Am I unprofessional because of the colour of my hearing aids?!

Thank you Gareth…. Perhaps, in the not too distant future, like glasses did, hearing aids might evolve into a fashion statement, with all kinds of ear gear add ons…… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

I know I’m coming into this subject. Originally I think the idea of colored aids was for them to blend in and not be noticed. People felt embarrassed to be seen wearing aids. Times have changed and colored aids have become more of a fashion statement. For me with my hearing I have found its more to my advantage if the aids can be seen . I think I would be insulted if someone implied that the color of my aids didn’t look professional. I’m wearing them for a reason. If anything I think people with normal hearing need to be constantly reminded that a person is hearing impaired because just telling them doesn’t sink in. Wear whatever color you want

5 Likes

This statement is very accurate, I find, and even applies to my forbearing and considerate wife!

1 Like

the discussion is very helpful. i hope one day i will cochlear implants.

One thing about the implants . They’re hard to miss unless you have long hair

Before I trained as a nurse and then a therapist, I spent 13 years working in an investment bank and that’s as suited and booted as you get really. Rule of thumb there was dress to impress to get in, once you have the job you can ease your way into finding more ways to be you over a bit of time.

Performance breeds respect and with respect comes latitude.

But, making comment on someone’s hearing aids in a job interview is, in my non-important opinion, a bit of a dick move frankly. If th interview stinks, you can be sure the million minutes you spend there if you get the role will do too. Interviews are about the company selling the job to you as well as you selling yourself to them.

Here in the UK, I’m pretty certain you’d have a cast iron discrimination case against an employer if they made a decision against you due to HA colour etc. You’d need to stand up and fight but you’d win.

4 Likes

How would you know that was the reason and how would you prove it

I’ve worn aids for two decades plus, both in the ear and RIC models, and all have been some version of beige. I wanted something difference with my Costco Jabra aids, and settled on bronze after looking at dummy models of all the available colors. I like them.

1 Like

Sorry that I contradict another time. My experience is that most people don’t realize my big devices behind my ears although I’ve pimped them with the great help of @Zebras . If I could have decide the colour of the case for myself I would have gone for dark red or petrol.

6 Likes

Looks good on you :slight_smile: I’ve got a petrol hearing aid. That’s the only colour apart from beige that my hospital offered. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry but that doesn’t look like a real picture

1 Like

Wow. All these years people were dealing with discrimination over the color of their skin now it’s the color of their hearing aids. A lot of people out there need to get a life

3 Likes

Oh yes of course this is absolutely fake. :roll_eyes:

(For all the others here on the forum: No of course it’s not fake. It’s my real head wearing Med-EL’s EarHook attachted to the case of AudioStream attached to Sonnet 2. The cable to the coil is pimped by myself using a shortened metalic black USB-cable protector).

6 Likes

Sing it to them Chuck. Dress makes zero difference to job performance. Many companies understand this and dress codes reflect it. Some of the big Corps don’t get it…
addendum:
I’m also a Texas. Jeans - yes. Hat and boots, not so much…already 6’5". I would be about 7 feet tall with all that extra gear…but…you rock it for us all…
best wishes
Dan

2 Likes

Can you imagine that a person that has to wear hearing aids in order to get by now has to worry that the aids look unprofessional. Are people that use a cane told their cane is the wrong color

3 Likes

I just ordered fire engine red earmolds. Probably the next HAs I get, I’ll decorate to match. I’d look lit up like a landing aircraft if I could do it. It’s good the HA companies are into boring beige and neutrals. They rescue me from myself.

@cohen: I love this choice of words, Barb! :joy:

OK SpudGunner, I will come clean here. I am not a gifted wordsmith crafting images. My backup hearing aids ARE lit. They’re an old Sky children’s model from ebay. They have a button through which an LED blinks patterns to signal things to a child’s caretakers, such as Roger connectivity, low battery, etc. The team I work with–we are all scientists and engineers, so the geek factor is through the roof–said they like the blinking. So I never turned it off. Oh, and the HAs themselves are pink! Thus, the turn of phrase you liked was from actual experience. I resemble at least a Cessna.

4 Likes

@cohen: You never Cessna to amaze me, Barb! :joy: :joy:

:chair::chair::chair::chair:
Spud

Ain’t that the plane truth?

1 Like