Adjusting tube length to control dome position in ear canal

Hi everybody
This concerns Phonak Lumity 90. I have the impression the dome is to far inside my ear canal, which causes too much exclusion of external sound.
Now I wonder if I could cut off a little off the tube. Is this common practise? Maybe there is even a guide about optimal positioning? I assume it depends on ear anatomy, so should be adjusted individually.

What done are you talking about, a closed dome? you most certainly shouldnā€™t ā€œtrimā€ the dome, you just swap it out for a smaller/bigger size, if still having an issue then really a custom made mold could well be what you need, a perfect fit when made correctly.

1 Like

Yes, a closed dome, but i am talking about the clear tube leading from the hearing aid to the receiver.

Oh I see you have NaĆ­da BTE aid, so your using a slim tube ( thin ) or earhook and tube I wonder.
Slim tube you canā€™t ā€œtrimā€ but obviously you can do that to the tube, but how is the dome connected to that?
looking at you your audiogram I wonder why this aid, as Audeo RIC would of been a choice.

Hi Cytex
The receiver and the tube are one piece. You can only change to a shorter receiver if your current one is too long. Please donā€™t trim it. It will break the receiver.
You can find the size of your receiver on its coloured end. The number indicates tube length, such as 1,2,3. The letter indicates the power of the receiver, such as S,M,P. For example if your receiver is 3P and you feel itā€™s too long, you can ask your aud to change it to 2P. They should have a tool to measure the tube length.

1 Like

I see, thank you very much.

1 Like

If you have Phonak Audeo Lumity then you have an RIC type hearing aid and this type of HA having external receivers which are connected via thin cables (covered inside a hard plastic tube), The domes were placed on the receiver , the receiver (speaker) is at the end of the cable (blue part in picture with 0S ) , and on the other end of the cable is a connector with smal pins.
This is a picture of Phonak RIC receiver lenght 0 , S = standard receiver
Ex ric

If you have Phonak Naida Lumity then you have a BTE type hearing aid, and this type of hearing aids can come with Slim Tube (about 1,5mm diameter) or thick tubing (about 3,5mm diameter)

• Hearing aids with thick tubings having an hook where the tube is mounted, The Tube can be separated from the hook and the tube could be shortened or repaced against a longer tube.
    At the ear side an custom mold is connected to the tube.

• Hearing aids with Thin Tubes have no seperate hook, and the mounting side and the Thin-Tube is one peace and can not seperated. On the ear side is an mount where you can click on standard domes.

• Thin Tubes are available in four different lenghts ( and side: left/right side ), look at the end of the Slim Tube , there you can see the specific length and side imprinted.
    see picture: blue 1L = length 1, left side ,
    Slim Tubs are available in length: 0L, 1L , 2L , 3L (for left side) or 0R,1R,2R,3R for right side)

• Thin tubes can not cut and shorten , because is is one piece of plastic.

• ask you audi or retailer about a shorter Phonak Slim Tube 4.0, 0 (zero) is the shortest tubing,

For Phonak Naida a Phonak Slim Tube 4.0 is optional , or a hook

Picture of Phona Slim Tube 4.0

Phonak Slim Tube 4 a

3 Likes

Thank you very much - I realize I had a misconception about the functionality. That tube does not transmit sound but is an electrical connection to the receiver, which functions as microphone and loudspeaker.
Regarding my issue, I have changed from the closed dome to the open domes. They are more comfortable to wear and allow sound to pass more freely.

Iā€™m looking for very short SLIM tubes for my 2019 ReSound BTE HAs. Presently they have domes and ā€˜slim tubesā€™ which are slightly too long. On the end near the ear both say "ā€œ2Bā€, one blue and one red. My Costco audi has none shorter, but said he would ā€œask aroundā€. Anyone know where I could obtain some shorter ones??

These are 0B which means the shortest to 3B so the longest.

Not sure if they post worldwide tho.

I just googled.

They have a US Store.

Google comes in handy when you canā€™t find something.

Thank you! I use search engines a lot but didnā€™t think of it for this!

1 Like