Alone In The Car: Pairing Options

I’m enjoying my new Phonak M90s!

I have a longish commute, alone in my little Honda Fit, during which I like to listen to audiobooks, occasionally to music, and very occasionally to Siri’s driving directions from my iPhone. Should I:

• let my iPhone send the audio by Bluetooth to the Honda’s speakers?

• keep my iPhone paired to my hearing aids, stream the audio directly, and leave the Honda bluetooth off?

I use my iPhone for driving directions and music in my car. I use the car’s speakers. The music is better there. My hearing aids just cannot produce the bass the car’s speakers can.

I kind of use a hybrid version. For music I use the car’s speakers but I like using Amazon Music via Apple CarPlay as the quality is much better than Sirius/XM in my opinion. For navigation I often use Waze through the iPhone without it being connected to the car. This way, the navigation instructions go directly to my Marvels and my passengers are not even aware I’m using Waze.

In the car I enjoy the car radio and having my phone Bluetoothed to the car system for calls.

I recommend that you use the car audio system with the speakers. If you are streaming directly to your HAs, you will be less able to hear other sounds, such as vehicles beside you, horns and sirens. I think in some places, it’s not even legal to use “headphones” while driving and streaming directly to HAs is effectively the same as headphones. (Not to mention that you will have to unpair them from your phone to pair them to your car. Do you really want to go through that every time you drive your car?)