannot come with a t-coil (not sure), but people are saying that I really won’t need it.

ronshere,

Wow, what a great resource, thank you! That’s what I thought, much of NYC has t-coil installations. But I am not sure that the Jabras at Costco can get a t-coil (don’t think so)l. And so many people are saying that I won’t need it. And that it blocks out hearing people around me.

Do you use a t-coil? If so, is it really helpful for you in NYC?

So the new update is that Amplifon will not cover the Nexia, according to the audi office, and they also will not pay the audi more for service. So I’m going in Friday to return the aids my husband received and to initiate a refund on what I paid for his in-network deductible of $500.

Next stop Costco, which really rocks!! Except that it is an hour away by subway and bus, or car with problematic parking on either end. And it would be a minimum of two in-person visits. But Costco by far and away is the best for top of the line aids with excellent service and insurance coverage.

I have you guys to thank for your help in finding all of this out. Your help is invaluable. Nothing beats experience!

The Costco Hearing Center nearest us is booked up into March, or even April! But I could try another one, as there are now a few, all about an hour away.

Fist thing though, I have to pick Medicare plans for myself and my husband so he can retire before he drops!! In the meantime, I can set up appointments for us.

1 Like

Ha, yeah good idea! You guys deserve better hearing like the rest of us, I’m sure you’ll get a better deal/service now.

1 Like

I forgot that t-coil blocks the environment, also the quality would disappoint you most likely, you’re better off with properly fitted HAs.
That being said you can still use t-coil even with Jabras which don’t have it, using this device from Resound (works with Jabras too) which connects to your HAs. https://www.resound.com/en-us/hearing-aids/accessories/multi-mic

1 Like

Ah, yes, I saw the reference to that device. People who’ve said I probably won’t need a t-coil may be right. But if not, I could get that device. That’s a thought that I may not be happy with the sound quality of a t-coil.

Both of us are exquisitely sensitive to good sound due to him being a musician, and me a former dancer and total music lover. And we’re used to top quality musicians. NYC is loaded with top quality music. We’re extraordinarily fortunate to live with such bounty.

I do look forward to better hearing with the aids, knowing that it will not be the same as natural hearing, however. But is sounds as if the current aids are fabulous engineering wonders.

Whoever came up with the Costco hearing aid model really did a great thing. Having well-trained non-commissioned dispensers is ideal.

1 Like

Yes, all thanks to the help of you guys! Unfortunately, I have had a string of bad audiologist experiences over the years that discouraged me from following through. Plus, many health issues to distract me from trying again. It’s appalling how bad my hearing has been for many years. Well, onward and upward with what sounds like amazing technology now.

I’m preaching to the choir, but the private, or insurance based, audiology market is quite broken. And Costco fixes that, if one is anywhere near one.

PS Both of my brothers have had hearing aids for years, and they are 5 & 6 years younger (yeah bad family history of hearing problems on my mother’s side). They have gotten multiple pairs at Costco. Previous to coming to hearing tracker, I thought that the quality of the Costco aids was not premium. I’m glad to know that’s not true…

It takes some getting used to and some tuning but yes, they can sound quite natural nowadays. Make sure to mention that you’re both musicians, they will have to limit the compression significantly, especially for your husband.

Thank you, that’s good to know Reginald.