Aid works out of the box!

Since Jan this year, I’ve tried 4 Oticon IIC/CIC and 1 Widex mini CIC. They had horrible physical fit and/or gain. I was thinking I had a messed up ear and my audiogram was too strange. Was giving up but my audiologist somehow didn’t give up on me and suggested to try another.

This time I have Phonak CIC and it’s fine out of the box! There is no physical pain, my ear isn’t red and angry, the mold is nice and smooth, it doesn’t poke out my outer ear, and it doesn’t fall out. They were able to put a nice big vent hole in it; I have small ear and the other ones were only able to put a tiny vent hole (some even looked like a joke as if someone just manually skived a tiny hole).
The gain setting out of the box, after calibrating with their software, works; I didn’t scream that it was too loud! We had to manually set the others lower than the lowest setting. The best part is the included MiniControl; this is extremely helpful at this initial stage that I can tap and lower the gain a tiny bit on my own.

This Phonak is the dumbest one compared to the others but that’s exactly what I was looking for; hopefully there isn’t extra processing built in as we couldn’t find anything to turn off. Sadly, the Oticons sound significantly better; it was beautiful. This Phonak is very blah sounding and sometimes sounds really strange - e.g. clapping has a bit metallic sound (?!).
All aids were at the same price point at either the lowest or second lowest tier.

The accessory dept needs help though. Battery door isn’t snappy. No cleaning or battery removal tool. After only a few days, the case doesn’t close all the way. I’ll use the accessories from the duds.

3 Likes

Hi @PianoJoy
Assuming with CIC you have some of the Evolv series?
Maybe trying another prescription formula as this helped me. Or just turning the knobs a bit in the Target software to improve your hearing experience. Good luck

Edit: I ment the Vitro (as I have myself). I liked the Starkey Evolv also very much but the BT was less impressive so I choose for the Phonak.

Thanks, I’ll ask my audi during followup to see if anything can be tweaked. It’s a Vitro

Giant difference in battery life too; these last over 2x as long :thinking:.

In comparence to which one? 312 batteries or rechargeables?

If you are interested in the in-depth possibilities of fine tuning of the Phonak there is a very nice (older) live webinar at https://www.audiologyonline.com/ called “Advanced Target Programming” from Erika Porter course # 34524 Probably you have to subscribe to be able to see it…

1 Like