After Costco Hearing Aid Return Had Appointment Issues

My return (Rexton BiCore) went smoothly, it took 15 minutes. I waited 5 days and called today and left message that I needed to make an appointment for new ones,
One of the examiner/fitters called me back. She started the conversation by telling me I’d returned 2 pairs and she didn’t think they could help me. I told her I’m using my original ones, and the only ones I returned were the Rexton Bi-Cores
She said okay let’s make you an appointment with me and see if there are any that might work. I thanked her.
My goal was to get the new Rexton Reach after seeing the Costco Guy’s review about the better microphones etc. My biggest issue with the bicores was noisy situations were difficult . Do you think they will refuse to sell me them? If they do can I appeal or go to a different Costco ? Thanks

1 Like

You could try appealing, but I think any Costco hearing centre in the US will be able to pull up your details if noted. That’s assuming they have a national database of customers.

Hey mate, given that high frequencies are crucial in helping us discern speech in noise I don’t see you ever having much success in a noisy restaurant given that you essentially have unaidable hearing above 2 kHz. I could be wrong, but it’s unlikely. Do Costco do QSiN testing (quick speech in noise)? That can give some indication of how you’d do in the more complex listening environments. You may need to couple a hearing aid with a remote mic system like a Roger Select/ON to have a decent chance but unfortunately you’re loss is a particularly difficult one for noisy environments.

3 Likes

Just tell them you want LE Audio. The old Rextons won’t get that new feature.

Does the new Rexton Reach have LE Audio ?

(post deleted by author)

It has the necessary hardware which will be activated by a firmware upgrade in the future.

1 Like

I’ve been to Costcos for service in 3 different parts of the US. They all found my records. I returned one pair of HAs, but that was basically an exchange. I was told that a 2nd return might cause a problem. After the one return, I’ve had no difficulty getting an appointment or service.

Costco definitely does have a national database where they can see that you have trialed and returned HAs.

After I trialed and returned two pairs I was told they could not help me and I should go to a private audi. I had to beg them to let me have a short trial with a third pair. I returned those also, so I don’t imagine Costco will ever sell me another pair again.

Costco’s sales model is designed to get customers in, sell them a pair of HAs, have them back in for one or maybe two more adjustments, and then on to the next customer. This works well for most people, but serving a challenging patient quickly becomes unprofitable for Costco.

I’d suggest being very nice and friendly to your Costco audi. They do have some discretion, but their default seems to be to cut you off forever after you return two pairs.

Are you going to try Costco again when newer aids are released? Was the reason for the return the hardware or the Costco service?

At the time I didn’t realize I had an acoustic neuroma growing in my left ear. I think I was trying to achieve a level of hearing that was probably impossible (I’m still trying).

The first Costco HCP wasn’t that good but I thought his replacement was better. I think in my case, their recommendation that I consult a private audi was probably correct. But I think that recommendation was more about Costco’s expense in fitting me than it was an audiological recommendation.

My audiologist at Costco said pretty much that without saying that he begrudges the extra work he’s doing in my case. I think he takes his profession seriously. He hasn’t put a hard limit on how many returns he’s prepared to tolerate, but the lines of communication are open.

I don’t believe so. They are in the difficult situation where their lows are normal/mild but their highs are profound so a super or ultra powered aid would overamplify the lows.

2 Likes

This is a perfect situation for frequency lowering technology. I am sure you know all about this but others might not.

This technology worked great for me until my low frequency hearing got worse.

2 Likes

I believe Costco is going to start selling a Jabra BTE aid. Would think that fittings aids for someone who needs a BTE aid is going to be more challenging than fitting RIC aids. Will be interesting to see if this changes the Costco model

Many visits and still had issues in restaurants/small groups. New Rexton Reach could solve this, reviews have been good. (Costco Guy that Reviews)

My jaded view. I’ve been wearing hearing aids and following the forum for 8 years now. My take is just about everybody (including many “normal” hearing people) has trouble in restaurants/small groups. During the entire 8 years I’ve been on the forum hearing aid manufacturers have promised great improvements in speech in noise. Most people still aren’t happy. For the best chance of understanding speech in noise, get a remote microphone. Nobody is going to let you trial aids indefinitely looking for a solution to speech in noise issues.

6 Likes