Allergies Cause of Hearing Loss?

Has anyone been diagnosed with hearing loss due to allergies? After trying the usual treatments and undergoing many tests, my ENT says it could be due to an allergy and suggests allergy tests.

1 Like

In a circuitous way, I’m sure my hearing loss is affected by my allergies. Over the years I’ve had numerous middle ear infections, and eustachian tubes that don’t function properly. About three years ago my ENT referred me to an allergist, and now with daily over the counter Claritin and prescription Flonase, and injections every three weeks, my allergies are under control, my eustachian tube function is better, and my hearing has improved quite a bit.

1 Like

Hi!
Help to find, where you can buy antiallergic drugs online.

About six months ago my audiologist noticed a big drop in hearing for my left ear. The loss was a change from about 65 dB to 85-90dB. My audiologist suggested that I see an ENT. The ENT put a temporary drain (I guess to drain fluid from behind my left eardrum. The affect after about 3 days was dramatic: about a 25 dB improvement. The ENT suggested that I use Flonase and that if the loss returned that I should see an allergist. I have been using Flonase and Allegra but the loss is slowly returning. I am considering returning to the ENT to have him put in a permanent drain because I don’t like taking a lot of prescription medicines. I might try Allegra D, or do any of the readers have another OTC medication that may help this problem?

1 Like

BTW I have never had any ear infections due to this situation, only hearing loss.

1 Like

I finally was able to input my audiogram (I switched from Chrome to Firefox). If a reader looks at them they will see how much worse my left ear is than my right. After the ENT put in a temporary drain, they then tested about the same in both ears, but now they’re going back to the way they were before the drain. I have tried using Flonase and Allegra without success. I am now going to try Zyrtec D. Any thoughts? It is strange that only my left ear is affected.

Up until this year, I’ve never had allergy problems.

Allergies are being a right pain this year. It’s stoping the pressure equalising between my outer ear and middle ear. It’s so so painful. I’m waiting on grommets to correct the problem.

ENT said it’s probably heyfever even tho I don’t get any other symptoms.

1 Like

I would like to report success in clearing up my left ear. I had tried Flonase and Allegra with no success, but today I tried Zyrtec D and Bingo! It cleared right up! Haven’t had an audiogram done yet, but it is definitely clear now.

1 Like

Some users may experience allergic reactions from hearing aids. This may be because the material used in the hearing or the cleaning agent used to maintain the hearing aid is not good enough. If it is so, all that you have to do is to clean the hearing aid as well as your ears.