AirPods Pro Issues

I don’t know where to put this, so I am putting it here. I was an early adopter of using AirPods Pro as HAs, and own multiple pairs. Initially, I was able to use them in a lot of situations because I stream a lot, and I am on the phone a lot as well. However, about 6 months ago, they started sounding terrible on my iPhone. They still work fine on my iPad though.

I have tried to create new audiograms, reset them, and every other step, but they just don’t work for me anymore. Has anyone else had this issue? If not, I’m going to wipe my phone and start over which I don’t want to do!

You said you own multiple pairs of AirPods Pro. So do all of them exhibit problems with your iPhone, or is it just the one? If the earlier, and none of them exhibit any problem with your iPad, then yeah, maybe the culprit is your iPhone.

I have AirPods Pro 1 and 2, and AirPods Max. They all work perfectly with the audiogram that is imported into the Health app on the iPhone on my iPad Pro 11 and 12.9. It’s just the iPhone that is the issue, so I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

To me, the audiogram is working, because I have no issues with the iPadOS recognizing it. I just think the timeframe of it happening is a bit ironic, because it first started right about the time the OTC Hearing Aid Act went into place. I presumed Apple was backing off for compliance reasons.

Do you have an iPhone and AirPods Pro or Max, and do you have the same issue?

You could try and reset the network settings of your iPhone. Google it if you want to give this a go. Not sure that would fix your issue though

That is for wifi and cellular radios. I’m familiar with it, and tried it. It didn’t work. I’m more interested in knowing if anyone uses AirPods Pro in a hearing aid capacity, and has had the same issue. I have reported it to Apple as a beta tester multiple times with no response, so I figured this would be one place I’d find others that use them and have the same issue.

It is my case, I have a pair of AirPods Pro first generation. Never experienced the issue you are having. I own an iPad 9 and an iPhone 14.

1 Like

AirPods Pro work with imported audiogram with iPhone 12 Pro 16.5 for me.

1 Like

I have a pair of AirPods Pro 2 working with an iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.5. I’ve had no problem at all with it. What iOS is your iPhone on? I assume you’re saying that all 3 of your AirPods (Max, Pro 1 and 2) exhibit the same bad sound issue all at the same time with your iPhone, starting about 6 months ago? If so, then maybe there’s a Bluetooth issue with your iPhone.

Have you tried any other non-AirPods BT device with that same iPhone to see if it still sound bad? This is to confirm or rule out whether it’s a BT issue, or it’s an interaction between the AirPods and the iPhone issue, which possibly relates to the audiogram in the Health app, which I assume you have tried to remove and rebuild?

After you remove the audiogram, but before you rebuild (or reimport) a new audiogram, does it sound bad anymore without the audiogram in place? This is to see whether it’s an audiogram related issue or not.

How did you try to remove and rebuild your audiogram? Did you go so far as to remove/delete the Health app on your iPhone first, re-download and re-install the Health app back to your iPhone from the Apple store? It’s possible that the Health app on your iPhone got corrupted.

Have you done any iOS upgrade/update on your iPhone since? Which iPhone do you have?

Are you able to try to get your 3 AirPods to connect on another iPhone (a friend’s or spouse’s) to see if they exhibit the same issue on another iPhone or not?

All great questions. I have answered some of them previously. I’m running an iPhone 14 Pro Max on iOS 16.6 beta 2. I have been a beta tester for a while, but another answer made me see there is logic I wasn’t thinking of before.

Since other people are not having the same issue, and I have a scrolling list of bluetooth connected devices not having issues, it is certainly not the bluetooth radio. However, the issue arose during an iOS 16 beta. Therefore, I think a file got corrupted as a result of a beta release, and it didn’t rectify itself moving forward.

I am going to have to rebuild the phone this weekend. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue, and I can continue to use my AirPods products. Not a fun project, but a necessary one. I am thankful for this community, because I had been trying to find an answer to this. There’s not a lot of people running around using AirPods Pro or Max as hearing devices!

2 Likes